Climbing/fellrunning shoes fashionable!!??!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Allan Thomson 15 Feb 2007
Was on my home from work today, when I noticed a hot East European chick who'd been serving us at our xmas party on the other side of the street. Looking down at her feet I noticed she was wearing what appeared to be a pair of climbing shoes!!!

A few weeks back I spotted a lad out in our local nightclub wearing what appeared to be a pair of flat soled walshes.

Having bought a pair of xc spikes today from New Balance, they look quite 'cool & fashionable' as well.

Also checking my red chilli's brochure from a few years back it seems to have a rather fashion inspired imagery with a hot model in a glamourous dress getting picked up by a guy in climbing shoes.

Though not a supporter of fashion generally (more like the anti fashion), I was wondering if I started wearing my retired pairs of fell/xc/climbing shoes about town, would I be really hip & radical??

Better still, I could get all my worn out old shoes resoled & then sell them as the latest thing in fashion to guillible people (who pay more for the ungenuine article, than I do for the real thing!!) - that way I could fund my climbing, running & my biking!!

What's the next step?? Spd shoes on the clubbing scene???

(Actually that's a bit last season as last year I went out clubbing dressed in full biking lycra with SPD shoes on after having been out for a late training ride & arriving back too late to get changed & go out - therefore I just rode down to the club I work at, parked my lovely bike outside & persuaded the somewhat apprehensive bouncers to let me in as I was!! Warning SPD SL shoes are murder on the dancefloor, you slip all over the place in them!!!)!!
> What's the next step?? Spd shoes on the clubbing scene???

Nah, way too geeky! I've seen shoes knocking around that look like stickies too - had to take a second look at a Chinese girl in Soho the other day I swore was wearing Scarpas!
 BelleVedere 15 Feb 2007
In reply to Allan Thomson:

I think it was La Sportiva who did a model with a trainer company (replay or someone) - it was in Arena about 2 years ago

I couldn't find it, but i did find a nice air of shoes

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/12041468.html
OP Allan Thomson 15 Feb 2007
In reply to fiend$ish:
> (In reply to Allan Thomson)
> [...]
>
>
> Nah, way too geeky!

No way!! could you imagine these badboys on the dancefloor!!??!!.. http://i9.ebayimg.com/03/i/06/6e/52/ef_1.JPG

Mtn bike shoes might be better though??/ How about these??..http://brandscycle.com/itemdetails.cfm?catalogId=39&id=7557

NB make sure you take the cleats off first!!!
fiend$ish 15 Feb 2007
> (In reply to fiend$ish)
> [...]
>
>
> No way!! could you imagine these badboys on the dancefloor!!??!!.. http://i9.ebayimg.com/03/i/06/6e/52/ef_1.JPG
>
You dancing with Robocop?

In reply to fiend$ish:
> (In reply to Allan Thomson)
> [...]
> You dancing with Robocop?

No I'm taking me bird out tonight. She's very moody, I don't let her out of the cellar often, but she stuns everyone else.

http://www.cavblog.co.uk/uploaded_images/pail129-768289.jpg

She said something about us needing to 'upgrade to be compatible, I thought perhaps those shoes would do the trick???
 Frank4short 15 Feb 2007
In reply to Allan Thomson: Nah the whole slick climbing shoe type fashion has pretty much been & gone. Never really took off in a big way.

As to your NB spikes I suspect you just have serious deficiency of coolness if you think they look cool.

Finally the spd thing. Well i had a Dutch courier friend who had a pair of spats with spd cleats on them that were way cool. They were however a million miles away from your standard road shoe, which just look, well Crap!
In reply to Frank4short:
No way road shoes are cool, they just have to be well made that's all. I think cycling clothing looks really good on lasses!!

My NB spikes seriously do look good!!

Definciency of coolness?? I have my own style & I stand alone on that - people admire me for it!! No sheeplike mental slavery for me!!.. :-P
iain roberto 15 Feb 2007
In reply to Allan Thomson: Apologies for just diving in, but kids used to wear boreal lasers to raves, a few years back now, around our way in manchester.

Got a pair of the NB spikes and the laces are mad. When i was out running in them over the summer some bloke yelled at me, saying i looked a twàt. And he was right.
In reply to iain roberto:

You were out running in them???

I can understand racing in spikes but training???

Who cares what they look like anyway, it's how they perform that really matters. However I do still think mine look good - perhaps they're a new 2007 model??
iain roberto 16 Feb 2007
Who cares what they look like anyway, it's how they perform that really matters.
Spot on. I know a guy who works for berghaus who believes that "it's all about the look. Forget function!" I say if you can't dance in them, what's the point.

Anyway i love my NB's for fell running (training and races). Might give em a scrub up tonight and go out in Keswick in em.
 jeedy7 16 Feb 2007
In reply to iain roberto: didn't you also wear zimbabaloboo pants roberto. ripping it up volts in the old days
iain roberto 17 Feb 2007
In reply to jeedy7: Hey John. Me and Chris are off on a trip next week. Going dancing in my nepal tops. Chris will be sick on the street and we'll probably get feck all done, again.
 jeedy7 17 Feb 2007
In reply to iain roberto: so did chris tell you about my session of winding him up. my trip fell through so the slice of humble pie i'm eating is huge
 jeedy7 17 Feb 2007
In reply to iain roberto: i've decided to go on that trip to the himalaya if its still a go going to check out big boots this afternoon
TDT 17 Feb 2007
In reply to Allan Thomson: bright colours are in the this year
iain roberto 17 Feb 2007
In reply to jeedy7: Good lad. You going for the summit tick then? I've got a pair of Vegas going cheap if you're interested.

Can you carry empty MSR cylinders on planes now? Chris is insisting on taking his, but i remember they took one off us when we went to the states.

Lassies clumping round the dancefloors in those flourescent old Asolo plackies would be the next step eh?

Davie
 jeedy7 18 Feb 2007
In reply to iain roberto: think you have to wake sure they are empty and don't smell so wash them out and leave the lid off for a few days. fingers crossed with this trip but i'll have to see it in oct/nov.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...