Photograpy course Peakdistrict

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 teapot 22 Jan 2012
I am after a suitable intro course one or two day Budget is pretty tight as its a present for me off my father in law (and I am skint). I would like to be able to take reasonable/good climbing/ bouldering photos and landscape shots too. Plus be able to take better infamily photos. I don't expect this to happen with a 1 day course, and I will do a proper course in the summer. I hope any course would include an evening reviewing the photos etc.

A course on the 23rd-25th Feb would be ideal (my hols and just after my bday). But could do a weekend instead.

I have owned a DSLR for since Christmas and have read most of NIKON D5100 for dummies, so have a reasonable idea of the functions of my camera and a vague idea of the technical issues of photography, but little practical experience.

So far I have mainly used auto setting, although I have played around with semi programming A and S modes (depth of field etc). Definitely having trouble with exposure outside.

Any suggested courses much appreciated.
 Joss 22 Jan 2012
In reply to teapot:

A friend recommended these to me, not sure of cost but they are based in the Peak and are available on your dates;

http://www.swinfocus.co.uk/private.asp
OP teapot 22 Jan 2012
In reply to Joss:

I appreciate the response. Unfortunately those prices are way out of my league, but not unsurprisingly. I imagine a group course will have to do and I will have to be flexible on the dates.

Anyone else got any ideas?
 Dan Lane 22 Jan 2012
In reply to teapot:

I can't help you with the one day course in the Peak, but i can offer some advice on your longer course in summer.

Last September i was on a weekend workshop run by Lukasz Warzecha. I have to say that it was absolutely fabulous. It was only a weekend but we had such an action packed schedule that we learnt loads. It wasn't just how to take good images that we learnt, but how to edit them, and then how we should go about getting them published if that was what we wanted to do.

I've no idea if he will be running one in summer but it's worth asking i reckon. Here is a link to one he is doing this weekend for a better idea: http://blog.lwimages.co.uk/workshops/

Hope that helps and good luck with the photography.
Dan
 Simon 22 Jan 2012
In reply to Dan Lane:

...Could this signal the return of the defunct UKC Peak Photo Meet...?

I learned more on those that I ever would from an expensive "course"

Maybe Simon C & Mr Craig h will be able to help too?!

...just a thought

Si

PS: Like your snow shots - we've had no white stuff to speak of this side o'ert hill...bah!
 Alex Ekins 22 Jan 2012
In reply to teapot:
I will be running some workshops throughout the year. I have one-day street photography workshops in Sheffield, 26th May and 2nd June and will be running climbing/outdoor workshops in August. No details on my site yet but have a look anyway http://alexekins.co.uk
Also I would recommend Lukasz Warzecha's courses.
Cheers
Alex
 Dan Lane 22 Jan 2012
In reply to Simon:

Sounds like a mighty fine idea Si! I'm in, as will Craig i reckon.

Don't worry, out snow only stayed for a day or so, those photos were taken as the snow was melting at about 5 degrees!
 ChrisJD 23 Jan 2012
In reply to Simon:

> ...Could this signal the return of the defunct UKC Peak Photo Meet...?

So are you going to arrange one?
 OldProfile 23 Jan 2012
In reply to teapot:

My brother in law is a landscape photographer who runs workshops, check out his prices/info/work here http://www.elipascall-willis.com/one-to-one

OldProfile 23 Jan 2012
In reply to teapot:

And significantly cheaper than In Focus.
 Richard Carter 23 Jan 2012
In reply to teapot:

Here's an idea. Why don't we simply have a UKC meet up. I'm sure we'd all be willing to impart out collective knowledge....
 Anni 23 Jan 2012
In reply to Richard Carter:

You mean like the one Simon suggested!?!

To the OP:

I personally got enormous amounts out of a one day course with having a little previous knowledge. Photography clubs are also a brilliant cheap local way to get lots of experience. By submitting pics to competitions you get some great constructive opinions on how to improve. Theres also a lot of members that are more than willing to give advice for free as well
 craig h 24 Jan 2012
In reply to Dan Lane:

I'd be happy to get out for a wander in the Peak if anyone wants to suggest some dates?
 Tall Clare 24 Jan 2012
In reply to craig h:

I'd be up for this but I live a bit far away now. Hrrmph!
 Dan Lane 24 Jan 2012
In reply to teapot:

Is it worth starting a new thread for a photography meet? I'll do so anyway...
 craig h 24 Jan 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

Have you moved form Uddersfield?
 Dan Lane 24 Jan 2012
 Tall Clare 24 Jan 2012
In reply to craig h:

I'm just outside Skipton now. Not that far away, but the Peak is suddenly a bit of a trog...
 Richard Carter 24 Jan 2012
In reply to Anni:

I didn't read up :-P

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...