NEWS: Malham - Cove centre parking problem

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKB Shark 27 Apr 2008
I gather secondhand there was a bit of a fracas on Saturday as whoever shares the access couldnt get his trailer up and blocked the cars in for a time.

Probably best to avoid the agro and park elsewhere for time being.

Serpico 27 Apr 2008
In reply to Simon Lee:
I spoke to him afterwards, he says he's going to start locking the gate.
But for a bit of inconsiderate parking this could have all been avoided.
 John Cooke 28 Apr 2008
In reply to Simon Lee:

I think one of the other main issues the chap had was with people urinating in the Cove carpark and thus directly outside his house.

The guy has specifically asked for people not to park on the left handside against the wall as you drive into the carpark as this blocks access for his truck to his house, and also for people to use the public toilet down the road and not the back of the Cove Centre.

By not adhering to these requests future free parking is being put in jeopardy.
 Andy Farnell 28 Apr 2008
In reply to John Cooke: Alternatively park at the campsite for £2, get a shorter walk and access to toilets.

Andy F
 John Cooke 28 Apr 2008
In reply to andy farnell:

Yeah but it's still £2 :os
Serpico 28 Apr 2008
> (In reply to John Cooke) Alternatively park at the campsite for £2, get a shorter walk and access to toilets.
>
That carpark isn't open that often now. It was shut at the weekend again.

Serpico 28 Apr 2008
In reply to John Cooke:
> (In reply to Simon Lee)
in the Cove carpark and thus directly outside his house.
>
> The guy has specifically asked for people not to park on the left handside against the wall as you drive into the carpark as this blocks access for his truck to his house
>
Do you mean the right hand side? That's where the offending car was parked.

In reply to Serpico:

BMC website says don't park on the left as you drive in too. Seems odd, but I guess if everyone doesn't park there it'll leave a wide enough space for something pretty big.

Is it worth putting up a sign at the crag with this info - not everyone looks at UKC or the BMC access website. Maybe just before the bottom of the crag or on the bottom bolt of consenting, to avoid making the parking more public knowledge and hence a worse problem!
Serpico 28 Apr 2008
In reply to S i'm on & on:
I think that's come from this thread. I got the impression from the guy that it was the right side against the garden wall, particularly with 2 cars double parked just before the entrance to his house, and that he was going to start locking the gate anyway.
 Ram MkiV 28 Apr 2008

> Do you mean the right hand side? That's where the offending car was parked.

Just to clear this up, the left hand side as you drive in is ok? I usually park that side or at the back straight ahead. The only houses I can picture are on the right side as you go in?
Serpico 28 Apr 2008
In reply to Steve Ramsden:
Probably neither side as he was talking about locking the gate in future.
 John Cooke 28 Apr 2008
In reply to Simon Lee:

I was under the impression the issue was with parking on the left hand side however following Serpico's statement not parking on either side would certainly ensure the chap does not have any problems.
OP UKB Shark 28 Apr 2008
In reply to John Cooke:

Fact is the Cove Centre is private property. I think we were pretty lucky to be able to continue using it all when the centre closed. I suppose the Receivers or whoever owns it now doesnt care one way or the other about people using it for car parking. The guy that is upset has right of access but probably no direct legal right to prevent the continued car parking. Its got a bit messy - plenty of other places to park - in my view not worth the agro to continue using it. Another consideration is that continued good relations with village/parish council is kinda key to continued climbing access at the cliff.
 richardh 28 Apr 2008
In reply to Simon Lee:

It's not just climbers using the car park, some walkers have got wind of it too. The track is owned by the cove centre, I believe I was told by someone that knew, that technically the houses up the track have no legal rights to it.
 griffer boy 28 Apr 2008
Have spoken to the Owner of the House behind the cove centre tonight, he was at least happy that we are concerned over this issue; however after the conversation I feel its worth mentioning a number of things.
1. BMC guide book suggests that we park at the YDNP car park or at Town Head Farm.
2. You need to remember you are in a rural community and the owners at the back of the cove centre have a number of large agricultural vehicles.
3. Pissing in full view of someone’s house is not nice.
4. Malham Cove is owned by the National Trust and Malham Parish Council that, at the moment, are happy to allow us to climb there, let’s hope this continues.
5. The cove center is looking at developing the center in the very near future and will probably be locking the gate soon anyway (nothing to do with the owner of the house at the back of the Cove Center).
6. Many of the residents in the dale often ask what do climbers bring to the economy of the Dale? No longer do we go to the cove center for a coffee and bacon sandwich before climbing, not many people go to the Listers or Buck post climbing, (Both pubs have lost their owners recently and are now run by breweries), a lot of climbers don’t want to pay for the camping and prefer to camp wild or in cars/vans.
7. Walking an extra 5 mins is good for the training regime.
Hope this does not sound like a rant but I love climbing at the cove and I love the Dale.
OP UKB Shark 29 Apr 2008
In reply to griffer boy:

>Many of the residents in the dale often ask what do climbers bring to the economy of the Dale?

No questioning their Yorkshire credentials there then !!

I would have thought the 'free-to-view' circus was a part of the malham tourist appeal.
TimS 29 Apr 2008
In reply to Simon Lee: I'm not sure how much of a draw a line of people hanging off clips, trying a move and then sitting back on a clip really is
OP UKB Shark 29 Apr 2008
In reply to TimS:

Speak for yourself. I have recently endevoured to get sponsorship from the arts council for the breathtaking performance of my rock ballet - I call it vertical poetry - admittedly each performance requires many 'takes'
 john morrissey 29 Apr 2008
In reply to John Cooke: Hi Mr Cooke. To me, the bigger issue is people who cant be bothered to walk to the toilets. They are going to ruin access for those of us who actually do consider the people whoo live in these places. The locals get enough issues from walkers in thick red socks without having to put up with climbers using their yard as a loo!!!
 Andy Farnell 04 May 2008
In reply to Simon Lee: I've had a call from Gareth Scott, who as you may know lives in the Malham area and has put in a lot of very good work with the local council regarding Malham. He told me that the person who lives behind the Cove Centre has spoken to him TODAY about climbers still pissing in the car park, in full view of the house. Understandably the guy is spitting feathers about this.

CAN PEOPLE STOP USING THE CARPARK AS A TOILET.

Use the ones 50 yards down the road, or go have a brew in the cafe and use the loo there. FFS it's not difficult.

Andy F
Serpico 04 May 2008
Whoever it was turned up in a Black Nissan Navara. Nobody on the catwalk was owning up to it, it's possible they could've been upstairs.
Walking out I noticed that some people have started parking outside the village hall, this is also going to cause problems.
 dirtbag1 04 May 2008
In reply to Serpico: Saturday (yesterday) the black navarro was there again, local possibly?
Serpico 04 May 2008
In reply to dirtbag1:
There's a Black pick-up which is always parked just as you go in (that might be a Navarro as well), but that belongs to the house on the corner. This one was parked up at the top opposite the guys house.
 dirtbag1 04 May 2008
In reply to Serpico: That's the one I saw then. cheers A.
 Bulls Crack 04 May 2008
In reply to Serpico:
> (In reply to andy farnell)
> [...]
> That carpark isn't open that often now. It was shut at the weekend again.

Why don't you all just use the friggin' car parks ffs?
Serpico 05 May 2008
In reply to Bulls Crack:
> (In reply to Serpico)
> [...]
>
> Why don't you all just use the friggin' car parks ffs?

Many people do, but it's often full. They occasionally open the field opposite for parking, but it was too wet and muddy yesterday.
Fortunately I managed to get parked in the village.

Bulls Crack 05 May 2008
In reply to Serpico:

Fair enough - it just sounded like a cost thing
 Enty 05 May 2008
In reply to Bulls Crack:

It's a distance thing. Parking at the main carpark at the bottom of the village will add 4 minutes to the walk in to the cove.

The Ent

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...