How To Become A Game Developer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 uppersharpnose 07 Sep 2013
I am heading to a career in Computer Programming...

Therefore I am wondering how to get into Games Development/Game Programming.

I would Really appreciate help and info on this matter.

Regards Seraphimian
 colin8ll 07 Sep 2013
In reply to uppersharpnose: I know Abertay uni (based in Dundee) has a very good games course and the city is a real hub for games development. I believe Abertay still has close links with he likes of Rockstar (now based in Edinburgh) responsible for the grand theft series.
 tlm 07 Sep 2013
In reply to uppersharpnose:

Here is an article written by a games developer, telling you a bit more about what you could expect from the job (it is a bit hard to read in places, but you can work it out if you are determined).

http://www.altdevblogaday.com/2012/11/21/what-they-dont-tell-you-about-bein...

and here is a good article as to how to go about becoming one:

http://www.fastgraph.com/makegames/chapt1.html
 mp3ferret 07 Sep 2013
In reply to uppersharpnose: I worked in the games industry for a while ( as a developer (c++)). I'd say you need a good background in computer science (or a more specific software engineering degree), maths and maybe physics.

I must point out though - that although it was the most enjoyable job I've had - it also paid the least.

Conversely - I have also worked for a bank - which was the best paid job i've ever had - but hated it every day.

I know there are some uni's that offer games specific degrees / hnd's etc - but not sure who's offering them at the moment.7

Marc
 lordyosch 07 Sep 2013
In reply to uppersharpnose: my bro is an Indy game developer, background in the 'proper'games industry.

Degree from Manchester met in computing, then placement in software house doing Java (I think) then onto games in C++
 tlm 08 Sep 2013
In reply to mp3ferret:

> I must point out though - that although it was the most enjoyable job I've had - it also paid the least.
>
> Conversely - I have also worked for a bank - which was the best paid job i've ever had - but hated it every day.

In the article that I linked to above, he started off working for a games company (bad pay, very boring work, lack of autonomy) and then moved to having a day job (better pay, less boring) and writing his own games independently in the weekends and evenings (more fun, more autonomy)

I think a lot of younger people don't realise the difference between playing a game and developing a game. They think it will just be like playing minecraft all day long.... (probably not you though, lowersharpnose).
needvert 08 Sep 2013

Do a search on Slashdot, read the comments. There's been a story up in the last 3 months on this, the comments painted it out to be not all that great a job, though it depended on the company a lot.

Taking a guess here, games development probably has more kids wanting to get into it than industrial control systems. The latter can be pretty damned cool, and the more niche you are and critical to shit the world needs, the more cash you can get.
Rekotin 08 Sep 2013
I've worked in the industry for 10 years, all of it in game design. Your experience can be massively dependant on the studios and I know people who've had the worst luck ever whereas I've been lucky and have worked in some great studios. On this front, I'd just say that you need to follow your gut and make hard calls if the place and culture is for you and if not, move on - otherwise it'll eat you up.

Regardless of what you're currently doing or studying, if you want into the industry then the best thing by far is to make games. That will by far be the biggest ticket in any interview if you show them stuff you've made. Even today, this is exceptionally rare which is sad. That by itself will tell anyone that you are actually passionate about making games and that is important. Nowadays, this is easier than ever.

Alternatively, if you've already worked on some games then talking about your contribution and the problems faced/solved will go far in the interviews since it establishes that you didn't just coast along the project.

Especially on games programming side, it's obviously good to have some degree behind it since it gives you a lot of insight into software development which is different from "just coding". But regardless of how you get that, you should create your own games as it pretty much doubles your learning, gives you understanding of the problems faced in the development these days and just generally allows you to talk about a variety of things regarding game development in a smart fashion.

That all said, if you're not passionate about making games and wanting to make games other people play (remember, you are not necessarily the target audience) then I'd say look for something else to do and just enjoy games as a hobby. If you're in it for any other reason than that, it will eat you up when the going gets tough and people around you will notice.

The pay is also what you make of it - it's probably ok to just get your foot in a few projects in the beginning and not mind the salary, but later on, you want to make sure that there is a fair and transparent system for awarding those who deliver.

I've had so many positive adventures due to being in the industry that my life would have been so much duller if it weren't for it (I originally discovered climbing as my company back then paid for the basic course for whoever was interested). The industry is global so you can go pretty much anywhere (I'm not originally from UK, but wanted to come here, so here I am).
 elsewhere 08 Sep 2013
I heard a story about somebody who changed jobs in games industry and on their first day at the new company they said "look at this code I brought with me". They were sacked immediately. The new employer didn't trust them to avoid using pirated code that the new employer could be sued over.
 RomTheBear 09 Sep 2013
In reply to uppersharpnose: You need first to be an extremeley competent and efficent programmer.
Then and some said before, make games on your own, this will open many doors for you especially if thye have been successfull. At the moment the industry is really moving toward mobile games so that is something to think about as well.
 Jon Jones 09 Sep 2013

You need to master the Domino's menu and other various menu's for late night food during crunch time.

(I've in the games industry for the last 15 years. Currently doing up to 80 hours weeks finishing off my work on Ryse)
 BAdhoc 09 Sep 2013

Teesside Uni has a few games courses,, good industry links with a festival (animex I think it's called)

Bournemouth Uni is the national centre for computer animations and stuff like that too so have a look there

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...