Peak Moorland Crags Closed Because of Critical Fire Risk

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
The National Park Authority have announced that the Peak Moorland crags have been closed as of today because of critical fire risk. The exceptions to this are all public rights of way, and for climbing on the edges of - Curbar, Froggatt, Stanage (Popular to Causeway), the Roaches.

There is no other access open to any other moorland crag.

If you do go out on the edges during the hot spell, then please help police the situation by keeping an eye out for any small fires and dialling 999 if you see anything - speed is of the essence. If you see anyone smoking then help them properly extinguish their cigarette - don't stub it out in the peat!!!

The moors will remain closed until there is any significant rain. The situation will be reviewed on Thursday 20th when there is rain forecast.

Alan James
UKC
 Simon 18 Jul 2006
In reply to Alan James - UKC:

Does that mean that Derwent, Bamford, Burbage Valley, Baslow, Gardoms & Birchin's are closed to climbers do we think?

Cheers

Si

Chris the Tall 18 Jul 2006
In reply to Simon:
Not suprised at Derwent and Bamford being closed off, but very suprised if Burbage valley were to be closed.

Mind you, public rights of way are never affected by these closures anyway (the authority doesn't have the, erm, authority). What is important is that climbers keep an eye out for smoke, and smokers.....
In reply to Simon:
> Does that mean that Derwent, Bamford, Burbage Valley, Baslow, Gardoms & Birchin's are closed to climbers do we think?

Yes they are closed, as stated ion the opening post.

Alan
 sutty 18 Jul 2006

Get the Limestone fax out PDQ then.
 Simon 18 Jul 2006
In reply to Chris the Tall:
> (In reply to Simon)
>
very suprised if Burbage valley were to be closed.
>
> Mind you, public rights of way are never affected by these closures anyway (the authority doesn't have the, erm, authority

Well it seems that the Valleys shut to climbers - but does that mean that people won't be climbing on the crags? - I think not also!

- there was a huge fire on Bleaklow not so long ago caused by a campfire - 6000 sq metres I think of heather went up...

..so I agree vigilence is best if you do plan to climb on the closed crags - or better still - don't & get down the dales on the slimestone!

si
 toad 18 Jul 2006
In reply to Simon: interesting trivia - most accidental moorland fires are started at weekends on or near footpaths.

Wingnut 18 Jul 2006
Hope it *does* pee it down on the 20th!

(Btw, is there a phone number for updates for those who may be making an early start on the weekend and hence offline?)
 Matt Rees 18 Jul 2006
In reply to toad:

People throwing cigarette but away whilst out for a stroll? Or more complex and numerous reasons?
 Simon Caldwell 18 Jul 2006
I'm not doubting you - but is this closure detailed anywhere else? There's no mention on the NPA website, nor the BBC, nor anywhere else I can find.
And is it just the Peak? We're off to the North York Moors this evening, and I know there was a big heather fire up there over the weekend, but no closures seem to have been announced yet.
 Richard 18 Jul 2006
Muz 18 Jul 2006
In reply to Wingnut:
The BMC volunteer access reps are being kept informed - you could ring one of them for an update if required. numbers on BMC website.

J
In reply to Richard:
d'oh!
 2pints 18 Jul 2006
In reply to Richard:
Say's Burbage is open

:-S
 Richard 18 Jul 2006
In reply to 2pints:

I didn't write it...
In reply to Richard:
Seems to have died, maybe the server caught fire.
 andi_e 18 Jul 2006
In reply to Alan James - UKC: Does this include Chew Valley? I presume it does...
 Simon 18 Jul 2006
In reply to Muz:

can you find out if Burbage is open or not?? - seems theres some confusion mate!

si
 JdotP 18 Jul 2006
Is the fire risk lower if you're climbing on limestone?
 andi_e 18 Jul 2006
In reply to Matt Rees: Fires can be caused in numerous ways. One of the most dangerous is that of burning ash (possibly from cigarettes) smouldering underground for up to a month before igniting properly.

There were fires on the west pennine moors not so long ago...
 andi_e 18 Jul 2006
In reply to martin riddell: exactly the same as those at the top
 Simon 18 Jul 2006
In reply to martin riddell:

and different to those on the BMC website!

as said before... can't see people not climbing at burbage this weekend even if it is banned!

si
Muz 18 Jul 2006
In reply to Simon:
Si, you lazy person...

All peak moorland is closed for climbing except the 4 areas stated. Obviously rights of way are still open.

Limestone areas are also ok for climbing.

and before anyone asks, Wharncliffe is also unavailable.

This isn't just the National Park being frivolous, there is a real risk here, and climbers should limit themselves to Frogatt, Curbar, Roaches and Stanage Popular End.

It's only down to the efforts of a certain BMC volunteer that there isn't a total ban.

J

toad 18 Jul 2006
In reply to Matt Rees:

http://www.moorsforthefuture.org.uk/mftf/information/fire.htm

bit of an overview - I saw a presentation on this last year and the general view was the highest risk was discarded ciggies from walkers - people tend not to go off the paths particularly so I've often wondered what good closures do with the ROWs still open.

Simon 18 Jul 2006
In reply to Muz:
>
> All peak moorland is closed for climbing except the 4 areas stated. Obviously rights of way are still open.
>

not lazy - just confused - as there's five here - on the BMC site!

http://www.thebmc.co.uk/news_det.asp?item_id=1012

- just trying to clarify thats all as you stated that all BMC reps have been informed - as yet I have not - thats all!

cheers

si
In reply to Muz:
> and before anyone asks, Wharncliffe is also unavailable.

Really?
Not according to http://www.openaccess.gov.uk

(which confirms that Burbage is closed, as are most of the North York Moors, but not - yet - the Embsay moors near Skipton)
 Chris Fryer 18 Jul 2006
Should this be a Premier Post?
 Richard 18 Jul 2006
In reply to Chris Fryer:

Or in News? Something on the front page for this sort of thing?
 Tig Tay 18 Jul 2006

Should the BMC's new Regional Accesss Database not be updated then? It's still showing crags like Bamford as being open.
 TN 18 Jul 2006
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

Where'd you find that? That's a really difficult site to find anything on.

The info Muz is posting comes from the main Peak Area access dude who I believe was involved in these discussions, so I am certain it's accurate. (If there's one thing 'enry is, it's accurate!!)

We'll keep you posted if there is anything more said.
In reply to TN:
> That's a really difficult site to find anything on.

Yes it is, but it's also supposed to provide the definitive source of information about CRoW land and temporary restrictions. It's been updated with the NY Moors and Peak NP closures, but Wharncliffe is still shown as open - which supposedly means that it is still open.

We've decided not to risk it just in case, and are off to Peak Scar instead, which is a limestone crag in a damp ravine in the woods so definitely won't be restricted!
 sutty 18 Jul 2006
In reply to TN:

No idea what SimonC is looking at as could not see anything there.

Also PNP still has nothing in news;

http://www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/index/news.htm
 TN 18 Jul 2006

How odd!
(How DID you find that info - seriously. That looks like a really useful site but not if you can't find anything!)

I agree it's best not to risk it anyway, if it has been specifically mentioned by any party.
I think I shall mostly be lounging in my garden as it's just too darned hot....
In reply to Simon:

The BMC news item is wrong. Burbage Valley, including Burbage North, South, Higgar, Carl Wark Mother Cap, Over Owler Tor and Millstone are all closed. Henry has just told me on the telephone and he was part of the negotiating team.

Alan
In reply to Tig Tay:
> Should the BMC's new Regional Accesss Database not be updated then? It's still showing crags like Bamford as being open.

BMC Access DB is a long term thing. Also, there are countless entries in it that are years out of date, nevermind a few hours.

Alan
 TN 18 Jul 2006
In reply to TN:

Okay, found it - from this page: http://www.countrysideaccess.gov.uk/things_to_do/open_access click on the 'Access Maps' at the bottom, select 'East' and then drill down through that.

And Wharncliff DOES appear to be unaffected, which is doubly confusing...
 IanJackson 18 Jul 2006
In reply to Simon Caldwell: you have the right idea our plans were the wain stones tonight, will it still be open access
?
In reply to Richard:

Now added as a news item
In reply to Chris Fryer:
> Should this be a Premier Post?

Not much point while it is an active post.

Alan
 sutty 18 Jul 2006
In reply to TN:

Well Warncliffe is a sort of coal seam so it will not burn.
In reply to TN:
> And Wharncliff DOES appear to be unaffected, which is doubly confusing...

Wharncliffe is probably not considered 'Peak moorland'. Neither is Rivelin, Cratcliffe, Agden and Blacks Rocks I suspect.

Alan
In reply to IanJackson:
Wainstones look to be right on the edge of the closed area, that (and/or Ravenstones) was our plan B (Plan A was Scugdale which is definitely shut). On zooming in though it looks like the closure starts at the forest fence, ie 200m below the crag.
Peak Scar was heaving last week, 21 cars there, I hate to think what it'll be like tonight! If too bad we'll probably head along to Whitestone.
In reply to sutty:
> No idea what SimonC is looking at as could not see anything there.

Maybe you have to go in via the route TN mentioned. Anyway, it's the official source of all information re CRoW land in England (Wales has its own site). It includes all land normally open, and also has details of all temporary closures.
In reply to Simon: The BMC thing says Burbage is open.
 Chris the Tall 18 Jul 2006
It's worth emphasising that this is an agreement negioated by the BMC access team (i.e Henry) and therefore should be treated with the same sort of respect as we would bird bans.

So even if we aren't convinced of the logic behind it, it should be observed. I guess the PDNPA want to limit climbing to the most popular crags in order to ensure they can have sufficient wardens to keep a watch out for fires

Also note that Stannington Ruffs doesn't appear to be affected
In reply to Richard Bradley:
So it does.
But the Countryside Agency site says it's closed.
Maybe the BMC have negotiated access for climbers only?
The National Park Authority have just updated their list of crags and basically opened access to a load more crags which has confused everyone.

The shorter list is now the crags banned due to critical fire risk -

Stanage (Stanage End past High Neb to the Causeway), Bamford, Baslow, Gardom's, all the high moorland crags including Kinder, Bleaklow, Derwent and the Chew.

Contrary to earlier information, the Burbage Valley Crags, including the quarries, are open.

This will be reviewed on Thursday.

Alan
UKC
 TN 18 Jul 2006
In reply to Chris the Tall:
> (In reply to Alan James - UKC)
>
> Also note that Stannington Ruffs doesn't appear to be affected

Woohoo - that's my evening sorted then!
 Andy Say 18 Jul 2006
'I guess the PDNPA want to limit climbing to the most popular crags in order to ensure they can have sufficient wardens to keep a watch out for fires'
You're right - I'm not convinced of the logic behind that! And in the past it has been suggested that a good way of preventing the spread of any fires started (and the post earlier that suggested that most fires are started either pathside or very near to access points was accurate) was to have the moorland crags occupied by climbers rather than deserted.

Andy Say 18 Jul 2006
They normally close the barden estate a bit closer to the 12th August.
 Jon Greengrass 18 Jul 2006
In reply to Alan James - UKC: what happe*s if i flout the ba-, do the PD*PA have a*y power to police this?
 Jon Greengrass 18 Jul 2006
In reply to Jon Greengrass: o seco*d thoughts why a*yo*e would wa*t to climb o* the Grit i- this type of heat is beyo*d me?
 TN 18 Jul 2006

We've just spoken to Henry again. In addition to those crags/areas on the list that should be avoided (Stanage (Stanage End past High Neb to the Causeway), Bamford, Baslow, Gardom's, all the high moorland crags including Kinder, Bleaklow, Derwent and the Chew), please add Chatsworth.

Birchen is not affected (currently) and there is no word from Sheffield Council whether Wharncliff is or isn't affected. I guess, unless we hear otherwise, assume Wharncliff is okay - just apply common sense and pull up anyone who looks like they're causing a fire risk.

We'll keep you informed as we get any news.
 Simon 18 Jul 2006
In reply to TN & all:

Well done in getting the up to date access finally sorted - been a bit confusing ey?

..One thing I can say is that Lawrencefield is not affected as went there today and there are now 5 iron steaks above the pool for you all to belay on (another thing ticked off the list to do!! ;0)

cheers

Si
 craig h 18 Jul 2006
In reply to toad:
> the general view was the highest risk was discarded ciggies from walkers - people tend not to go off the paths particularly so I've often wondered what good closures do with the ROWs still open.

If you put a sign up saying moorland closed due to fire risk, many people accept this and do not know they still have access to the rights of ways. Most I found were happy to go else where, especially if you could recommend another walk.

I worked for the Yorkshire Dales NP as a warden in the late 80’s/ early 90’s, one aspect was turning people away from the Barden Moor/Fell areas at times of high fire risk. Crookrise was always a problem as it lay outside the estate, but the initial access was across the moor, if a rope was hanging outside the rucksack I’d turn a blind eye, but warn about the risk; on a few occasions when then heading up to Crookrise, would find the same climbers smoking or discarded fag butts.

Not as bad as the people having a disposable BBQ 100m into the moor at Halton Heights, I had to put the BBQ out, the sausages were not even done I had a bad response from them initially when I suggested it may be a bad idea to have a BBQ, they had seen the signs but never saw the risk.

How often in the UK are we restricted due to high fire risk after all, a bit of common sense helps.

craig h 18 Jul 2006
In reply to TN:

Are the areas effected in the Chew Valley all the moorland crags or just the ones which lie in the NP?
 Graham T 18 Jul 2006
In reply to craig h:
Doesn't surprise me about bamford, there was a fire in the wood over the road on sunday afternoon. entire place is tinder dry
 TN 19 Jul 2006
In reply to craig h:

The only firm info we have is from the NP and they're advising to avoid all the moorland areas, even though they have only issued the closure on 'their parts'. If you know who owns the relevant 'other parts' you could try their website, or contact Rick Gibbon via this page: http://www.thebmc.co.uk/outdoor/rad/accrep.htm (for this is his domain...)

Cheers,

T
 Al Evans 19 Jul 2006
In reply to TN: I guess you'd be ok on Stannington Ruffs
 TN 19 Jul 2006
In reply to Al Evans:

If you mean okay as in 'get covered in slime and crap and catch something nasty' then I am sure you're right!
It truly IS grim down there now you know - I don't know if it was any better when you guys used the place but it's not good now. Pity really because it IS literally just behind our house.

If anyones in need of a bit of dirty fun (fnar fnar) though, maybe a bit of traffic is what the place needs.
Or napalm...
 Ben1983 19 Jul 2006

Is there any news regarding Windgather and Castle Naze? In the Park, banned according to Open Access's map but not mentioned in the current banned list and not really on 'moorland'.
 Andy Say 19 Jul 2006
In reply to craig h:
I can recall going up to Crookrise during such a ban in the 90's (as a non smoker carrying no inflamables nor fire raising equipment beyond the lenses in my specs I though of myself as 'low risk' as well as being bolshie). An estate worker was working on the walls along the top of Crookrise; along with his double burner stove and gas cylinder.
He didn't have a BBQ though!
 cmgcmg 19 Jul 2006

The signes are very clever in the way they are writen. They state that the moor is closd in very big letters and then explain why, then at the bottom is a small print explaining that this does not affect rights of way. This should keep most people of the moors and the paths. These are carefully managed environments that need our cooperation in looking after them. For the best part they are there for us all to enjoy all year round. It is very rare that they get closed.

The damage done by fire in this weather is unbelivable. I've heard of moorland and grass fires progressing so fast that you can not out run them. The diffence between this and the controlled burn is in the extent or area that gets destroyed. The wild life has nowhere to go and the burning is much more intense than the controlled burns.

Time to visit those road side quarries that you've been ignoring lately.
 Chris the Tall 19 Jul 2006
In reply to Simon:

> ..One thing I can say is that Lawrencefield is not affected as went there today and there are now 5 iron steaks above the pool for you all to belay on (another thing ticked off the list to do!! ;0)
>

As a vegetarian can I register my disgust at using any sort of steaks for belaying on. Furthermore telling people there are steaks up there may prompt people to go and have a barbecue, which is of course a major fire risk. Stakes on the other hand are perfectly acceptable
 Simon Caldwell 19 Jul 2006
Just to confirm for anyone interested, the North York Moors are also subject to a similar closure, though without any exceptions having been negotiated.
http://www.moors.uk.net/content.php?nID=17;id=313

Though apparently there were no notices at Scugdale last night informing people, so several climbers were out.

Also the Yorkshire Dales NP.
http://www.yorkshiredales.org.uk/section_news_detail.htm?id=4486&sectio...

The promised rain now looks like missing the Peak and Moors though may hit the Dales.
 sea anenome 19 Jul 2006

ha ha, that website mentions the "devastating Fylingdales fire of 2003", so how come I was still up to my armpits in heather last time I tried to race there!! I could have done with a few patches of burnt ground.

Anyone know anything about restrictions further north - Shaftoe for example?

cheers.
 Simon Caldwell 19 Jul 2006
In reply to sea anenome:
The site may be a pain but it's not that hard to use!
Shaftoe is open BTW.
 sutty 19 Jul 2006
In reply to sea anenome:

controlled heather burning is used in a lot of places to improve the heather for feeding grouse chicks, but usually done at the back end of the year.

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/library3/environment/msup-06.asp

http://www.defra.gov.uk/rds/hgbc.pdf
Anonymous 19 Jul 2006
In reply to sutty: I spent a lot of last year wandering round the Peak with a dGPS backpack plotting burned heather areas. These are "cool burns" in underlying wet conditions - even these do considerable environmental damage, but a wild fire in these conditions would be horrendous, impossible to control and would have long term implications not just for conservation, farming and shooting, but also for drinking water quality for years to come

Toad (on work pc)
 sutty 19 Jul 2006
In reply to Anonymous:

Toad, I used to have a book on slash and burn that worked out which methods were sustainable and which should be scrapped. Reading some modern stuff on it there seems to have been a going backwards in thinking, for expediency I suppose. shame.
Kinley 24 Jul 2006

Banning access? Why not just ban smoking! It strikes me that those who have barbecues where they are banned are the same sorts who will ignore access restrictions.
 Liam M 27 Jul 2006
In reply to Alan James - UKC: I don't know if it's stated anywhere in this thread as it's quite long, but does anyone have any details of any restrictions outside of the peak district (e.g. crags in North Yorks). Cheers
 Simon Caldwell 27 Jul 2006
In reply to Liam M:
The North York Moors were closed but are now open again. But the bits of the Dales which were closed (mostly the south and east of the NP) are still closed.
You can search for specific locations here:
http://www.countrysideaccess.gov.uk/things_to_do/open_access/open_access_ma...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...