nikwax down proof

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BigBrother 03 Oct 2011
I have a down gilet that I am going to wash and wondered about using nikwax down proof on it at the same time.I have had a search but can't find much about it here but did see a comment elsewhere that if the stuff was any good then manufacturers would be proofing down as standard, which I can see the logic of.

Has anyone used it and what are your experiences?
 CharlieMack 04 Oct 2011
In reply to BigBrother:

I've heard that normal tech wash is basically the same. Since I'm currently trying to track some down to wash my down bag.

Not tried it yet but everyone iv spoke to says it works well. Just need to be careful when drying it.
OP BigBrother 04 Oct 2011
In reply to BigBrother: Thanks for the reply but I am not talking about the stuff for washing down (Down Wash) but the stuff for adding water resistance to it (Down Proof).

OP BigBrother 05 Oct 2011
In reply to BigBrother: Anyone? I was hoping someone would have used this.
 top cat 05 Oct 2011
In reply to BigBrother:

I used it years ago on a down jacket. I felt that it affected the loft but only very slightly, and certainly helped in damp conditions (when th eeffect on the loft was positive).

However, you shouldn't consider it a waterproofing: it helps in damp conditions, say in a snow hole, but rain etc is still going to 'kill' your down (until you can throughly dry it out again).
 Sharp 06 Oct 2011
In reply to BigBrother: If you're washing the jacket anyway then you might as well but as someone else has said, it wont waterproof it. I used the softshell proof and it did give a water repellent coating but it didn't last long. Looked good under the tap but once I was outside if was pretty pointless.

Re tech wash vs. down wash. I'm not sure what's different about them but I opened the bottles of them side by side the other day and they were different, totally different smell. ALthough I'm sure tech wash would work too.

Ben

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...