Running club near Guildford

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Zygoticgema 06 Apr 2011
I want to start running again but rather than go by myself and eventually quit like I always do, I thought I'd join a club. I've searched on google but can't find one suitable. I need one local to Guildford but with training runs on either Tuesday Thursday and the weekend. Can anyone make a recommendation?
 Liam M 06 Apr 2011
In reply to Zygoticgema: There is a postcode search on this page http://www.fetcheveryone.com/clubs.php?club_postcode=gu1 for clubs. I'm not sure how definitive a list it is though, but most clubs will have websites detailing when they train.
 Liam M 06 Apr 2011
In reply to Liam M: Actually not that definitive I'm thinking, as this club doesn't appear on there http://www.ggac.co.uk/ . A look at the site suggests they do meet on Tuesday and Thursday, though may be a little track and field focussed. Worth going along and talking to them though if it appeals.

There is also a very strong club not far away in Aldershot, Farnham and District AC, though I don't know whether that would be easy for you to get to or not.
OP Zygoticgema 06 Apr 2011
In reply to Liam M: Thanks!
I think the Farnham one looks as if it's for very serious runners though but training nights would be perfect
 nniff 07 Apr 2011
In reply to Zygoticgema:

You could try Parkrun.com which is a free, timed, 5k run every Saturday at 9 am. http://parkrun.com/home.aspx

There isn't one in Guildford, but the nearest to you are Frimley and Banstead Woods (my local one), either of them about 30 minutes by car.

Register once on line, print your barcode and turn up. There's a mass start, then as you go through the finishing funnel you are given a token with your place and a barcode. You take that over to the marshalls, they swipe your own bar code, the token barcode, and the system then logs your time. Results are on the internet a few hours later, with photos too at Banstead at least.

About 160-200 runners turn up every Saturday at Banstead, whatever the weather. Next saturday is the 200th run there.

All of your times are stored on the site www.parkrun.com They show your time for every run you have done, your PBs and an 'effort %' which is your time as a % of the world record time for your age group, which allows you to compare your time with those from other age groups.

It's great for training because it's regular and the same people turn up, so you very quickly end up with recognisable people to chase/hang onto/try to pass/avoid being passed by.

Addictive and highly recommended. All shapes and sizes - from about 8 to 80, whippets to steamrollers. All run by volunteers.

Run number 8 for me on Saturday at Banstead.
 The New NickB 07 Apr 2011
In reply to nniff:

The other thing about parkrun is that you will get to know other runners, especially the ones finishing near your time or target time, get to know which clubs they belong to etc. The race director may have local links or suggestions as well. Great events, I usually do one if I have not got another event on that day. Stops me drinking on a Friday might as well.
 fred99 07 Apr 2011
In reply to Zygoticgema:
I suggest you try Guildford & Godalming, after all, it is the local one.
As for elitism, whilst I'm not local to the area, I'd be extremely surprised if there was any.

ALL clubs cater for all abilities and most cover the various aspects under the umbrella of Athletics - Road Running, Multi-terrain (inc Fell), Cross-Country, and even Track & Field. In practice the majority of an "athletic club's" membership are in fact ROAD RUNNERS, and by definition only a minority of these could ever be called elite.

This idea that athletic clubs are only for the elite is a strange one, and anyone promoting such is telling porkies.

Just go on down and try them - you've got nothing to lose.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...