Ski bags to put everything in

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I find a hold luggage bag and a separate bag with skis in is a pain. So I'm interested in a single bag to check in, that takes skis, boots  and all clothing and other stuff for a piste skiing holiday. I'd take the helmet as carry on.  What do people recommend for this? Dakine ones look good. How does this go down with airlines? I assume they don't accept one massive bag with everything including skis in it as either a standard hold item or as a standard ski bag.

Thanks.

mysterion 23 Dec 2020
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:

SnoKart do modular click together bags

In reply to mysterion:

Cool! Thanks, I'll have a look.

Tallie 23 Dec 2020

I do this (with a large Burton snowboard bag) every time I go and have never had a problem.  I've frequently had my board, boots, my wife's skis, boots and 2 helmets all in one bag and never had an airline (normally easyjet or charter flight) question it.  I've always been careful to ensure I don't exceed the 20Kg weight limit.

TheGeneralist 23 Dec 2020
In reply to Tallie:

We've always taken four sets of skis and poles in one Snow rock roller ski bag.

As the kids' skis have got bigger we've had to take more bits of bindings off to keep it under 20kg, but worked ok when they were 13 &15 last year.

Steve Woollard 23 Dec 2020

Have a look at Douche bags

geckoboy 23 Dec 2020

Probably depends on the airline (and possibly your insurance?). But one year I was told at check in (I forget which airline) that I should only have the snowboard in the board bag and nothing else. Justification being if the bag went missing they would only cover the cost of 1 board or 1 set of skis as that's what it is checked in as. Everything else should be packed in a separate hold bag.

Just may be worth checking with whoever you fly with before packing all in one bag.

galpinos 23 Dec 2020

I have a Dakine roller ski bag. I have previously taken just this and a carry on, though it's tough to get all touring kit and stuff for a week in under the limit.

baron 23 Dec 2020

As galpinos said it’s a struggle to fit a week’s worth of clothing plus skis, poles, boots, etc into a Da Kine high roller bag. Unless you only wear one set of clothes all week!  

As there’s two of us, the wife and I take a high roller bag and a wheeled hold-all type bag between us.

Both sets of skis, poles, one pair of boots and some clothing goes in the high roller, the other pair of boots, most of the clothing and both helmets go in the wheeled hold-all.

Both bags go as normal luggage although some airlines want you to declare the high roller bag as sporting goods due to its length.

There’s no extra charge for this as long as it’s within the usual 20kg weight limit. Although you usually have to take it to another drop off point after you’ve checked in. Still, it’s another queue to join and good practice for standing in a ski lift line.

And carrying your helmet as part of your carry on is a real pet peeve of mine.

If you must do so please ensure that it is able to swing loosely and wildly from your rucksack in order to slap as many fellow passengers in the face as possible. Tying it to the outside of your carry on bag also ensures that valuable overhead locker space is also taken up.   Feel free to ignore the advice/rant about helmets.  

galpinos 23 Dec 2020
In reply to baron:

You can add me to the "finds helmets as carry on baggage very annoying". Some airlines have started banning it.

Re the bags, we do similar for a family holiday, one roller and two holdalls for the four of us. It helps putting some clothes in the roller as it pads it out and protects the skis.

k_os 23 Dec 2020

I've got a Dakine roller bag and everything goes in it, with just a small backpack going in carry on. I've travelled 3 people with 2 ski bags which works, you just have to be more careful with weight and helps if everyone's small! Keep to the baggage limit and you should have no issues

baron 23 Dec 2020
In reply to k_os:

> I've got a Dakine roller bag and everything goes in it, with just a small backpack going in carry on. I've travelled 3 people with 2 ski bags which works, you just have to be more careful with weight and helps if everyone's small! Keep to the baggage limit and you should have no issues

Can you please have a word with my wife and convince her to take less stuff?  😀

anyha 23 Dec 2020

I have a Fish Behemoth Bag, this would probably swallow all your stuff, here is a link httptp://www.fishproducts.com/catalog/luggage.html

In reply to galpinos:

What's the beef with a ski helmet going in a small rucsac as handluggage?

TobyA 24 Dec 2020

I bought one in a massive rush when I realised I hadn't paid for two bags, and a ski bag would count as one (SAS used to let you carry a ski bag for free I think it was). I think it's Atomic and is meant to carry two pairs of skis. It has a zip extender at one end that gives it a bit more volume. It isn't very touch though and despite padding stuff with cardboard and tape, I've needed to gorilla tape lots of little holes in it.

I've found as long as I wear a reasonable amount of clothes on the plane, I can get skis, boots, shovel, crampons, a touring axe, a pair of technical axes, skins and so on, plus clothing for a week into it, along with Crocs, be I always need my crocs. Then I have my 30 ltr pack as hand luggage. Helmet I think I've just clipped to the outside of my hand luggage - but that's a light Petzl meteor, not a big ski helmet. I've carried helmets attached to hand luggage for decades, never been a problem. My mate had his brand new Meteor crushed in his hold baggage on his first flight and had to buy a replacement, IIRC, in rush in Switzerland before doing a skimo race.

baron 24 Dec 2020
In reply to TobyA:

> I've carried helmets attached to hand luggage for decades, never been a problem.

That’s like the guy who’s been driving for years and never had an accident ............................but he’s caused quite a few!  😀

robhorton 24 Dec 2020

I've got an Ellis Brigham double roller ski bag. For a touring trip I can get everything in it (with fragile things in hand luggage) but it would be a bit tight for a week of piste skiing. If I'm going with my wife we normally put both skis in one bag and pad it out with clothes and take one case between us - I've only done that going by train though so it might be over the weight limit flying.

Kimberley 26 Dec 2020

I can get all my gear for a weeks touring in a double ski bag but got rid of the Dakine one since it weighed nearly 5kg empty. The Ellis Brigham one works well but I now have a snowboard bag which is not heavy and works well but my skis are only 170. As always its a compromise.....

earlsdonwhu 26 Dec 2020

I know sometimes that fat roller bags are seen as a nuisance for transfer drivers as harder to shove them under seats.

Morgan Woods 26 Dec 2020

I have the Dakine roller and really like it for pair of fat skis, poles boots, etc but it won't work with every airline, Japanese domestic flights being the notable exception.

munro90 27 Dec 2020

Did a week of touring last year with a ski bag and a holdall between two (and touring sacks as carry-ons). Was a bit tight but my boots & skis are both quiver-killers so if I had a lighter pure touring set it would have been fine. Also could have got away with fewer clothes, both on and off skis.

In reply to Steve Woollard and nickinscottishmountains:

I've also got one of these.  Overall decent option.  Advantages are that it rolls up really neatly for storage, wheels well when loaded and carries a good amount of kit (fine to take all ski/technical kit and clothing for a week of ski touring).  Main disadvantage is that it seems not to be very hard-wearing. 

Info here:  https://douchebags.com/the-douchebag-black-out  

Oo 29 Dec 2020

I’ve got a Douchebag. It’s done many trips, been treated poorly and is still going strong. It is my only hold bag and takes full touring kit in it, then day sack as a carry on with very little in. It does service as the trolley when mates have a shoulder sling bag, it just sits on top. If I travel with the wife  then two sets of hardware go in douchebag and we take an extra duffel; duffel sits on foot of douchebag for easy rolling.

Never had a problem using ski bag as a normal piece of checked luggage. Long haul never bat an eyelid; sometimes short haul look a bit confused but they’re used to it now.  Minibus shuttle drivers don’t like them as they’re awkward; but with a firm shove and Gallic grunt they always go in.

If I needed a second, I’d just buy a douchebag again and wouldn’t bother shopping around.

mysterion 30 Dec 2020
In reply to Oo:

> I’ve got a Douchebag

The name though, it's not even funny the first time

Toccata 30 Dec 2020

If you’re flying budget airlines look into getting all your kit couriered. Five suitcases and 5 sets of skis (inc helmets), one snowboard and one set of snow blades cost £45 in both directions. They were waiting in the chalet when we arrived and collected on the Saturday morning prior to departure. Would have been nearly £250 on EasyJet.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...