"Finisterre" - Saint Etienne

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Blue Straggler 23 Aug 2009
Just dug this album out in the last few days, mainly because I saw them live last Saturday, and also because I wanted to hear the title track to see how clearly Sarah says "I believe in Electrelane"

I'd never paid much attention to the album apart from "Soft Like Me" and "The More You Know" (with Isabel Waidner's killer bassline)

The whole thing now sounds just beautiful. Nice rediscovery.

Is "Tales From Turnpike House" up to scratch?
 Stig 24 Aug 2009
In reply to Blue Straggler: Was that at Summer Sundae? (I'm losing track of time)
In reply to Stig:
Yes - so the weekend before last, I suppose (but I wrote the OP on a Sunday night, so it made sense then )
 Stig 24 Aug 2009
In reply to Blue Straggler: I've never seen them before and thought they were a bit subdued. Keep meaning to check out the albums again. Thanks for the recommendations.

One of the best festivals I've been to too, friendly, good vibe. Charlatans were on top form I thought - I'm not a fan but my wife is - and we saw them last December and they were disappointing.

Have you tried spotify for the other album?
johnSD 24 Aug 2009
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Not listened to it for years, and the vocal interludes always turned me off a bit (I think I've a minidisc somewhere with them edited out).

If I remember rightly the the album from Shower Scene onwards is really strong, but I didn't like some of the earlier tracks.
In reply to johnSD:

There's only about two (if you mean the samples "Have you ever eaten in a Harvester" and the anti-bank one)
In reply to Stig:
Oh I got bored with the Charlatans, the sound was poor and I realised that I don't know THAT many of their songs, as anthemic and legendary as the band are. Neither of these two things are the fault of The Charlatans, of course!

It's a good festival isn't it. Who else did you see? Hopefully Imelda May who was awesome.
 Stig 24 Aug 2009
In reply to Blue Straggler: Not a right lot as my wife is 8 months pregnant and we didn't move around too much. Sitting in the sunshine was blissful!
In reply to Blue Straggler:
> (In reply to johnSD)
>
> There's only about two (if you mean the samples "Have you ever eaten in a Harvester" and the anti-bank one)

Sorry there's loads more, they just never bothered me, indeed I kind of liked them, reminded me of the nice samples throughout "So Tough"

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...