Manchester climbing scene beta

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Leftee 16 Aug 2013
Hello - I'm looking at moving to Manchester towards the end of the year and was wondering about the best area to live in as a climber? I'd like to have easy access to Peak and heard that after work cragging is doable from SE areas. Access to N Wales is a consideration as well.

Heaton Moor was recommended to me by a non-climbing friend as nice area and looks close to Stockport Wall.

On that point, what's the best all round wall for routes/bouldering/training?

Any beta much appreciated!
 nickhoward 16 Aug 2013
In reply to Leftee: it depends on what type of climbing you prefer.. if it's natural grit then south east Manchester area is pretty accessible for the peak and cheshire.

If you prefer quarries then north Manchester, out towards Bolton or Rossendale is the place to be (the Wiltons, Anglezark, Troy, Denham and many others) - plus you're still close to the M60 so you can be in N Wales in 1.5hrs (or Dales or Lakes in about the same)..

cheers, Nick
 Mike Stretford 16 Aug 2013
In reply to Leftee:

> On that point, what's the best all round wall for routes/bouldering/training?
>
> Any beta much appreciated!

Stockport, by a country mile....... but I actually use a combo of Rockover and MCC on their respective multi climb deals, as Stockport isn't convenient for me.
 ByEek 16 Aug 2013
In reply to Leftee: Its a bit of a compromise. You have to balance how long it takes to get to work against how long it takes to get to the Peak. The bottom line is that of a week day evening, the Peak is about 1.5 to 2 hours from town centre. Wilton and the Lancs quarries are 30 mins to an hour. If you live out in the likes of New Mills / Glossop, you are in the heart of the countryside but your commute into town will be up to 1.5 hours if you have to drive. The A6 in other words sucks but they are building a bypass sometime in the future. Manchester is still worth moving to though. There is a great life to be had and north Wales and the Lakes are about 90 mins away.
astley007 16 Aug 2013
In reply to Leftee:
I live on the NW side of Manchester near to the M60/M61 network
Cheshire Sandstone..30mins, Wilton Quarries..30mins...Can be in Yorks in an hour. North Wales Limestone or the Lakes in 1.5hrs.
Why "battle" through Broadbottom and Glossop to get to the peak?
All the main Manchester/Stockport walls have there good and bad points (look up Broughton Wall...the best bouldering in the World)
Manchester a great, vibrant city..visit the Pevril of the Peak Pub in the city centre, its where the rock and ice club used to meet, have a pint and think of what plans Joe Brown and Don Whillans must have made there!!
Other considerations are what transport you have? and how much you want to pay for accomodation?
hope that helps
Nick B
OP Leftee 16 Aug 2013
Thanks for all the info - really helpful. Hadn't really considered Lancashire quarries and interesting that they're closer than Peak. Climbing looks great as well. Not really set on Peak grit but do like slabs and have a few mates over in Sheffield.

Planning on getting a car of some description for climbing but hoping to get to work on train or bike. Rents- anything has to be better than London!
 snapperdan 16 Aug 2013
In reply to Leftee: I live in Didsbury, which is in the south of the city and I'd say Manchester is a great place to live if you're a climber.

You can get to Hobson Moor in less than half an hour, the Chew Valley in less than half and hour and Windgather/ Castle Naze in about 40 mins.

Wilton and Anglezarke are reachable within half an hour for me straight from work (Salford).

Eastern Edges and the Roaches are a struggle after work with traffic, but possible in mid-summer if you can get out of work early. At the weekend you'll get to Stanage in about an hour or less if you miss the M67 traffic by setting off early.

I can get to the south Lakes and Langdale in just under two hours and the same for North Wales.

Over the Moors is a brilliant guide if you're based in Manchester.

Wall wise MCC has the nicest facilities and routes IMO, but Awesome Walls has better bouldering and less shirtless egos wondering around! The shop at Awesome is miles better (and cheaper) than MCC.

You tend to get a lot of young student types at MCC, which is no bad thing if you're a similar age and looking for partners.

Only been to Rockover once, but it's pretty good and easy to get to from Victoria Station..
 J B Oughton 16 Aug 2013
In reply to Leftee: Manchester is a great place to live as a climber! I need say no more about the outdoors stuff as people have mentioned most of the best bits - especially hobby!

In terms of walls, I'd have to recommend MCC, it has the best combination of routes and bouldering in the area. Although rockover is probably more extensive if its just bouldering that you're after... Although that might just because I'm a 'young student type' or possibly even just a 'shirtless ego'
 snapperdan 16 Aug 2013
In reply to Joughton: Ha Ha! To be fair I'm too old to be a young studenty type and not ripped enough to be a shirtless ego!!

Benstar 16 Aug 2013
In reply to Leftee: heaton moors a nice area but its not the cheapest. I live in heaton chapel which is next to heaton moor. Its cheaper and you'd still be able to walk to the train. I go to awesome walls in Stockport quite a lot. It a 2 min drive. Do go to MCC and rock over but most of the time cant be arsed with the traffic. An hour or so in any direction will put at some top crags.
 stuartholmes 17 Aug 2013
In reply to Leftee: Bolton is a good bet. As loads of people have said loads of quarries. Check lancashire rock online. Also good little uni wall in Bolton centre very cheap entry and great for training. Also not mentioned Climb Rochdale and boulder uk within a good distance.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...