Hills and bikes again...Mount Keen

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jamie B 12 Oct 2010
Which is the better approach for the above if you are using a bike, north or South? Travel-wise it is 50/50 which one I go for, but I'm also intersted in the quality of the scenery and the cycle-friendliness of the track.
JinjaCoo 12 Oct 2010
In reply to Jamie Bankhead:

I did this from the North last year and it was quite a gentle rise on the way in - I was quite surprised at the freewheel out on the way back. I'd imagine this time of year the forest en-route will be nice to travel through.

Got the bikes to the final steep ascent which was far enough anyway.

Can't comment on the southern approach but I have a feeling the northern one was recommended to me over it but not sure why.

Graeme.
 minstrel 12 Oct 2010
In reply to Jamie Bankhead: I have done the southern approach.Good track though the ladder burn section may involve pushing bike.
 Banned User 77 12 Oct 2010
In reply to Jamie Bankhead: Glen Tanar is lovely. Only done it that way, ran in and out, but its a great track. Nice old pine forest scenery.
Slugain Howff 12 Oct 2010

The track is so good you could drive a small family car to the base of the final rise from the Glen Tanar side.
 Scomuir 12 Oct 2010

If you want a good mountain bike day out, cycle in from Glen Tanar, cycle/push/carry to the top of Mount Keen from the head of the glen - it's steep, but short. Then cycle down into Glen Mark down the path on the other side of the hill - it's a fantastic descent. Then, cycle down the glen for a few miles and head up and over the Fungle Road (a path, but great on a mountain bike), which takes you back to the start. It's a fantastic day out on the bike.

If you are doing Mount Keen from the south though, it's not a big day just walking it. Done it easily in 4 hrs return without trying too hard. However, you are more likely to be able to cycle most of the way to the top from the Glen Mark side.
Tim Chappell 12 Oct 2010
In reply to Scomuir:

Roughly what Scomuir said... if you can´t decide between two ascent routes, use them both, only one as a descent, and circuit back to your starting point. One way to do this would be to cycle over Cairn o´Mount, something I´ve been meaning to do again for ages (I´ve only done it the easy way, N to S).
 johns64 12 Oct 2010

I have done both sides, walked the Loch Lee end in and ran the Glentanar side. Both are pretty good tracks. I would say the Glentanar has the better roads, however the last 5k is pretty steep with erosion. It will be hard work to bike it up there (unless you have thighs like steel!)

The hill climb from loch lee side is a narrower path so may be offroading terrain but its pretty basic mtnbiking. I also found the Glentanar side pretty quiet with stunning woodland scenery.

Just watch for the snakes!
wcdave 12 Oct 2010
In reply to johns64:
>
>
> Just watch for the snakes!

I saw 3 of them, at different points, basking on the track, when I cycled up Glen Tanar a few years back now.

It's a lovely ride up Glen Tanar Jamie, and a great freewheel out.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...