Steak and Ale Pie

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jim Walton 04 Feb 2011
Is it beeter to marinate the braising steak in beer/Ale overnight?

Which Ale do people recommend?
 Al Evans 04 Feb 2011
In reply to Jim Walton: Recipe here for steak and guiness pie
http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/512014
Levains_Alive 04 Feb 2011
In reply to Jim Walton: Newcastle Brown Ale works a treat.
 owlart 04 Feb 2011
In reply to Jim Walton: I'd recommend leaving the ale out altogether - spoils an otherwise perfectly good steak pie for me!
Removed User 04 Feb 2011
In reply to Jim Walton: Black Sheep
 Only a hill 04 Feb 2011
In reply to Jim Walton:
Something dark but not too dark. An Teallach is the best ale I've seen for it (and we get through a lot of SAP at the Clachaig--the ale comes out of our pumps depending on what we've got on for the day).
 Ricky Martin 04 Feb 2011
In reply to Jim Walton:
> Is it beeter to marinate the braising steak in beer/Ale overnight?

No. Long marinating in alcohol will actually make the meat tougher and Drier.
 nightmonkeyuk 04 Feb 2011
In reply to Jim Walton:
Leffe Brune, expensive, but worth it.
 Hat Dude 04 Feb 2011
In reply to Jim Walton:

Stout is best
Or something sweetish, Manns brown ale works well & is cheap.

I wouldn't use bitter.
 graeme jackson 04 Feb 2011
In reply to Jim Walton:
Forget the beer. Dice some Black pudding into it instead.
 Steve John B 04 Feb 2011
In reply to Jim Walton: I like how this is in the Culture Bunker
 thommi 04 Feb 2011
In reply to Jim Walton: old tom. good stuff.
 MJ 04 Feb 2011
In reply to Jim Walton:

Why not keep the ale in the glass where it belongs?

Speaking of which, maybe pubs use all the slops so as not to waste valuable beer - might even get a splash of lager thrown in for good measure!!!

Removed User 04 Feb 2011
In reply to MJ: I though slops went in the mild barrel?
OP Jim Walton 04 Feb 2011
In reply to Removed User: Right, I've gone with Black Sheep 'cos it tasted nice. If they sold Jennings Cumberland Ale in a bottle, I'd have gone for that (Cumbrian Bred).

I've not Marinated it over night but I've made the 'Filling' tonight and I'm going to let it stand over night.

I'll make the pastry tomorrow and serve it tomorrow night.

Gareth and Christina + good lady will tell me whats it's like.

Thank You for all your help.

ps I've gone for a recipe from One Mans Travels blog.
 MJ 04 Feb 2011
In reply to Removed User:

"I though slops went in the mild barrel?"

No, mild is reserved for the people who can't quite climb VS.

Richard Baynes 04 Feb 2011
In reply to Jim Walton: Whatever you do, can you assure us that the pie will be that: ie meat or other filling wholly contained in pastry; and not stew with crust on top, otherwise known as Pub Pie, or The Thing That Is Called Pie But Is Not?
 MJ 04 Feb 2011
In reply to Richard Baynes:

Yes, most pub "pies" now come in a dish wih a pastry topping. If you can't pick it up, it's not a pie!!!
 goldmember 05 Feb 2011
In reply to Jim Walton: really annoying when you have a good pie and some eejit wrecks it with puff pastry!
 sutty 05 Feb 2011
In reply to goldmember:

Had a great pie some years ago in a pub near Wigton that had a scone crust to die for. tried copying it but failed
 Ricky Martin 05 Feb 2011
In reply to sutty: Cobblers!

Ehem or more to the point if you tried it with "normal" scone mix try looking up a reciepe for a cobbler, They have a scone type topping, which may be what your after. there usually sweet but so you might have to play with the sugar if you cant find a savoury one. HTH
 sutty 05 Feb 2011
In reply to Ricky Martin:

Thanks, tried normal cobbler recipes and suet crust and shortcrust but can't replicate it. It was like very light thick shortcrust pastry.
 Richard Baynes 05 Feb 2011
In reply to MJ:
> If you can't pick it up, it's not a pie!!!

Fabulous definition. Make it law! Even a slice of my mother's giant steak and kidney family-sized jobs would pass this test when cold.

Bulls Crack 06 Feb 2011
In reply to MJ:
> (In reply to Jim Walton)
>
> Why not keep the ale in the glass where it belongs?
>
> Speaking of which, maybe pubs use all the slops so as not to waste valuable beer - might even get a splash of lager thrown in for good measure!!!

Why not swop the beef for chicken? Or the chicken for veg...or....
OP Jim Walton 06 Feb 2011
In reply to Jim Walton: Well, the Pie was a great success.

I don't think it would have be wise to attempt to pick it up, "beware - filling is hot". But it was a PROPER pie and not a 'pub pie'.

Carmalised some carrots, made some mustard mash and washed it down with a full bodied shiraz or two. We then moved onto Bruichladdich and managed to put the UK's commercial problems to bed. A long discussion about ENRON, something about the best method to store alternating current and finished off with a discussion about female newsreaders (wives had long gone by this stage).

An entire evening without discussing climbing once!
 antwan 06 Feb 2011
In reply to Jim Walton: At this very moment I have 36 Individual Steak and Ale Pies in my freezer!.

Short crust pastry all round and Black Sheep bitter

Not got a clue how to make them, but Black Sheep is the best I have tasted in a steak and ale pie.

The best Pie to date however has to be a chicken, ham and leek Pie cooked by the fantastic staff at the Derwent water youth Hostel. Full/part chicken breasts, wrapped with bacon in a diced ham leek and I'm guessing it was a cheese based sauce. With second place going to the Helwith bridge steak and ale pie from september 2010
 Brass Nipples 06 Feb 2011
In reply to Jim Walton:

Get yourself down to the Newfeld Inn, Seathwaite best steak and ale pie ever..
 Richard Baynes 07 Feb 2011
In reply to Jim Walton: Pleased for you, mate. It's always good to hear of a bit of pie achievement.
 Clarence 07 Feb 2011
In reply to Jim Walton:

I read this thread a couple of days ago and in the spirit of experimentation I made a chicken & lager pie using a can of carlsberg that someone left at christmas. It was surprisingly good although I did use readymade pastry (I have very warm hands, my bread is good but my pastry is not).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...