ME Fitzroy v Patagonia Hooded Micropuff

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 droites 03 May 2010
I am thinking of getting one of these . Any thoughts on either? I have heard bad things about the Patagonia hood. I know the Patagonia would be lighter and warmer,but which would pack down smaller and how warm is the Micropuff?
Thanks
In reply to speedysi: I've got a fitzroy, and it is really good, I hav no complaints about it, warm versatile, weather resistant, pretty light, packs down nicely...a really nice bit of kit...I wear mine everyday over winter
In reply to speedysi: I've got the Fitzroy, and got some good use out of it in Scotland over the Winter. Excellent jacket
OP droites 03 May 2010
In reply to Nick Smith - UKC: Can anybody tell me is the 'citronelle' colour hideous in the flesh? I have been given the chance to buy one but only in this colour and I have not been able to see it other than on he web.
Longjourneynorth 03 May 2010
In reply to speedysi: I have one is that colour and think it's ok.Great jacket as well.
 George Fisher 03 May 2010
In reply to speedysi

I've got ME Fitz in Citronelle

I like the colour, better than another red outdoor jacket and more visible than black. I've worn mine to the pub, on very windy Snowdon routes, belaying ice and full winter mountainin conditions in North America, kept me dry and warm. Great hood. Great wide cuffs you can pull over massive mitts.

Reccomended
nb290 03 May 2010
In reply to speedysi: what's bad about the Micro Puff?
In reply to speedysi:
> (In reply to Nick Smith - UKC) Can anybody tell me is the 'citronelle' colour hideous in the flesh?

FWIW, i think its a great colour but that all depends if you like green or not.
OP droites 03 May 2010
In reply to nb290: Thats exactly what I am trying to find out nb! I have heard that the hood is not great and the fit is a bit 'weird'
nb290 03 May 2010
In reply to speedysi: the hood won't take a helmet and in my case sits uncomfortable below the eyebrows. re the fit, it's quite american, i.e. there's room for a belly.
OP droites 03 May 2010
In reply to nb290: Bugger!!
 ChrisHolloway1 03 May 2010
In reply to speedysi: +1 on the Fitzroy, love it, excellent piece of kit
 escalator 03 May 2010
In reply to speedysi:
> (In reply to Nick Smith - UKC) tell me is the 'citronelle' colour hideous in the flesh?

It is hideous, it looks like baby poo.

I have a friend that has one, but he is colour blind and thinks it is a blue one. I like the jacket and plan to buy a blue one when they come back into the shops, I'm going to tell him that it is green, he will believe me as won't know any different.
OP droites 03 May 2010
In reply to escalator: Dude-thats cruel!! Baby poo, really? That sick
king_of_gibraltar 03 May 2010
In reply to escalator:
> (In reply to speedysi)

> I have a friend that has one...

You mean you HAD a friend that has one.

OP droites 03 May 2010
In reply to king_of_gibraltar: Guys I had made up my mind to get a Fitzroy at the reduced price but in citronelle, but now I am not so sure!! The possible effect that it may have on others has put me off! Oh, what to do?!?!
 Jamie Hageman 03 May 2010
In reply to speedysi: I think it's a great colour. Don't listen to the others, go for it
OP droites 03 May 2010
In reply to Jamie Hageman: Thanks Jamie. Back on track. Great website by the way.
 neil the weak 03 May 2010
In reply to speedysi: I've had and absolutely thrashed a Fitzroy for three (? .. might be 2...) years now.

Fit is great on me, not so bulky as to stop you climbing in it when you want to but warm enough to act as a proper belay jacket. Hood is good, swallows a helmet and works OK without. Light (realtive to warmth) and simple with long sleeves, almost a perfect design for me really.

The main zip on mine is getting pretty sticky these days and the laminated tabs that do up the wrist cuffs have both delaminated / broken off recently (the one thing I'd change in the design) but I must have given it hundreds of days use so it seems a bit rude to grumble about wear and tear at this point. Overall, would happily recommend it to anyone.
 Neil Pratt 03 May 2010
In reply to speedysi:

If you're anywhere near Glasgow Tisos Outdoor Experience have a couple of blue Fitzroys in their sale - not sure of sizes.
In reply to speedysi: I have it in the green and love the colour, loads of people have commented on how cool the colour is too....
OP droites 04 May 2010
In reply to dunkymonkey17 :Thanks for all the fashion advice (UKC really is hip and cool). Went for the citronelle-wife thinks it looks minging!! Ah well

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...