Quickly securing collapsible ski poles

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Starky 06 Dec 2020

I use a pair of BCA Scepter 4S poles - https://backcountryaccess.com/en-gb/p/scepter-4s-poles-19-20

The baskets have cut-outs that are supposed to hold the poles together when collapsed. They are a bit crap though and don't really work.

I'm a splitboarder so I'll often collapse the poles and attach them to my backpack while transitioning. I don't want bits of pole flapping about while I'm riding so it annoys me that it's not easier to secure them together.

If I'm with a slower group then I'll use a ski strap on each pole to hold them together but this is an annoying bit of extra faff! There must be a better to solution that I'm too dim to have thought of...

JohnV 06 Dec 2020
In reply to Starky:

Put them inside your pack?

OP Starky 06 Dec 2020
In reply to JohnV:

I use an Osprey Kestrel 38 (https://www.ospreyeurope.com/shop/gb_en/kestrel-38-2019) when I'm touring and it's a bit of faff to open it up and try to fit my poles inside. Maybe my choice of backpack isn't great, I've been avoiding buying a touring-specific pack so far.

HeMa 06 Dec 2020
In reply to Starky:

Bungee-cord on a loop though the wristloop and perhaps a cinch-lock. Cinch-lock not needed if you size the loops properly. 

fenski 06 Dec 2020
In reply to Starky:

My BD poles come with a velcro strap which fixes both poles together nicely. Then I just strap them to the back of my pack whilst riding down, making sure that the strap goes through the wrist loop of each pole, just in case they accidentally get dislodged on the way down. 

Tim Davies 06 Dec 2020
In reply to Starky:

black diamond do a really good rubberised ski strap- good for poles as well because it’s springy. 
or get compact poles to go inside the pack - often a neat way of doing it 

OP Starky 06 Dec 2020

After rummaging through all my gear I found a couple of ice axe loops on a backpack that I would never use in winter. I was able to remove them and attach them to the poles. I think it's a good solution for now!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/yJmnCHWCqhfrs6SB6

Webster 06 Dec 2020
In reply to Starky:

isnt the whole point of those foldy pole types that they easily fit in a pack? if you dont have room in the pack, then... get a bigger pack!

OP Starky 06 Dec 2020
In reply to Webster:

They fit really nicely onto the outside of my pack as long as they hold together. I like being able to transition without having to open my pack but maybe I just need something with easier access!

nniff 07 Dec 2020
In reply to Starky:

A short length of shock/bungee cord and a spring toggle around each pole above the basket.  Ease off the toggle, stretch it over the other sides of the pole, tighten up.  Leave it snug up against the basket when not in use

rogersavery 07 Dec 2020
In reply to Starky:

"There must be a better to solution that I'm too dim to have thought of...'

learn to ski

Post edited at 13:04
OP Starky 07 Dec 2020
In reply to rogersavery:

Who says I can't ski?!

Post edited at 13:08
 rogersavery 07 Dec 2020
In reply to Starky:

You did when you said you splitboarded. I can't think of any other reason for splitboarding other that you can't ski!

OP Starky 07 Dec 2020
In reply to rogersavery:

Sorry I have no interest in a dull skiing vs snowboarding debate. 

Webster 07 Dec 2020
In reply to Starky:

> I like being able to transition without having to open my pack but maybe I just need something with easier access!

what do you do with your skins?

OwenM 07 Dec 2020
In reply to Webster:

Stick them down your jumper.

Webster 07 Dec 2020
In reply to rogersavery:

amen! i am equally skilled at both, but cant think of any reason why someone who can ski would choose to split board, its the worst of both worlds! i know so many snowboarders who try splitboarding and very quickly learn to ski instead!

Webster 07 Dec 2020
In reply to OwenM:

i dont see how that saves any time or effort over putting them in your bag, plus you have the discomfort of them digging into you. but each to their own.

Carless 07 Dec 2020
In reply to OwenM:

A mate lost a skin using that technique. Could have been a real pain but luckily snow was ok for him to walk up

OP Starky 07 Dec 2020
In reply to Carless:

Some jackets like the Rab Sharp Edge had inside pockets for popping skins in. I heard it was pretty handy and could be useful to prevent your skins from getting frozen up on the coldest days.  I've never tried it myself though and the new Rab Khroma jacket seems to have ditched the idea. Not that I have £500 to spend on it anyway!

FATBOYFAT 11 Dec 2020
In reply to Webster:

IMO it's mostly about keeping the glue warm and the skin pliable enough to reattach well.  I've had mine freeze in the (external) skin pouch of my old osprey pack but they've always been fine in my winter climbing pack, where I keep them in a sleeve pocket against my back. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...