Yukon Arctic Ultra

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Only a Crag 06 Feb 2022

Kevin Leahy from Ireland out in front (in the on foot category)  in the 300 mile Yukon Arctic Ultra. 113 miles in after 2 days 3 hours. 

https://arcticultra.de/live-tracking-2022/

The Montane Yukon Arctic Ultra follows the Yukon Quest trail, due to the very difficult conditions caused by the extreme coldness in the Yukon in January and February, the nature of the trail and the distance to be covered by the athletes the MYAU is possibly the toughest ultra race in the world.

Nick Griffiths in 2018 lost three toes to frost bite during the race and subsequently donated them to the Downtown Hotel in Yukon where the mummified toes are used to make the famous Sourtoe cocktail, mummified toe is dropped into a shot of whiskey, like an orange peel in an Old-Fashioned.

https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/news/a28063583/british-ultra-runner-donates....

mountainbagger 06 Feb 2022
In reply to Only a Crag:

Thanks for the informative (but disgusting) heads up! Or toes down. Or something.

OP Only a Crag 07 Feb 2022
In reply to mountainbagger:

Iv sorted you out for pub quizzes now. temps in Yukon only -15 c at the moment, balmy. Looks like the fresh toe drought will continue 

Peter Walker 07 Feb 2022
In reply to Only a Crag:

Kevin is a splendid lad who serves an excellent hot chocolate at his place in Killarney. And quietly as hard as nails.

dread-i 07 Feb 2022
In reply to Only a Crag:

<slightly off topic>

If you're interested in similar races, there is a film on Amazon called 'Safety to Nome'. 1000 mile race in Alaska, in Feb on foot, ski or fat bike.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/video/detail/B089V2FSKK/ref=atv_dp_share_cu_r

mountainbagger 07 Feb 2022
In reply to Only a Crag:

> Iv sorted you out for pub quizzes now. temps in Yukon only -15 c at the moment, balmy. Looks like the fresh toe drought will continue 

😬

I can't work the tracking out but it looks like Jessie Gladdish is leading overall not Kevin Leahy or am I missing something?

In reply to Only a Crag:

>113 miles in after 2 days 3 hours. 

That's so fast it's hard to comprehend. He's basically doing an expedition every day. 

OP Only a Crag 07 Feb 2022
In reply to mountainbagger:

Yes but she's on a fat bike ( along with 1 other)  so in a different category to those walking and pulling pulks. He's perhaps going to catch her though, hard as nails indeed. 300 miles in mid winter yukon 

Ridge 08 Feb 2022
In reply to dread-i:

> <slightly off topic>

> If you're interested in similar races, there is a film on Amazon called 'Safety to Nome'. 1000 mile race in Alaska, in Feb on foot, ski or fat bike.

<Slightly further off topic>

A darker take on the Iditarod, the original 1000 mile Anchorage to Nome  race by dog sled, which illustrates the impact of obsession with the race and how tough it can be living in Alaska.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/video/detail/B073XW5BW7/ref=atv_dp_share_cu_r

mountainbagger 08 Feb 2022
In reply to Only a Crag:

> Yes but she's on a fat bike ( along with 1 other)  so in a different category to those walking and pulling pulks. He's perhaps going to catch her though, hard as nails indeed. 300 miles in mid winter yukon 

Aha, thanks, yes insane...I can't imagine what it's like.

dovebiker 08 Feb 2022

Relatively mild temperatures this year (last year was -30C and below and they had to ‘hold’ participants as the support crew snowmobiles couldn’t work reliably). Fresh snow means that even on a fat bike, you can be pushing a lot. Very strict frostbite protocols on these events means competitors get withdrawn for even ‘mild’ signs - I know someone who only lasted 12 hours one year.

George Ormerod 09 Feb 2022
In reply to dread-i:

> <slightly off topic>

> If you're interested in similar races, there is a film on Amazon called 'Safety to Nome'. 1000 mile race in Alaska, in Feb on foot, ski or fat bike.

Superb.  I particularly liked Tim, the ten times finisher on foot, who wanted to do it on a bike one time despite minimal experience.  Got to then end of the 1000 miles and was asked if he liked the biking:  "no. I hated it".

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...