Snofactor

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 maninblack 24 Oct 2021

Anyone have any info, insider knowledge, plausible theory, as to when or even if the indoor skiing and ice climbing will reopen this year? Is it Scottish government guidance to keep it closed at the moment or a management decision? With covid numbers going up I'm suspecting it may not be anytime soon. 

Thanks in advance, keep safe and well everyone.

K

barbeg 24 Oct 2021
In reply to maninblack:

I think the chances of it ever opening again are somewhere between slim and none....

Someone I know, who may or may not know something about it, described it as "a $#!t show"

Barbeg

OP maninblack 25 Oct 2021
In reply to barbeg:

Oh dear,that's a shame.

Martin W 26 Oct 2021
In reply to maninblack:

Are you looking for more information than that posted on their website, dated 25th September?

https://www.snowfactor.com/2020/03/16/covid-19-precautionary-measures-withi...

Unfortunately, we had a failure in one of the electrical isolators to one of the chillers, this meant we were left operating on one chiller which causes many issues not least being that we couldn’t make any new snow as we require both chillers to be working to be able to do this. With only having the one chiller working there has been a gradual loss of snow cover which will need to be replaced before we can open up again.

Due to the specifications of the isolator, the part has had to be made to order, along with delays in shipment from Germany, had us wait to provide you with an update on this. We have been advised that the part should be with the company carrying out the repair on the 4th or 5th October and it will be fitted by them in the days following the same week.

After the repair has been completed and the systems fully tested we will be able to start the process of making new snow. We will be aiming to start making snow on the week commencing 11th October and this will require about 10 days of snowmaking to get the slope back up to top condition. We’re unable to make this amount of snow on consecutive days so it will take about 2 weeks to get this done.

The aim is to open by the end of October but at present aren’t in a position to guarantee this until the part has arrived, fitted and we have had it tested. After this has been done and we have made new snow if we can open earlier we will advise you of this to let you know the date. We’d like nothing better than to open up as soon as possible. We’re all really keen to get back to work.

Two weeks on from the 11th is the 25th i.e. yesterday.  The end of October is this weekend.  It is certainly disappointing that they haven't posted any progress updates since September, and could suggest that the process of getting back to full operations has been less straightforward than they seemed to hope.

It doesn't sound as if the technical problems should necessarily be insuperable, but I suppose the financial impact on the company of the continuing delay might be another matter.

One might feel that running a giant fridge for entertainment purposes doesn't look great when COP26 is just around the corner - both timewise and geographically...

OP maninblack 27 Oct 2021
In reply to Martin W:

Thanks for that, I missed it when I looked earlier

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...