MTN Hardwear Compressor pant

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
apa 19 Jan 2009
Is there anybody out there that have use those pants? I'm thinking of bying a pair to use when climbing in really cold conditions.

Thanks!
 Damo 19 Jan 2009
In reply to apa:

They're a slightly restyled, with new shell material, update on the Chugach pant, which were very popular and which I use a lot in Antarctica.

They're much thinner than down pants, so not nearly as warm, but much better to actually climb in, and much less bulky. The shells are a bit thin, so ice screws, axes etc can rip some holes pretty easy. They were originally intended as very warm mid-layers, but putting them under a shell doubles-up on windproof layers and might be too sweaty, unless it's really cold. So I, and most people I know, use them as overpants, where they replace both fleece pants and a windproof shell pant. They are certainly not waterproof. The Chugach seemed to be cut reasonably large, and fairly long, though the Compressors seem to be styled a bit more trimly.

D
apa 20 Jan 2009
In reply to Damo:

Thank you!

If you used them in Antarctica then they might be a bit over kill for my use, I was thinking of using them as an overpant in ca -20 Celsius.
 Damo 20 Jan 2009
In reply to apa:

No, they'd be fine for that. I don't usually climb in temps worse than -30C or so, and they're only just warm enough for that, worn over Powerstretch baselayer, merino baselayer and Patagonia Mixmaster pants (p'shield w. fleece lining). They're really not very thick, and they have full side zips to vent.

D
apa 20 Jan 2009
In reply to Damo:

Perfect!

Thank you for your answers!
 TobyA 20 Jan 2009
In reply to Damo:
> The Chugach seemed to be cut reasonably large, and fairly long, though the Compressors seem to be styled a bit more trimly.

This was quite some time ago, but I was going to buy some Chugach pants from my mate's shop - but the large was way too small for me, whilst with most US firms it would be more than enough. I thought this odd as at least many people were using them as "belay pants" to match with a synth jacket. So hopefully that was just one seasons weirdness, but might be good the OP to try before he buys.

Years later I still haven't been able to find some synth belay trousers that fit well over my normal climbing clothes at a price that seems reasonably. The TNF Redpoint ones are OK but too expensive for me and too rare round here to ever end up on sale.
 Damo 20 Jan 2009
In reply to TobyA:

Actually, yes, Toby, you are right. Compared to normal sizes, they are not big. The XL is only just big enough to fit over base+mid+shell and I'm not exactly bulky (35" waist).

Just worn over base-layer - ie. replacing fleect+shell - then they are relatively baggy, as far as climbing pants go.

But to use them for belay pants - ie. If you wear three layers and need to quickly put them on top, then they may be a bit tight.

What about the MEC Magma pants?
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442...

I had a pair a few years ago and they were very widely cut, much more than the Chugach. Marmot belay pants were also pretty big, but I don't think they make them anymore.

D
apa 20 Jan 2009
In reply to apa: How is the Patagonia Micro puff pant when compared with the compressor pant?
 Damo 20 Jan 2009
In reply to apa:

They were less athletically cut, not as well-fitted - ie. shorter and baggier. Do they still make them?

D
almost sane 20 Jan 2009
In reply to apa:

I've got a pair of last year's style, bought cheap. I plan to use them as bumming-about-the-camp trousers for camping in the cold. Or to wear inside my sleeping bag along with a belay jacket so I don't need to take such a toasty bag.
But my plans for really cold camping haven't really come off so far. So I haven't tested them in anger. But they are toasty and comfy.

In other words, I can't really help you, but I can still waffle on. Par for the course here on UKC!
apa 21 Jan 2009
In reply to apa:

Can you tell me about the sizes of the compressor pant, I live in Sweden and have to order the pants...

In jeans I normaly wear 30/34(waist/legs). I went a shop that sell's Mtn hardware and he suggested to get a size M, but I think it sounds small?

how is the lenght of the pants? (I don't want them to be to wide but not to short eighter)

Thank's!
apa 28 Jan 2009
In reply to apa:

I'm back, has anyone tried Mountain Equipment Cirrus Pants?

Thanks!
 droites 28 Jan 2009
In reply to apa: Another option would be the Zeta pants from PHD-lovely!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...