Davy Gunn gets MBE

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Martin W 31 Dec 2004
From the BBC news pages about the New Year Honours list:

Mountain rescuer David Gunn, 47, said he was "a little bit in shock" but "very pleased" to be appointed an MBE after more than 30 years of life-saving work.

The honour was in recognition for services to the voluntary Glencoe Mountain Rescue organisation.

Well done Davy!
 Rob Naylor 31 Dec 2004
In reply to Martin W:

Excellent! It's good to see someone who's not a "media tart" but who's just been working solidly away for decades being recognised for the work they've put in.

I know he posts here occasionally, so good on yer, Davy.
 sutty 31 Dec 2004
In reply to Martin W:

Congratulations to him, and all the other unsung people who do similar work and do not get any medals. You know your efforts are appreciated.
 Dave Stelmach 31 Dec 2004
In reply to Martin W: Excellent, at last the Queen has seen the value of rewarding hard work, dedication and bravery, rather than the usual shower of obsequious pony that are normally rewarded. It's a reflection of teamwork as well as individual effort.
In reply to Martin W:

A well deserved acknowledgement of years of work, My thanks go out to ALL MR team members for the tremendous work they do.

Ricky
Andrew McLellan 31 Dec 2004
In reply to Dave SteBlmach:

But nothing to do with the Queen.
In reply to Andrew McLellan: Who pins them on then?
 tony 31 Dec 2004
In reply to Dave Stelmach:

You mean you really think the Queen actually comes up with all the lists herself? You an imagine the conversations with Phil "What do you think about this one, Philip?" "Harumph, bloody jock/nignog/slittyeyes/woman/poof/commoner/!"
In reply to tony: If that's what he thinks of his wife, they should divorce!
In reply to Martin W: Great news. I've met him through worka few times and what a top bloke he is - modest about his climbing ability (ask him about some of the stuff he's soloed!) and all round good egg. HNY, Nick
Kipper 31 Dec 2004
In reply to Martin W:

Very good news! Going through the actual lists reveals a number of 'unsung heroes'.

Sadly, I couldn't find myself. Again.
 Allan Thomson 31 Dec 2004
What did Davy do to get singled out among all the other members of the MR team? Well deserved though, unlike some of these popstars etc.
madcompass 01 Jan 2005
Congratulations Davy, well deserved.

Remember meeting him in Great Gully a few years back during an avalanche search. My mate and I had ab'd off North Buttress into the gully after getting a shout that there had been an avalanche and just as we got there he appeared. To this day I still canna fathom oot how he managed to get there so quick.

If my mind serves me correctly I think that was the job where they were thinking about dropping explosives from the chopper to bring the rest of the slope down so the gully could be searched safely.
uriel 01 Jan 2005
In reply to Martin W:

Respect to him for all his dedicated services..

I was dissapointed to not hear a mention of him in the news last night.
Unfortunatly not as high profile as all the athletes who were honoured.

Uri
 Rob Naylor 02 Jan 2005
In reply to Allan Thomson:
> What did Davy do to get singled out among all the other members of the MR team?

Well he's been associated with the team for about 30 years. I believe he was team leader for a while and is currently the Treasurer and Medical Officer...he's certainly been one of the prime movers of the team for some years, and was the "public face" of the Glencoe team for quite a while.
Jonno 02 Jan 2005
In reply to Martin W:

Shame on him.....The Honours system is an outdated farce which has no place in a 21st century state.
I'd have more respect for an individual if they told the state where to stick their stupid gong.
 sutty 02 Jan 2005
In reply to Jonno:

Come on John, with a comment like that we will have to nominate you for services to parsimony.

This is one of those cases where medals are the only official recognition for services rendered.
Jonno 02 Jan 2005
In reply to sutty:
>>
> This is one of those cases where medals are the only official recognition for services rendered.

Why so ?

'Member of the British Empire' medal.Appropriate in 1905 maybe but in 2005 !
Sorry,but my respect goes out of the window the moment they accept some pointless relic of the days of empire and mindless servitude.
 chris j 02 Jan 2005
In reply to Jonno: Oh come on! WTF does it matter what the medal's called, it's just recognition that he's done a bloody good job above and beyond the call of duty for a very long time.

Or would you prefer it modernised, brought up to date and instead the story could have been 'Today Davy Gunn was honoured to be named Tony's Best Mate, Grade 3 (Lower Class), given a £5000 cheque and a place in the next series of Big Brother!'
Jonno 02 Jan 2005
In reply to chris j:

I don't believe in awarding honours full stop.

It's meaningless twaddle.

You can call it 'The Bonzo Dog lemon flavoured medal of Babylon' for all I care.
Geoffrey Michaels 02 Jan 2005
In reply to Jonno:

For once I agree with you. Was there not a poet who was awarded one but turned it down. To be honest I don't really care for the Royals and establishment in general. Where are they now in the wake of the Asia disaster.
Jonno 02 Jan 2005
In reply to The Sultan of Loch Quoich:
> (In reply to Jonno)
>
> For once I agree with you. Was there not a poet who was awarded one but turned it down.

Benjamen Zephaniah.

Others who have politely told Buck House and HM Gov where to stick their gong include.

Nigella Lawson
Albert Finney
David Bowie,
George Melly
John Cleese
Honour Blackman
Kenneth Branagh
Roal Dahl
Alfred Hitchcock
Graham Greene
LS Lowry
David Hockney
Phillip Larkin
Vanessa Redgrave and hundreds more.

So Davy Gunn,whoever you are,you too can give mountaineering some credibilty by joing the above and sending your monkey suit back to Burtons with the message...'no longer needed' !

Steve Blake 02 Jan 2005
In reply to Jonno:

You are excruciating!! You have the nerve to tell DG what he should do!! What's more offensive is that you talk as if; a - he asked to be awarded, and b that he will lose credibility if he accepts. Well, maybe in your tiny world you jerk.

Did I see anything in what you have posted so far saying thank you to DG and his ilk for doing what they have for god knows how long? No. Enough said. I certainly don't mind being numbered in those who are grateful for the work done by MRT's and have absolutely no problem with it being given recognition.

As to the relevance of the system in this day and age that's a different issue - you may be right - And if it defines the same level of recognition then that's fine. But I don't think so. (Do you even know him?)

Davy Gunn should do what he see's fit. If he want's to accept that's his business - if he chooses not to, that's his business. It's none of yours.

SB
Jonno 02 Jan 2005
In reply to Steve Blake:

Whatever happened to the concept of service to others being reward in itself ?

One shouldn't need pointless jee-jaw from the 19th century to gain satisfaction in providing a service to others.

J (Ex MRT member)
Anonymous 02 Jan 2005
In reply to Steve Blake:

Well said.
Anonymous 02 Jan 2005
In reply to Jonno:
> (In reply to Steve Blake)
>
> Whatever happened to the concept of service to others being reward in itself ?

Has Davy asked for this award? Does it diminish the reward he gets from being part of MRT?

> One shouldn't need pointless jee-jaw from the 19th century to gain satisfaction in providing a service to others.

He is being recognised for his effort, just what is wrong with that? The fact the honours system seems to be related to our imperial past seems to the your main complaint but this shouldn't stop people being recognised for their hard work.

Steve Blake 02 Jan 2005
In reply to Jonno:

You don't get it do you, this thread isn't the place to spout your opinions about the system. If you want to then take the trouble to start your own thread on the topic. Then we can ignore it if we choose. I would think this thread was initiated to say congrats and well done to DG and his mates.

You've had your say, If you don't like it go away. And I;m not posting any more cos it just fuels your rude and ungracious attitude.

SB
 Allan Thomson 02 Jan 2005
In reply to all above:

I agree, it shouldn't matter what the award is called, it is good that he is being recognised for his work. Of course Jonno hijacks it to go off on one of his anti establishment rants......
tom.ath 03 Jan 2005
In this case, the award recognises outstanding service over a long period of time. It shouldn't matter what the award is called. However, in my oppinion, giving the award to athletes for winning one moment of glory is silly, especially when their training is funded with public money. More people like DG should be recognised for their outstanding service to the community.
 Rob Naylor 03 Jan 2005
In reply to tom.ath:

Precisely. Note that *every one* of the "refuseniks" listed by Jonno above is a celebrity who has already reaped financial and other rewards in great profusion just from earning their normal living...these are people who I think have had quite enough recognition and it galls me that they are offered "honours".

I have no problem with "honours" as such. It's not "the Queen" who decides them, as Jonno seems to think, but a committee. The Queen's only involved at the level of actually investing the awards.

OK, maybe the names of the awards are anachronistic and the ceremonies surrounding them just a bit of pomp, but that's nothing to get your knickers in a twist about. It's a cheap but public way of recognising public service (when used properly) for people who didn't ask or expect to be recognised.
Jonno 03 Jan 2005
In reply to Rob Naylor:

It's hopelessly anachronistic in this day and age.
You would expect some chav like Kelly Holmes to lap it up but not an intelligent mountaineer.
What IS the point of pinning a medal dedicated to 'empire' on someone's chest in 2005 ?
I don't know DG but he would certainly gain my respect if he turned it down and cracked on with his MR activities as plain old Davy Gunn 'member of the human race 2005'.

Come on Davy...Chavsville is no place for you.
In reply to Jonno: Jonno, You're really missing the point here. The medal is not "dedicated to 'empire'" in any way shape or form. I happen to have met Davy and am 100% sure that he will carry on as "plain old Davy Gunn' member of the human race 2005'". He's not the sort of guy who'll mention it at all. That's why he was quoted as saying he's surprised. You have failed to explain why it's "hopelessly anachronistic in this day and age". He deserves your respect, and the respect of others, whether he accepts the medal or not. Frankly, if he doesn't get your respect, I really don't think that bothers him or anyone. I detect jealousy here even though you would never admit it. Never done anything that caught the attention of others but secretly wish you had eh? Nick
 Allan Thomson 03 Jan 2005
In reply to Jonno:
> (In reply to Rob Naylor)
>
> You would expect some chav like Kelly Holmes to lap it >up but not an intelligent mountaineer.

Oy what's wrong with Kelly? By all accounts she is a down to earth person, and she has achieved excellence in her chosen disciplines. And she has served in the armed forces as well.

Now you're just clutching at straws in your trolling Jonno.

Anonymous 03 Jan 2005
In reply to Jonno:

Perhaps the Queen could give you an MBE for being a complete dickhead?

Rob Naylor 03 Jan 2005
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:

I think the comments about whether he should accept it or not aren't valid anyway. The fact that he appeared on the list means that he *did* accept it.

The way that it works is that the individual is approached beforehand to find out whether they'd accept an honour or not. If they say "no", then nothing more is said.

At the time they're approached to find out their feelings on the subject, they haven't actually been *offered* one to turn down....just approached to see whther, *if* they were offered one, they'd take it.

I wonder how many of those on Jonno's list actually were approached, and how many have just said that they turned one down as a form of inverted snobbery? The only way it would become public is if the person so approached publicised it themselves.
 Tom Last 03 Jan 2005
In reply to Martin W:

I think that he should get an award for having the best name ever.

I'm dead jealous.

},-
In reply to Anonymous: Anonymous, Couldn't put it better myself. nick
 CENSORED 03 Jan 2005
In reply to Jonno:

> J (Ex MRT member)

Couldn't they stand your student politics and posturing anymore?
In reply to CENSORED: no doubt Jonno would accept the reward if it were the "Josef Stalin Medal" for "Services to the Revolution, and loyalty to the party".....
Jonno 03 Jan 2005
In reply to Rob Naylor:
>
>
> I wonder how many of those on Jonno's list actually were approached, and how many have just said that they turned one down as a form of inverted snobbery? The only way it would become public is if the person so approached publicised it themselves.>

You could hardly call the daughter of a former Tory Chancellor 'dangerous lefty'.By the same token you could
hardly describe LS Lowry or Graham Greene as 'celebrities'.
Just a broad mix of individuals who see these pointless
lucky bag bits of tat for the tacky chav badges they really are.

I always thought climbers were supposed to be a bit anarchistic and unconventional...except for Chris Bonnington !

In reply to Jonno: Maybe some of them actually thought they didn't deserve it, and that more deserving people than them - like Davy, should get them instead. Anyway just cos someone is the daughter of a former Tory Chancellor doesn't stop them from being a (you words) "Dangerous Lefty" and objecting to their fathers/mothers principles.
 CENSORED 03 Jan 2005
In reply to Jonno:
> I always thought climbers were supposed to be a bit anarchistic and unconventional...except for Chris Bonnington !

Does Doug Scott fit your bill better, I'd certainly say that he's a caring climber with more than a hint of the humanitarian about him? He was made a CBE in 1994 and in 1999 he received the Royal Geographic Society Patron's Golds Medal.

Stop being a tool Jonno, accepting an award from 'the establishment' doesn't make you a crony, it just adds a bit more clout when you support a project/cause.

You just sound bitter!

chris j 03 Jan 2005
In reply to Jonno: You're taking chavness a little bit outside it's accepted definition - doubt you'll find many chavs that have been offered an MBE...

and you still haven't come up with any sort of argument why people who've done outstanding things (for their own reward and not monetary gain) shouldn't be recognised for their efforts. Other than you think it's tacky and you're not a fan of the monarchy or British Empire.

How about you brush the chip off your shoulder for 5 minutes and give Davy some of the respect he deserves.
Jonno 03 Jan 2005
> (In reply to CENSORED) no doubt Jonno would accept the reward if it were the "Josef Stalin Medal" for "Services to the Revolution, and loyalty to the party".....

Funny you should say that but after little old GB it's the Stalinist states like North Korea who love to award pointless gongs.
Remember those goons on Red Square groaning under the weight of meaningless medals....'Grand Order of the Soviet Tractor maintainance authority'....about as relevent as an MBE or an OBE.

CENSORED 03 Jan 2005
In reply to Martin W: Congratulations Davy on having YEARS of service recognised by the establishment, I'm sure that you don't need telling, but ignore the armchair critics!
Jonno 03 Jan 2005
In reply to chris j:
>
> How about you brush the chip off your shoulder for 5 minutes and give Davy some of the respect he deserves.>

Much respect to Davy and all members of mountain rescue teams.

Thing is....are those people working their bollox off in Sri Lanka and Thailand at the moment thinking...'With a bit of luck I'll get an MBE out of this' ?

kevin stephens 03 Jan 2005
In reply to Jonno:

In these circumstances it is common practice for the leader to accept the award on behalf of the team, as I understand was the case here.

Awards are important to the (non climbing) public, and to decline the award, unles making any specific protest would be a big snub to the public at large, not just to the establishment. Something that would be pointless and may reduce donations etc.
 CENSORED 03 Jan 2005
In reply to Jonno:
> Thing is....are those people working their bollox off in Sri Lanka and Thailand at the moment thinking...'With a bit of luck I'll get an MBE out of this' ?

You really are being a bit of a c*nt here, just shut the f*ck up, people doing these things don't do them for these reasons!
 chris j 03 Jan 2005
In reply to Jonno: I doubt that they are thinking that, but then Davy probably wasn't everytime he's gone out in some stinking hoolie on the Ben, was he, so not really much point to the comparison?

Probably if you look through the honours list you'll find a few people who've devoted their lives to helping out some of the charities and aid organisations that have people out there at the moment, not something I know about offhand...
Jonno 03 Jan 2005
In reply to CENSORED:

Why so sensitive ?

Just making the point that by dedicating one's life to the service of others is reward in itself.
Dressing up in a monkey suit and going down on one knee in front of the Queen should not be part of the deal.
 kevin stephens 03 Jan 2005
In reply to Jonno:

I suppose going down on BOTH knees in front of A queen is more your style hey Jonno?
Just thought something anyway. Naturally we're more likely to hear about celebs getting awards than the members of Joe Public. So it always seems like it is only celebs that get them for self service, whereas this may not be the case.
 CENSORED 03 Jan 2005
In reply to Jonno:

> Why so sensitive ?

Possibly because I'm bored with your constant sniping 7 your 'radical left-wing' philosophies. I'd have thought you'd have been a bit happier with Everton doing better this season.

It's a thread to congratulate someone on a job well done and all you've succeeded in doing is detracting from it, you should have started one elsewhere, but maybe that would have been ignored?

Interesting that you actually haven't responded to my point about Doug accepting an award!
stugoneclimbing 03 Jan 2005
In reply to Allan Thomson: Davy Gunn thoroughly deserves this award. It has nothing to do with politics, loving the limelight or any of the other crap that some people have mouthed off about on this site. He is a top class climber who has dedicated an incredible amount of his own time, unpaid, to help out other climbers who've got into trouble in the hills. He never blames anyone who gets in a tight spot in the hills - as he says, "Every once in a while we all have some bad luck", and he's the first to admit he's been rescued himself. The man is thoroughly deserving of his MBE and those who seem to be giving him a hard time for it are very sad if they can see anything wrong with what he's been doing for over 30 years. Good on you Davy !

Stu Mac
 McGus 03 Jan 2005
In reply to Jonno:

what a fckng arse you are - prat.
Bothermere 03 Jan 2005
In reply to Martin W: Nice one Davy!!

Grow up Jonno!
 McGus 03 Jan 2005
In reply to McGus:

mind you I'm the prat for rising to your inanane drivel when I only came on to this post to add my congratulations to DG. Don't know who this tw*t Jonno is but maybe crawl back off to where you came from eh?
Anonymous 03 Jan 2005
In reply to McGus:

He's the sort of guy that would be happy if we were all living in a 3rd-rate communist state having just chopped the heads off all Royals and celebrated by eating some cabbage soup..................
Jonno 03 Jan 2005

Sorry....just back from watching 'The Prisoner'.
Appropriate really as most on here seem to be like those tame,happy,residents of The Village.
Where was I ?
Oh yes....pointing out that the honours system should have no place in an enlightend state in the 21st century.
Medals and honours have their place in some Ruritanian fantasy land,a Stalinist dictatorship or a two bit banana republic but a so called Labour government running a modern European state should have kicked this farce into touch years ago.
In reply to Jonno: You f@cking arse, what is it that you still fail to see it is about recognising the contributions others have made to society, and saying thankyou? Does that still fly over your head?
 Rob Naylor 03 Jan 2005
In reply to Jonno:
> (In reply to Rob Naylor)
> [...]
>
> You could hardly call the daughter of a former Tory Chancellor 'dangerous lefty'.By the same token you could
> hardly describe LS Lowry or Graham Greene as 'celebrities'.
> Just a broad mix of individuals who see these pointless
> lucky bag bits of tat for the tacky chav badges they really are.

Who called *anyone* a "dangerous lefty"? Only you, as far as I can see. You always seem to be the one who tries to polarise all these types of discussion around "ists and isms". Most other people have individual views on individual topics...sometimes left-leaning, sometimes right-leaning, if you must put labels on them.

All I said was that some of them may well have been exhibiting some kind of inverted snobbery by making it public that they'd been approached and said "no". Not a mention of "dangerous lefties" anywhere.

And of course Lowry and Greene were "celebrities" by any reasonable definition of the word.

> I always thought climbers were supposed to be a bit anarchistic and unconventional...except for Chris Bonnington !

And since the "received wisdom" amongst "Guardianistas" seems to be to sneer at such things, why not be a bit unconventional by applauding an award to someone who deserves it, rather than applauding the inverted snobbery of celebs who publicise that they've turned one down ?

Congratulating someone for getting recognition for something they've done doesn't necessarily imply approval of the awards system itself. You can feel happy for someone that they've been recognised while still feeling that the system of recognition is anachronistic, for example, rather than railing against them for not spitting in Queenie's face during an investiture.
Jonno 03 Jan 2005
> (In reply to Jonno) You f@cking arse, what is it that you still fail to see it is about recognising the contributions others have made to society, and saying thankyou? Does that still fly over your head?>

Send him a fecking big tacky card with pink bows and tinsel if you want to say thank you.

You sound like the sort of person who would mind you !
 Rob Naylor 03 Jan 2005
In reply to stugoneclimbing:
> He never blames anyone who gets in a tight spot in the hills - as he says, "Every once in a while we all have some bad luck", and he's the first to admit he's been rescued himself.

I've mentioned that on here before. I've never seen Glencoe team press quotations being judgemental, unlike some of the ones I've seen from the Lochaber team, for example.

>
> Thing is....are those people working their bollox off in Sri Lanka and Thailand at the moment thinking...'With a bit of luck I'll get an MBE out of this' ?

Jonno, You clearly have a miserable fetid life. Go back to it and leave this thread. Nick

madcompass 04 Jan 2005
In reply to jonno

What a f*ckin dick you are, awa and take a jump off o The Buchaille (mind you, ye would probably struggle to reach the top in the 1st place), ex MRT you say, I assume it was some diddly Southern bogtrotters or would you care to say which one you were a member of.

You appear to be quite brave hiding behind your keyboard, why not pop along to the Clachaig some night with a 'I am Jonno' t-shirt on!
ian mcconnell 04 Jan 2005
In reply to Martin W:
Well done Davy - well deserved for your efforts and knowledge you've passed on to others

Go on then Jonno you sad pathetic prick - tell us which team threw you out...
 Davy Gunn 04 Jan 2005
In reply to Jonno:
Thanks to all for the congratulations from everyone but you. As has been said, I am only a part of a team and it is the hard work of all in the team which deserves praise, not just one individual. I have shared many experiences with these folk over the years and their best wishes (and the piss take from them over hogmanay) means more to me than any gong. However, through many a dark period both the professional community, highland police, family and work colleagues have given me (and the team) support, especially as I have taken the burden of medical responsibility for the team. A task I now share with some very skilled folk such as Ian who has replied on this thread. Were I to have turned down this award – and believe me I seriously considered doing so at one point, I would have been both ungrateful to these folk who I believe put me forward for it, and also uncaring of others who have been a lifeline to me in some dark moments.

This New Year I have had my faith in humanity restored via this simple recognition - even if I feel unworthy. I will happily take a dram at Buck house, Holyrood or wherever in recognition of this support and goodwill.

Davy Gunn MBE !!!!! The "Young Fox" who received best wishes from the "Old Fox" !!
Bothermere 04 Jan 2005
In reply to Young Fox: Nice one Davy and ignore the Knockers like Jonno, jealousy is a wicked thing!
 Erik B 04 Jan 2005
In reply to Bothermere: Nice one Davy (and the rest of the Glencoe team), you guys deserve a lot more recognition and publicity than what you get. Unlike your esteemed comrades up the loch who seem to get recognition and publicity in oil tanker loads!

keep up the brilliant work and awra best for 2005
Alan G Pike 05 Jan 2005
In reply to Jonno:
> (In reply to Allan Thomson)
> [...]
>
> Send him a fecking big tacky card with pink bows and tinsel if you want to say thank you.
>
> You sound like the sort of person who would mind you !

Jonno. I have had the Privilege of knowing Davy for over four years nowand various other members of the Glen Coe MRT and I'm delighted to hear that this award has been given.
You do not even know Davy or his collegues and you use this thread to spout your own crap.
I would like to offer you the invitation to meet up with me somewhere to discuss this in person. (Anywhere you like) and afterwards I only hope there is someone with equally good medical skills as Davy on hand to rescue you. Pratt! you could maybe get a big card with pink bows and tinsel for the end of yourhospital bed.

Congratultions Davy and the rest of the team, well done. Taff.

Carless 05 Jan 2005
In reply to all:

Just scanned through this and can only say I'm amazed.

Jonno - you occasionally have some relevant points to make, but why do you delight in making them at the crassest (is that a word?) moments?
By all means start another thread about the honours system (which I agree should be re-designed).

Congratulations to Davy et al.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...