Lowering off a single bolt backed up with a prussik

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Greg Murrow 21 Apr 2011
The current Petzyl technical catalogue suggests using a classic prussik knot linked from the climber's harness to the end of the rope that is ascending from the belayer as the lowering climber descends. Should the top bolt fail as the retreating climber takes out the other quickdraws on his way down, the fall would be limited to 'one clip' distance.(Petzyl page 7).
Petzyl state that this has been successfully tested with a 4m fall of an 80kg weight with 7mm cord on a 9.7mm single rope.
The prospect of taking a lead fall onto a prussik sounds scary............but not as scary as definitely hitting the ground if the top bolt fails after you've removed the top half of your quick draws on retreat.
Something like a'shunt' might be safer, but people are more likely to have prussiks on their harness than an extra bit of gear.
Anyone any experience of this method in action?
 The Pylon King 21 Apr 2011
In reply to Greg Murrow:

Yes, lowering off a dodgy peg once.
Greg Murrow 21 Apr 2011
In reply to Pylon King: Did the peg fail?
 jkarran 21 Apr 2011
In reply to Greg Murrow:

Sounds like a good idea when you're lowering off something questionable. If Petzl say they've tested it and it holds (under the specified test conditions) then I'd take that at face value. 7mm is pretty burly for a Prussik though!

No, I've not done it. When I've had to lower off a single bolt it's always been one I'm happy enough to take the chance on.

Can't imagine many people go sport climbing with Prussik loops though
jk
 The Pylon King 21 Apr 2011
In reply to Greg Murrow:
> (In reply to Pylon King) Did the peg fail?

No, but i was definitely a lot safer if it had
 JLS 21 Apr 2011
In reply to Greg Murrow:

>"Something like a'shunt' might be safer"

Yeah, trouble with the shunt might be that it would have to rotate 180deg with the rope during the fall. This might be a bit unpredictable as to whether if it manages to do this depending how you've attached it to your harness. I guess it would require some extention with a sling or cord at the very least.
 Ron Walker 21 Apr 2011
In reply to Greg Murrow:

Not seen that one in the Petzl catalogue but sounds worth doing if you are climbing on a single rope.
With half or double ropes it's not a problem as you can easily rig the lower to be protected by the second rope...
 Jonny2vests 21 Apr 2011
In reply to Greg Murrow:

> Something like a'shunt' might be safer, but people are more likely to have prussiks on their harness than an extra bit of gear.

A shunt most probably would not be safer, they are weak in dynamic load situations and can peel open like a banana.
 Jonny2vests 21 Apr 2011
In reply to Ron Walker:
> (In reply to Greg Murrow)
>
> With half or double ropes it's not a problem as you can easily rig the lower to be protected by the second rope...

How do you mean?
 JLS 21 Apr 2011
In reply to Ron Walker:

>"With half or double ropes it's not a problem as you can easily rig the lower to be protected by the second rope..."

I've done this in the past. Faff for the belayer but very safe.
 JLS 21 Apr 2011
In reply to jonny2vests:

One rope goes though the lower off anchor on which you are lowered, other rope is taken in by the belayer as he lowers you meaning that if the anchor goes the fall would be no bigger than a leader fall onto the quickdraw you haven't yet lowered past and stripped.
 Ron Walker 21 Apr 2011
In reply to jonny2vests:

Pretty simple really and really useful on trad climbs with iffy gear as well as sport!

You have the 'one' lowering rope clipped into the high runner and as you are lowered the belayer takes in the second rope. The second rope is not clipped into top anchor but acts as a backup. When you reach any runners you just unclip the second backup rope each time as you descend.
It's similar to being on lead as you are then protected by the runners should the top anchor fail.

A bit like climbing on video rewind!!!
 Ron Walker 21 Apr 2011
In reply to JLS:

Anyone used to and understanding belaying on trad with half ropes should find it pretty straightforward...

As you say it's very safe compare to the alternative of lowering of a suspect single bit of gear.
 thin bob 21 Apr 2011
In reply to Greg Murrow:
Anyone got a picture or link, please? i'm finding it a bit difficult to picture in my mind....ta!
 Kid Spatula 21 Apr 2011
In reply to Greg Murrow:

Surely if you have taken out all the draws and the bolt fails you are falling the full height of the cliff anyway?
 Robin Head 21 Apr 2011
In reply to thin bob:
google "petzl technical catalogue" and it will come up with a link to a pdf that you can download, the catalogue has pictures in it where it describes this technique
 existing debt 21 Apr 2011
In reply to thin bob:

is this the catalogue?

http://www.petzl.com/catalogue/Petzl-Sport-catalog-2011-EN.pdf

Just trying to figure out whats being talked about aswell

Paul
 existing debt 21 Apr 2011
In reply to existing debt:

Page 6 in that catalogue

It all makes sense now,
Ive never seen that tecnique before, but it looks a good way of doing things

Paul
 Dan Parker 21 Apr 2011
In reply to Greg Murrow:

Sounds sensible to me prussic cord would hold a fall no probs as long as it was in good nick!!!

For the record a shunt 'would not' peel open like a banana and would be fine although a little cumbersome for sport climber types!

Jonny2vests 21 Apr 2011
In reply to Ron Walker and JLS:

I see. Thanks guys.
 Jonny2vests 21 Apr 2011
In reply to Dan Parker:
> (In reply to Greg Murrow)
>
> Sounds sensible to me prussic cord would hold a fall no probs as long as it was in good nick!!!
>
> For the record a shunt 'would not' peel open like a banana and would be fine although a little cumbersome for sport climber types!

It can and has failed in dynamic situations. For the record.

http://www.rope-access.co.uk/docs/RA_Testing_Paper.pdf
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 21 Apr 2011
In reply to Greg Murrow:

A neat idea but worth bearing in mind that sport routes with good bolts and poor belays are not that common.

Chris
 Toerag 21 Apr 2011
In reply to jonny2vests: The 'unfolding like a banana' only happens if the shunt is unable to slide freely to absorb the shock ie. it hits a knot in the rope. In the scenario suggested it will never hit a knot - the slack between the climber and the shunt will come tight onto the climber's harness in the very worst case scenario.
 Jonny2vests 21 Apr 2011
In reply to Toerag:
> (In reply to jonny2vests) The 'unfolding like a banana' only happens if the shunt is unable to slide freely to absorb the shock ie. it hits a knot in the rope. In the scenario suggested it will never hit a knot - the slack between the climber and the shunt will come tight onto the climber's harness in the very worst case scenario.

Forget the banana, its a weak piece of kit in dynamic situations.
 supafly 21 Apr 2011
page 6.. i didn't know obama climbed.
 bigbobbyking 21 Apr 2011
In reply to Chris Craggs:

I assumed he means for situations where you can't reach the belay.
 climber david 21 Apr 2011
In reply to Greg Murrow:

if your that worried about it then why dont you use the other technique suggested by petzl in the catalog clipping the top two bolts with mallions then if the top bolt fails your held by the one below it
 sheppy 21 Apr 2011
In reply to Greg Murrow:
Can I also add to the debate that if you are sufficiently worried about a lower of to go to this length then it probably needs replaced. If you dont feel capable of carrying this out yourself then report it to someone who will.
Greg Murrow 21 Apr 2011
In reply to sheppy: Thanks for all the comments. Final point from me is to emphasise that the prussik is THE 'prussik' ie not a 'french prussik' so commonly used to self protect abseil descents but the one capable of holding in either direction.
Personally I'm grateful to have learned something from the Petzyl info. At the end of the day we make our own decisions.
In reply to sheppy: not really very helpfull if you get to the belay and only once you have got to it do you realise that you would'nt trust it - you still need to get down somehow to be able to ask someone else to change it!
 Morgan Woods 22 Apr 2011
In reply to Greg Murrow:

how often do bolts fail under static loads?

i think you need to worry less and climb more!
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 22 Apr 2011
In reply to bigbobbyking:
>
>
> I assumed he means for situations where you can't reach the belay.

Leave a krab/maillion on the last decent bolt is the easy solution.

Chris
 Southern Bell 22 Apr 2011
> (In reply to bigbobbyking)
> [...]
>
> Leave a krab/maillion on the last decent bolt is the easy solution.
>
> Chris

Did u look at the petzel cat? The prussik is to reduce the distance you would fall if the bolt/belay fails
 Sayon 22 Apr 2011
In reply to Ron Walker: What Ron is saying is the case when you're clipping gear on alternate ropes, but the OP made me think that this could be useful in a situation where you may be on a pitch with a traverse in. Typically you might clip one rope before the traverse, then the other rope climbing up from the traverse. In which case a retreat using the prussik from high up would make it a bit safer. Sounds like a useful trick to have in the bag for that rare occasion when you need it.
 The Ivanator 22 Apr 2011
In reply to major stabby:
>
> Did u look at the petzel cat?

I have met Petzl the cat and he is a legend. Last known abode Tent and Trail in New York City.
 crieff427 25 Apr 2011
In reply to jonny2vests:

I believe, though I may be wrong - as it's a long time since I read that report and I couldn't be assed re-reading it - that the shunt opening up was when it hit a knot with a 2 person load, to simulate the use of the shunt as a backup in rope access; this would be unlikely to happen on a dynamic rope with a single person load, it might run a bit before stopping. The use of the phrase dynamic loading I find is a bit misleading when referring to shock loading on a semi static.
Just my humble opinion.
Straying a bit from the OP here, sorry folks.
 Rick Graham 26 Apr 2011
>
> A neat idea but worth bearing in mind that sport routes with good bolts and poor belays are not that common.

Sorry Chris but I beg to differ.
Most routes in ,say,the Costa Blanca end a single point for the lower. Often this is not even a climbing krab but a cheap nautical substitute.
Even two bolts and chain to a krab/ring does not offer any redundancy.
Also a bolt runner failure is not usually fatal. A lower off failure will.

I have my doubts about using a prussik, it not being tested for a fall of more than 4 metres and of unspecified fall factor.

A technique I have used for over thirty years, mainly to give extra confidence on Alpine abseils, is to clip the ab rope into runners on the way down. First climber down then keeps attached to the rope. If the anchor fails the second abseiler is still attached to the system.
Abseiling using a magic plate/reverso can enhance this technique as it can be set up to lock in the event of a failure. If you need to ask any questions don't try this out yourself.

This technique can also be used on a lower off scenario.
Get to a poor lower, lower yourself with a magic plate (the older flat ones are best as they give a better level of friction) the belayer keeping the rope on.

I have not found any info on reverso /rope strength at the leaders end of a fall but several autolock belay devices use a similar principal so I am personally very confident in the technique, especially compared to the alternative (death!).

Rick

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 27 Apr 2011
In reply to Rick Graham:
>
>
> Sorry Chris but I beg to differ.
> Most routes in ,say,the Costa Blanca end a single point for the lower. Often this is not even a climbing krab but a cheap nautical substitute.

I have just got back from the Blanca, did 80 routes and don't recall any single bolt lower-offs.

> Even two bolts and chain to a krab/ring does not offer any redundancy.

How can two bolts and two lengths of chain into a single crap not offer redundancy?

Chris
 jon 27 Apr 2011

A single crap, Chris?
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 27 Apr 2011
In reply to jon:
>
>
> A single crap, Chris?

Bloody bugger bollocks bums bust!

Chris
 Rick Graham 27 Apr 2011

> How can two bolts and two lengths of chain into a single crab not offer redundancy?

Hi Chris
The clues are in the words used and the order they are arranged.
Please read my post again.

Rick

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...