UKC

Softshell size/fit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
tt 18 Sep 2007
Hello world.

This might be the stupidest question in the world, but:

I've just been trying on a couple of softshells (a MH Syncro and an Arc'teryx MX Hoody. What is the ideal 'fit' for a softshell? Should it be tight(ish) to the body or should there be some room in there?

Any advice appreciated.
 ayuplass 18 Sep 2007
In reply to tt:
ive got the MH syncro and it is a bit snug to be honest although i have put quite a bit of weight on since i bought it. having said that it still fits nicely and doesnt ride up or anything. the only problem is that i cant get a thick fleece under it but then if i needed to wear a thick fleece i would wear my hardshell anyway. and cos its slim fitting i can fit it under a light weight shell if the weather gets really bad.

i supose it depends what you want it for, i use mine for cycling and spring/autumn walking & climbing, if you wanted to wear one in worse weather you might need to fit more layers under it?
In reply to tt:

There are a few arguments as to why soft shells are cut close:

For climbing (esp. ice climbing), excess material can get in the way. They rely on stretch fabrics and appropriate ease in the cut (e.g. underarms) to provide the necessary mobility.

There's an argument that a close-fitting shell can shift moisture through the fabric before it cools and condenses, rather than cooling in the dead air space of a looser-fitting garment.

You might a bit of room to fit a thicker base layer, or thin mid-layer under it.

For soft shells that purport to offer mositure management via wicking, a closer cut makes this wicking more efficient.

Some jackets have very close-fitting sleeves, which cannot be pulled up for cooling; I prefer a looser fit for this reason, with a cuff fastening.

And, frankly, there's a bit of a 'new aesthetic' thing going on with close-fitting soft shells, especially Arc'teryx, who seem to design them for wedge-shaped superheroes.

There was a very good article about softshell on MEC's website (rennies_softshell.pdf), but they seem to have taken it down. Which is a shame, as it discussed the closer fit:

"The new silhouette. Soft shell garments have a whole new look – typically
slimmer, shorter, more body conscious and athletic (than the hard shell jackets they
will typically replace). Waterproof/breathable hard shells have been around now for
more than 20 years and it’s getting tougher for designers to create a unique new hard
shell look. As hard shell is getting tired, soft shell offers a refreshing alternative and
it’s this new “look” that ultimately will drive the market."

I think it really comes down to personal preference on how close-fitting you like your clothes to be...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...