Clothing designer needs help!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
jo-jo1979 24 Jun 2009
Hi there,

I am a clothing designer and I am currently working on a small project for a well known outdoor clothing retailer.

I was wondering if anyone would be able help me...is there anything that you feel you would benefit from in an item of performance clothing (outerwear/trousers etc) while out and about? Is there anything that the market doesn't already offer that you would benefit from? Think funtion and performance...even down to fabric.

If anyone has any ideas, no matter how simple or silly you might think they sound, please contact me.

Many thanks for your time,

Jo
 Mike Highbury 24 Jun 2009
In reply to jo-jo1979:
> Hi there,
>
> I am a clothing designer and I am currently working on a small project for a well known outdoor clothing retailer.
>
> I was wondering if anyone would be able help me...is there anything that you feel you would benefit from in an item of performance clothing (outerwear/trousers etc) while out and about? Is there anything that the market doesn't already offer that you would benefit from? Think funtion and performance...even down to fabric.
>
> If anyone has any ideas, no matter how simple or silly you might think they sound, please contact me.

Three quarter length trousers are for toddlers
In reply to jo-jo1979: I have always wanted a hat that was also a rucksack.
 Dan_S 24 Jun 2009
In reply to highaltitudebarista:

Close.....
http://ruckjack.com/
 tlm 24 Jun 2009
In reply to jo-jo1979:

Clothes where you can put your measurements in on a web page, pick the fabric and the colour and have something made by computers that was actually the right size!

That would solve all the tall skinny people, short skinny people, skinny with big boobs people, wide in strange places people, tiny little people, people with very short arms etcs problems all in one fell swoop!!!!
jo-jo1979 24 Jun 2009
In reply to Dan_S: This is great, thanks! Keep 'em coming!
 Dan_S 24 Jun 2009
In reply to jo-jo1979:

I'd like a jacket that weighs nothing, keeps me completely dry, is entirely breathable, and makes me look 5 stone lighter than I am.

Failing that, how about putting little bits of a magnetic material on zip pulls, and making inserts for gloves to make them more gripable? I can never find the little bits of cord, and you can't feel them with gloves on.
 Andy Hardy 24 Jun 2009
In reply to jo-jo1979:

A plea from my Mrs. She wants to be able to tell from the label, the actual dimensions of the product. She can calculate in metric or imperial units and owns a tape measure.

Apparently some women enjoy taking 10+ pairs of trousers to the changing room, but it annoys her. Especially when none of them fit.
jo-jo1979 24 Jun 2009
In reply to Dan_S: Fantastic! This is exactly the type of thing I am after! It's all the little details that count
jo-jo1979 24 Jun 2009
In reply to 999thAndy: Unfortunately this area is not my expertese...you need to speak to a garment tech! I am merely a designer hehe! But this is something I will remember and hopefully be able to pass on
In reply to jo-jo1979:

I would like rocket pants. I've always wanted some but nowhere sells them
 Andy Hardy 24 Jun 2009
In reply to jo-jo1979:

I am intrigued here. How do you design something that will be made, and not know how big it's supposed to be? I can't imagine that's how they do it at Audi.
jo-jo1979 24 Jun 2009
In reply to 999thAndy: Without going into a very lengthy discussion....the techs work on the measurements/fit of the garments (a very lengthy process of sampling/fitting/sampling/fitting - most companies have what is called a fit model - they're the 'average' customer shape/size who models the garments for fit samples) Every shop is different...sizes unfortunately vary! It annoys me too!
 Ireddek 24 Jun 2009
In reply to jo-jo1979:

Something like Alpkit's Jeans, but for women...actually a female equivalents not in pastel colours/pink to all male gear would be really nice!

Sloping jacket pockets that fit water bottles for light/dog walking without a rucksack.

A place to write name & contact/ICE number - could be useful for mountain rescue...I carry cards in all my jacket pockets.

Incorporate whistle &/or mini LED light into something like zipper pull.

I like zips/buttons on pockets for trousers & jackets - it keeps things safe.

Thumb hooks are handy on anything with sleeves.

Wind shirt/jacket with own specific zip in fleece. Actually trousers like this would be really handy as well! (for women!)

& lots more affordable marino products.

jo-jo1979 24 Jun 2009
In reply to Ireddek: Great, thanks for the ideas! There's some really useful stuff here!
 Andy Hardy 24 Jun 2009
In reply to jo-jo1979:
> ( Every shop is different...

Not in my wife's experience. All the high street stores stock the same or very similar stuff.
 Andy Hardy 24 Jun 2009
In reply to 999thAndy:

Actually I still don't see how sizes for women *can't* be given in real units.Sizes for men are.
jo-jo1979 24 Jun 2009
In reply to 999thAndy: Do you mean S,M,L?? Sorry can't help you there!
 sutty 24 Jun 2009
In reply to jo-jo1979:
Start another thread saying;

Ladies, what colour outdoor clothing would you like to buy.

-----------------------------

Your models for garments, get real walkers and climbers sizes off them. Lots of fit ladies cannot get the right leg length with their waist size.

Mens clothing. Fit climbers are not straight up and down, they may have large shoulders compared to the waist.
 Andy Hardy 24 Jun 2009
In reply to jo-jo1979:

no I mean 28", 30", 32",.....

or 50cm, 55cm, 60cm ...

as in one of the units of measure found on a normal tape measure.
 Spike 24 Jun 2009
In reply to jo-jo1979:

the elastic draw ties/cords that you have around the hoods of jackets are not a great design - yes they allow you to tighten up the hood which is needed in bad weather and strong winds, but they're often hard to find and also once pulled to tighten the hood they then have a tendancy to fly around whipping you in the face. Because you're usually wearing gloves in bad weather its hard to tidy them away - a simple solution to that would be nice.
 fimm 24 Jun 2009
In reply to sutty:
> (In reply to jo-jo1979)
> Start another thread saying;
>
> Ladies, what colour outdoor clothing would you like to buy.
>
> -----------------------------
>
> Your models for garments, get real walkers and climbers sizes off them. Lots of fit ladies cannot get the right leg length with their waist size.

This applies to some fit men of my aquaintance too!

nniff 24 Jun 2009
In reply to jo-jo1979:

I would like some trousers made out of the stuff that Ra, Craghoppers and Rohan made their breeches out of in the early 80's. Mostly windproof, warm, quick drying and tough as old boots. This modern softshell is a pale imitation.

A fleece jacket that actually looks like clothing that a normal person might wear - two tone red and grey is not a good look. A fleece that doesn't assume that you're built like a tellytubby, with a matching penchant for primary colours.

A decent, long powerstretch top, with a long half zip and a collar with an offset zip that actually fits snugly around the neck. What's the point of a stretch garment with a neck that gapes like a funnel? And not flipping two-tone either.

A beanie hat made out of some thin baselayer material, with some windproof-ish patches over the ears.

You could have a go at improving on the Montane featherlite top, but you'll have your work cut out.

Ireddek 24 Jun 2009
In reply to jo-jo1979:

just thought of some more...I am & I've met some more people that are allergic to down...we need warm belay jackets too that doesn't cost the earth!

As mentioned above colour's an issue for us girls - http://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/t.php?t=356018

If you have to put zips at the bottom of trousers leave an inch or so spare at the bottom with say velcro or similar so that short people like me can take the seams in easily! I'd love some soft shell ones like this!or go down the more pricey route of selling it in short, normal & long.

Keep us posted on results...I might just buy some off you!

Blue Roses 24 Jun 2009
In reply to nniff:
>
>
> You could have a go at improving on the Montane featherlite top, but you'll have your work cut out.

I want a women's one without arms, ie a gillet!
or with removable arms

plus in good colours for being seen in traffic but red and orange, not just larry yellow or fluro pink.

plus wicking knickers that don't cost £10 each.

(yes knickers!)

sutty 24 Jun 2009
In reply to Blue Roses:

I thought you wore wicking thongs;-P
 marsbar 24 Jun 2009
In reply to jo-jo1979: Women's fit that fits women with boobs and hips and a waist would be good. Who are these average women that they make the sizes from? And I'm totally in the anti pink campaign.
 TN 24 Jun 2009
In reply to marsbar:
> (In reply to jo-jo1979) Women's fit that fits women with boobs and hips and a waist would be good. Who are these average women that they make the sizes from? And I'm totally in the anti pink campaign.

What marsbar said.

And also, womens stuff with long sleeves and legs. I am a big lass but tall too - most brands just make the bigger sizes wider, not 'scaled up' for taller people.
I know you can't please all of the people all of the time, but it would be good to find ladies outdoor gear that's long enough for me - I usually have to resort to blokes stuff that then flaps around the waist... That's all.
Jacob-Oconnor 24 Jun 2009
In reply to jo-jo1979: A gor-tex pro shell beanie filled with primaloft or down would be awesome
 ebygomm 24 Jun 2009
In reply to marsbar:
> Women's fit that fits women with boobs and hips and a waist would be good. Who are these average women that they make the sizes from?

Women A has 26 inch waist and 36 inch hips

Women B has 30 inch waist and 32 inch hips

Average that out and they'd make something for a 28 inch waist and 34 inch hips which would fit neither A or B. Hugely simplified of course but seems that's the way some stuff is designed, trying to cater for average they cater for no one.

jo-jo1979 24 Jun 2009
In reply to TN: You hear of outsize and tall and petite sizing for your average highstreet fashion retailers...but is there anything like this in the outdoor clothing market??? Anyone know?
 wi11 24 Jun 2009
In reply to jo-jo1979: How about a softshell jacket with a roll up hood...tried to find one but couldn't
 Andy Hardy 24 Jun 2009
In reply to ebygomm:
> (In reply to marsbar)
> [...]
>
> Women A has 26 inch waist and 36 inch hips
>
> Women B has 30 inch waist and 32 inch hips
>

You forgot that A's hips are 8'' below her waist, which is 37" off the floor whereas B's are...

See it would be much easier if they just put that stuff on the label.
 TN 24 Jun 2009
In reply to jo-jo1979:

I have not noticed it in ladies clothing - you tend to have to buy certain brands to get the extra height accounted for.
So unless LTS start making 'performance clothing' it's straight to the blokes section and wear a belt...
riggwelter 24 Jun 2009
fleece waist coat, with a high collar and comes down low, over the lower back/bum, plus extra pockets. I had one made by Helly Hansen (years ago)and hav'nt found a replacement.
 fimm 24 Jun 2009
In reply to jo-jo1979:

If you are making trousers that are intended to be removed while still wearing shoes (waterproof trousers, or the sort that zip off above the knee to become shorts), please make sure that they can be removed while wearing walking boots. I spend ages trying to get in and out of my current pair of waterproof trousers, and I only have size 6 boots. A friend of mine (who is, admittedly, 6'2" and about 90% leg) would love to have a pair of the zip-off trousers but has never found some that come in "extremely lanky" (his words), ie thin enough waist and long enough leg, and also come off over size 11 boots.
Yrmenlaf 24 Jun 2009
In reply to jo-jo1979:

Trousers with towelling on the inside of the calf (below the knee) for wiping rock boots on.

Y.
 frodostickel 24 Jun 2009
In reply to jo-jo1979:
you've got mail
 Ann S 24 Jun 2009
In reply to jo-jo1979:

Just want jackets which have velcro'd sleeves to have sensible amounts and lengths of velcro which should go all round the sleeve. I have very slight wrists and often find that I can't cinch the sleeves properly because the velcro runs out. Total let down of what may otherwise be very good jackets.
 Aigen 25 Jun 2009
In reply to jo-jo1979: A pair of trousers that has a harness built in. A tall order I know but would sell very well.
 Mattu 25 Jun 2009
In reply to jo-jo1979: Can you make the pants from wallace and gromit? It would make me an amazing climber!
 KiwiPrincess 25 Jun 2009
In reply to sutty:

Red, pastels, Pinks etc show dirt bad, and get stained. I end up wearing grey and black but some femine detail in hood lining, Binding, Logo's etc would be cool. (I had a mountain designs Synthetic jacket once that had swirly stitching!, think I saw Marmot with floral stitching))

Strong colours for me not pastels.

Also the Draw cord at the back of neck gets stuck in your hair when it is in a pony tail..Bad! One each side on ladies collars.

Warm cuddly pockets are a must!

Some where for lip balm is good in the mountains, Chest pocket OK

Fleece pants with a gap in crutch/ low fly to get She wee in, Thermal undies too. Over trousers have it but Need it all the way in!

I live in NZ so some of this may be stocking problems but...

I hate that fully technical stuff with double ended zips for belaying and good hoods that stay on (see Northface optimus redpoint jacket) are not available in ladies.
I am a big fan of synthetic jackets since they can be washed easily, but Down has a much larger range, Can't find a synthetic vest that is Plain for everyday use, just ski types.

timO 25 Jun 2009
In reply to jo-jo1979: ...I am a great fan of non-waterproof waterproofs - eg paramo, rab pertex-pile combinatons, mountain-equipment pile pertex ... but these all have one problem in common: the shells are (necessarily?) very thin and vulnerable to ripping and wear. The great thing about them all is breathability - way in excess of goretex etc. Rab stopped doing their incredible tech smock (too hot for many I understand, but snuggly for me at minus20) which is a pain. Montane's system6 jacket actually had a tough outer (albeit rigid and crinkly) and that's discontinued too. The non-waterproof waterproof system is basically brilliant (eg paramo analogy) but weight and toughness just doesn't match up to the top goretex stuff, indeed, good paclite. Get this sorted and you are onto something....
 leeford 25 Jun 2009
In reply to 999thAndy:
>
> I am intrigued here. How do you design something that will be made, and not know how big it's supposed to be? I can't imagine that's how they do it at Audi.

Never heard of concept cars...the designers make nice fancy drawings and models, then get the engineers to actually make the thing.
 ck85 25 Jun 2009
In reply to jo-jo1979: Tops should be quite long in the body length so when you're wearing a harness it doen't keep riding up and then you pulling it down.

Any zips that are close to your chin should be covered with some soft fabric to make it more comfortable
cringeworthy 25 Jun 2009
In reply to jo-jo1979:

Many waterproof jackets designed for mountain use sometimes allow for the use of a helmet so the hood is large enough but often they don't allow for the use of a neck-warmer so are too tight around the neck when zipped up.
 nikinko 25 Jun 2009
In reply to jo-jo1979:

similar vein to others, but womens clothing with sleeves that come in different lengths like trousers do.

womens clothing which allows for broad shoulders and strong arms, I sometimes find womens stuff tight across shoulders and biceps.
 Zygoticgema 25 Jun 2009
In reply to jo-jo1979: I'm sure people have said all this before but..
- tops that are longer at the back (like cycling tops)
- thumb loops on all long sleeves.
- non pastel colours
- strong bits on zips so you can actually open and close them when you have gloves on.
 Andy Hardy 25 Jun 2009
In reply to leeford:

I was obviously getting confused. I thought "designer" implied a higher level of technical skill than "I can do fancy drawings".
 tony 25 Jun 2009
In reply to jo-jo1979:

Years ago, I had a Mountain Equipment fleece pullover top which was my favourite bit of kit for a long time. The thing that made it such a winner was the large pocket smack bang in the middle of the front, just below the neck zip. The pocket was easily accessible in all weathers, and was big enough for an OS map and assorted other bits and pieces. I haven't been able to find a suitable replacement - anything else that has a similar placed pocket has the pocket too small to be of real use.

The only other person I ever saw wearing one was a mountain guide on Skye called Jerry, so maybe it wasn't a great commercial success, but I liked it. Something similar in a merino fabric would be wonderful.
LordFlashheart 25 Jun 2009
In reply to jo-jo1979: NO VELCRO!

I am so sick and tired of velcro. What the hell is wrong with buttons, pop-studs or straps? It just strikes me as laziness on the part of the designer/manufacturer.
In reply to Dan_S:
> Failing that, how about putting little bits of a magnetic material on zip pulls...

How about using magnets (instead of velcro or studs) on a jacket to hold the storm flap over the zip shut.
In reply to jo-jo1979: Oh, and coil zippers in important locations (e.g. the main zipper for a fleece or jacket) should be banned. Nothing says "I'm cheap!" like a coil zipper.
In reply to jo-jo1979: And, while we're talking about it, all jacket/fleece zippers should be two-way separating (like on the Rab VR jacket).
 leeford 25 Jun 2009
In reply to 999thAndy:
> (In reply to leeford)
>
> I was obviously getting confused. I thought "designer" implied a higher level of technical skill than "I can do fancy drawings".

No a design engineer will have a higher techinical skill. A designer will just come up with the concept.
jo-jo1979 25 Jun 2009
In reply to leeford: Thanks leeford! I came on here asking for some simple help so I could hopefully get a job after being made redundant and all I get is abuse!!!! I wish I'd never bothered! Some answers, however, have been extremely useful
 Andy Hardy 25 Jun 2009
In reply to jo-jo1979:

I wasn't trying to be abusive, I genuinely thought that

a) it would be possible to print the size of women's clothes in inches or cm on the label, like they are for men's

and

b) a designer would know what size (in real units) the stuff was meant to be

This comment applies to cars as well as clothes. UKC is truly an education.
jo-jo1979 25 Jun 2009
In reply to 999thAndy: Ok ... I'm sorry for misjudging your comments, it's difficult for others to understand a job when they don't do it themselves I suppose For this project I really just need (as Leeford put it) concept ideas....to wow the design director! *So I can go away and draw some pretty fancy pictures for my portfolio I do understand your sizing frustration though, I don't know how that will ever be solved!!!
 Stig 25 Jun 2009
In reply to Zygoticgema:
> (In reply to jo-jo1979) I'm sure people have said all this before but..
> - tops that are longer at the back (like cycling tops)
> - thumb loops on all long sleeves.
> - non pastel colours
> - strong bits on zips so you can actually open and close them when you have gloves on.

Have you seen...

http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/products-WOM.htm
 Wingnut 26 Jun 2009
In reply to jo-jo1979:
>>Is there anything that the market doesn't already offer that you would benefit from

Womens kit made to the same technical spec as the mens. Every time I look at the "women specific" end of outdoor shops, I'm glad I'm tall enough to get away with a small mens!

(FFS, "womens specific" means female-shaped. It doesn't mean that you have to remove all the useful pockets, add a lipstick pocket, downgrade the fabric and produce it in a daft pastel colour that's impossible to keep clean. Grrrrr.)
 nikinko 26 Jun 2009
In reply to LordFlashheart:
> (In reply to Dan_S)
> [...]
>
> How about using magnets (instead of velcro or studs) on a jacket to hold the storm flap over the zip shut.

hmm, not sure I'd get anything with magnets on, have been put off hyrdration systems for the same thing. Simple fact that I rely on a magnet to point me in the right direction in bad weather, thus keeping me alive, so would rather not have other magnets pulling it different ways.
 leeford 26 Jun 2009
In reply to jo-jo1979:
> (In reply to 999thAndy) Ok ... I'm sorry for misjudging your comments, it's difficult for others to understand a job when they don't do it themselves I suppose For this project I really just need (as Leeford put it) concept ideas....to wow the design director! *So I can go away and draw some pretty fancy pictures for my portfolio I do understand your sizing frustration though, I don't know how that will ever be solved!!!

So where have I been abusive as you previous post states?

I was right you want to design a concept not a be bogged down with technical issues involved in the manufacture. I didn't mean that in a demeaning way at all. As a engineer myself (and draftsman) I am amazed/impressed at some of the ideas and designs designers come up with. I wish I had some of the artistic skills they have. (I am crap at drawing anything other then tech drawings)
 timmy-ts 26 Jun 2009
In reply to jo-jo1979: Had a good think. Kit I would like.

Overmits. Light weight shelled fleece/synthetic insulated lined mitts designed to fit over winter climbing gloves as a warmth layer, like a belay jacket but for hands. Simple design, no need to be over engineered, pertex style outer rather than goretex as they will get damp from the inside out anyway. (similar to buffalo mitts bit designed to go over winter weight gloves)

Winter weight soft shell jacket with helmet compatiable hood, decent length to cover lumbar. Perhaps looking at differing thermal properties for different areas, lightweight on back 100 weight, as we mainly wear rucksacks when climbing, thick on front and in hood for snuggle factor(300 wieght), perhaps a built in fleece neck gaitor, long arms for climbing in a mid weight ie 200 weight, a inner sleeve at the end of 100 weight fleece with thumb hole to bridge the gap between sleeve and glove. All in a highly wind proof scholler type none lined soft shell bonded to fleece/pile lining. In bright prime colours. Not black!

One peice goretex pro shell. Minimalistic, no fancy stuff, front zip down and around arse for calls of nature. Side zips ankle to hips for entry. Reinforced or heavier weight fabric for knee, bum and crampon patches. Two large side entry high mounted bellows pockets incorporating the only vents. Large helmet compatable hood, long sleeves with possible thumb holes. No pit zips of any other bollocks. It's a shell not a circus.

Midge jacket. A light weight, light coloured, light weight wind proof shell type jacket with a integrale helmet compatiable midge net,an integrale helmet compatiable hood, vent zips with midge netting. Good sized pocket for guide book. Fabric to be comfortable next to skin idealy, to be worn with or without a base layer perhaps.

Bright prime colours not black, I'm on a mountain rescue team and sick and tired of looking for people wearing grey, dark green, dark blue and black clothing this year allready.
Tim
LordFlashheart 26 Jun 2009
In reply to nikinko:
> hmm, not sure I'd get anything with magnets on, have been put off hyrdration systems for the same thing. Simple fact that I rely on a magnet to point me in the right direction in bad weather, thus keeping me alive, so would rather not have other magnets pulling it different ways.

Hydration systems are magnetic?
 Blue Roses 26 Jun 2009
In reply to 999thAndy:
>
> I wasn't trying to be abusive, I genuinely thought that
>
> a) it would be possible to print the size of women's clothes in inches or cm on the label, like they are for men's
>

Some women don't want to know their size in Cm or inches apparently, because for some women dress size is tied to self esteem. eg why Next sizes are all a size or two larger than anywhere else, it makes people (women) feel good apparently.
 sutty 26 Jun 2009
In reply to Blue Roses:

I hope a lot of outdoor clothing firms look at this thread and take some of the ideas on board.
 Jo Morrison 26 Jun 2009
I find that when I plait my hair it gets stuck in the hook side of velcro on the collar or hood of a jacket. This very annoying.
 Blue Roses 26 Jun 2009
In reply to sutty: Yes, and give the lady who thought of asking here a job!

Good luck to the OP.
 alex_th 26 Jun 2009
In reply to timmy-ts:
>
> Bright prime colours not black, I'm on a mountain rescue team and sick and tired of looking for people wearing grey, dark green, dark blue and black clothing this year allready.

Yes, please, more bright colours! It gets really frustrating photographing black- and dark-grey-clad climbers against a background of black and dark grey rock!
 TN 26 Jun 2009
In reply to Blue Roses:

I was going to make a point about vanity sizing and lack of consistency but I was on my mobile and it got frustrating. Anyway, I agree!
And don't get me started on manufacturers who think a size 12 is a Large!! If I was a size 12 I would look ill (and have done!)
 leeford 26 Jun 2009
In reply to TN:

> And don't get me started on manufacturers who think a size 12 is a Large!! If I was a size 12 I would look ill (and have done!)

Sorry for being an ignorant bloke...but what is that in inches?
 Morgan Woods 26 Jun 2009
In reply to timmy-ts:
> (In reply to jo-jo1979) Had a good think. Kit I would like.
>
> Overmits. Light weight shelled fleece/synthetic insulated lined mitts designed to fit over winter climbing gloves as a warmth layer, like a belay jacket but for hands. Simple design, no need to be over engineered, pertex style outer rather than goretex as they will get damp from the inside out anyway. (similar to buffalo mitts bit designed to go over winter weight gloves)
>
>>
> Bright prime colours not black, I'm on a mountain rescue team and sick and tired of looking for people wearing grey, dark green, dark blue and black clothing this year allready.
> Tim

i'm with you on the bright colours!

also Outdoor Research make some pretty decent belay mitts.
 Andy Hardy 26 Jun 2009
In reply to leeford:
> (In reply to TN)
>
> [...]
>
> Sorry for being an ignorant bloke...but what is that in inches?

Don't go there Lee.
 leeford 26 Jun 2009
In reply to 999thAndy:

See Andy this is why I don't go shopping with my wife....god help me when my two daughters reach their teenage years...I have already booked my dark room to sit and hide in.
PaulMarshall 26 Jun 2009
In reply to jo-jo1979:

Trousers that have a long inside leg that isn't coupled with a huge waist. Seems that height is somehow coupled to being a lardarse when it comes to guy's trousers.

Also lightweight trousers that have some stretch in them. I had a rather loud crotch tear when bouldering the other day in some combat trousers - it did provide a welcome breeze, though.
 Andy Hardy 26 Jun 2009
In reply to leeford:
> (In reply to 999thAndy)
>
> See Andy this is why I don't go shopping with my wife...

Well it was kind of the reason for my original request too. It annoys her when just buy stuff without trying them on for some reason....
 TN 26 Jun 2009
In reply to leeford:

That's the point - could be almost anything. Whatever the chosen measurements though, 12 is never elephant like...
In reply to tlm:

> Clothes where you can put your measurements in on a web page, pick the fabric and the colour and have something made by computers that was actually the right size!

http://www.beyondclothing.com/the-beyond-experience/

Not quite made by computers, but does all the rest.
sentinel2 27 Jun 2009
In reply to jo-jo1979: How's about keks for cragging in for blokes? For my money, there's not a lot of choice if you don't want damned pockets on the sides of your legs that make you look like Ray Mears. I just want to buy a pair of decent medium weight trousers for rock climbing in UK conditions that are sub £40 or so, and I can I buy a pair?? Troll Rock Bottoms were the thing back in the day, and where's their equivalent now?
El-Mariachi 27 Jun 2009
In reply to jo-jo1979:

'Water-proof' gloves.... that work
johnSD 27 Jun 2009
In reply to Blue Roses:
>
> plus wicking knickers that don't cost £10 each.
>
> (yes knickers!)
>

Do M&S do their "second skin" underwear for women as well as men? The boxers seem better than lifa ones, and are less than a tenner each
 xyrandus 27 Jun 2009
In reply to El-Mariachi:

Think about how many seams are in a glove, really think you can seal them all and retain any form of breathability?
If you really want dry hands get some sealed mitts. Or buy several pairs of gloves and put on a new warm dry pair when the first lot get wet.
 net 27 Jun 2009
In reply to jo-jo1979: Don't know if anyone else has said this, but please don't make (women's, at least) trousers in navy and khaki. Many brands do seem to be getting better at not doing this, but I don't really want to look like I'm wearing army surplus type stuff (or have flashbacks to Guide uniform)! Black, brown, or any other colour would be better...
 net 27 Jun 2009
In reply to jo-jo1979: Oh, and also, as I think someone has mentioned above, summer base layers that aren't the two tone loose weave ones (with different colour sleeves to body etc). Yuck. Women's short sleeve base layers that look like fairly regular t-shirts/skinny fit t-shirts are far preferable I reckon!
 KiwiPrincess 28 Jun 2009
In reply to LordFlashheart:
magnets ruin your credit card! had a handbag with them once..bad news.
Velcro stops working as soon as it is icy and cold My raincoat cuff never do up even though they look clean in snowy conditions. good brand too. Do up fine in the warm!
Also I saw my Windstopper/softshell thing today. Drawcord on the hip digs in if I try to wear a pack with it. Can only wear it as a crag shirt not in the hills which I bought it for.
 KiwiPrincess 28 Jun 2009
In reply to KiwiPrincess:
Also A base layer long sleeved without seams down side and under arm. I ran a marathon last year but live in a harsh enviroment and couldn't find anything that didn't rub after a couple of hours. had to use anti- chaffe stuff.
 Silverdene 29 Jun 2009
In reply to sutty: Totally with you on this one, Sutty. Drives me nearly insane when finding a shirt/jacket etc that fits, just to find that round the waist its been made for a lager-glugging tv-sport fanatic!
If its in jacket design, please at least include a drawstring for the waist as well as the lower hem.
 Evanrock 29 Jun 2009
In reply to jo-jo1979:

Incorporate flies in climbing trousers and shorts(velcro would suffice).
 lex 29 Jun 2009
In reply to jo-jo1979:

Hi Jo,

A simple concept - how about trouser pockets designed so things don't fall out of them when you sit down? EG the Troll Omni trousers are great... except for that fault!

Cheers,

Lex
 robin_hood 29 Jun 2009
In reply to jo-jo1979: shirts and top that are long enough to be tucked in or hang like a funnel
Anglesey Pete 29 Jun 2009
In reply to permanenttrauma:
>
> I would like rocket pants. I've always wanted some but nowhere sells them

I have some fartpants, I bought them from my friend Johnny!
 miz 29 Jun 2009
In reply to jo-jo1979:

Women specific climbing trousers that are stretchy, hard wearing (with reinforced knees), have a diamond gusset and a high waist with no belt loops etc to interfere with a harness(and come in three different lengths - short, medium and long (lots of out door trousers are in short and meduim but not long!)

Women specific outdoor clothes that are not pink (often the mens colours are better)
 ebygomm 29 Jun 2009
Poppers are not a good way of fastening trousers
In reply to ebygomm:
> Poppers are not a good way of fastening trousers

But they help to loosen other closures...
Suze6 29 Jun 2009
In reply to jo-jo1979:

These are things that i have been looking for for ages but that don't seem to exisit.

- a sports bra top that is made entirely from synthetic fabric (ie wicking)but that is really light weight - the reason being is that loads of vest tops offer 'hidden support' but these are never supportive enough on thir own but the usual style of sports bra plus hidden support i find often is so restructive that prevents me from properly expanding my rib cage in order to breath. Plus not all of us have so much up top that we require an industrial strengh level of 'support'.
I managed to get a great one form Primark of all places but they stopped selling them before i was able to get any more and replaced them with ones with cotton lining in them (Doh!)

- a sport vest top with adequate 'hidden support' so i don't need above light wight bra top

- winter weight running tights/bike tights - made of thicker material so my leggies don't get so cold!

- wicking knickers!!! Please!

In reply to Suze6:
> - wicking knickers!!! Please!

My wife could do with some of those!!

nniff 29 Jun 2009
In reply to Suze6:

- winter weight running tights/bike tights - made of thicker material so my leggies don't get so cold!
- you need Decathlon for those. Various different styles/fabrics/grades. The ones that say they are not suitable for cycling are (but don't have a padded seat though). They're also great for running and as thick thermals. I think I'm on a mid-price point pair at the moment. Hardwearing, stretchy and slighly fleecy on the inside
KoiLisa 30 Jun 2009
In reply to jo-jo1979: brightly coloured cragging clothes for women (like the E9/Evolv stuff) in breathable fabrics.
KoiLisa 30 Jun 2009
In reply to miz:
>
> Women specific climbing trousers that are stretchy, hard wearing (with reinforced knees), have a diamond gusset and a high waist with no belt loops etc to interfere with a harness(and come in three different lengths - short, medium and long (lots of out door trousers are in short and meduim but not long!)
> Please god
> Women specific outdoor clothes that are not pink (often the mens colours are better)
Please god

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...