Strava - any good?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rollo 25 Jan 2013
Anyone use Strava?

I have a Garmin with heart rate (no power). I'm wondering about going Premium on Strava. What I most want is the ability to see for each session how long I spent in each HR zone. e.g.

136-144 - 45mins
145-155 - 12mins
155-165 - 7mins

etc. Any feedback?
 Liam M 25 Jan 2013
In reply to Rollo: Do you just want to know for the Strava segments, or your whole ride? If the latter have a look at Fetcheveryone.com. It's mainly a running site, but works well for cycling too, and has more analysis tools than you can shake a mini pump at, all for free.
 waldenmatt 25 Jan 2013
In reply to Rollo:
If you can generate a tcx file from your device (upload to Garmin Connect, export, etc etc), then these can be opened in excel as an xml table.
I have my 310XT set to record at 1 sec. intervals, so each row on the table is 1 sec.
You can then count the rows per HR value to get number of seconds @ each HR, which is sort of what you want and doesn't take very long.
bit of a fudge, hope it is of assistance!

cheers
f
OP Rollo 25 Jan 2013
In reply to fawlty:

Thanks both. I knew I'd find some fellow geeks on UKC.

I'll try these options
OP Rollo 25 Jan 2013
In reply to fawlty:
> (In reply to Rollo)
> If you can generate a tcx file from your device (upload to Garmin Connect, export, etc etc), then these can be opened in excel as an xml table.

Once I have the .tcx file how do I open it in Excel? THanks
 waldenmatt 25 Jan 2013
In reply to Rollo:
In excel, through the open dialog change the drop down 'files of type' to all files *.* and then select the tcx.
My excel does a lot of complaining about there not being a valid 'schema' (its an xml thing), but it will then ask you if you're OK for it to create one itself, just click yes to everything and eventually you come out with a table.
bon chance
OP Rollo 25 Jan 2013
In reply to fawlty:

Got it, thanks.

This is quite a lot of post-processing. Will see whether a decent bunch of fumulae/macro can cut it down enough to make it worth while!
 waldenmatt 25 Jan 2013
In reply to Rollo: Just pivot on the lot, put your HR as the row field and count of something else as the values. Not really that much...
 yorkshireman 25 Jan 2013
In reply to Rollo:

I use Strava and love it (free membership) but mainly use it for running. I'm pretty sure I used to get that kind of analysis, but they seem to have dialed it back.

However this morning I noticed that they're offering me a free trial of premium - not sure if its random or whether they're doing it for everyone. I might check it to see what its like. Its not that much to upgrade but I've been holding off a while.

One thing I've never been clear on is this: If you're using free with HR data for ages, then upgrade to Premium, will you be able to see the analysis of all your old data from before you were a premium member? I certainly hope so.
OP Rollo 25 Jan 2013
In reply to fawlty:

ASsuming I have it set to 1sec intervals. Which I don't at the moment as it eats up the memory. Perhaps I will change this....
 balmybaldwin 25 Jan 2013
In reply to Rollo:
> Anyone use Strava?
>
> I have a Garmin with heart rate (no power). I'm wondering about going Premium on Strava. What I most want is the ability to see for each session how long I spent in each HR zone. e.g.
>
> 136-144 - 45mins
> 145-155 - 12mins
> 155-165 - 7mins
>
> etc. Any feedback?

Garmin Training Centre does this for you straight from the device - you just need to set the thresholds for your training zones (it has defaults, but I find these aren't quite right)

On the other point, Strava is very good. If you do a search for clubs, I set up a UKC club which a number of UKCrs are members of... the more the merrier!
OP Rollo 25 Jan 2013
In reply to balmybaldwin:

> Garmin Training Centre does this for you straight from the device - you just need to set the thresholds for your training zones (it has defaults, but I find these aren't quite right)
>
> On the other point, Strava is very good. If you do a search for clubs, I set up a UKC club which a number of UKCrs are members of... the more the merrier!

Ah yes, I used to use this before Garmin Connect. Will have a go at installing it again

wilkesley 27 Jan 2013
In reply to Rollo:

I am pretty sure sportstracker.com will do this for you. Not got any HR tracks to hand ATM to check. It's free and has free Android and iWotsit apps.
 Brass Nipples 27 Jan 2013
In reply to Rollo:

Garmn connect will do that for you and is free

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...