UTMB races are coming up fast!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Wonrek 31 Jul 2018

Is anyone else going out to Cham for the UTMB races? If so which ones? This will be my third time there and I'm so excited (I think I just weed a little

My excitement is that I'm going to do the PTL this time and I'm absolutely bricking it too!

yorkshireman 31 Jul 2018
In reply to Wonrek:

My second time there as a competitor (I did CCC last year) and will be doing TDS this year.

I'm looking forward to it although if it stays as hot (or even close) as its been all summer then I'll be in serious trouble. The weather was chilly (we even had some snow through the night) on the CCC last year so heat stroke wasn't a problem.

Good luck on the PTL - that's a serious undertaking

OP Wonrek 31 Jul 2018
In reply to yorkshireman:

I did the TDS last year, I really enjoyed it. The terrain is more technical that UTMB, the trails are less groomed and you get more of a sense of being 'out there' I've never done the CCC but have done UTMB which uses the same route, yes I much preferred the TDS route. It was be considered by some as the 'poor relation' of UTMB but I personally thought it was a much better race

Weather wise, I was there at the beginning of July and it was hotter than hell with serious thunderstorms. So pretty much like here then! Yes the heat can be an issue but I think this year we've had a better chance to prepare with the temperatures having been so hot lately.

yorkshireman 31 Jul 2018
In reply to Wonrek:

> The [TDS] terrain is more technical that UTMB, the trails are less groomed and you get more of a sense of being 'out there' 

I've heard this a lot. I'm really looking forward to it for those reasons, although UTMB is on my bucket list (if I finish the TDS I've got more than enough points for entry). A friend of mine really likes the Echapée Belle (he's DNF'd twice and is trying again this year) for the same reason and that's on my list too.

> Weather wise, I was there at the beginning of July and it was hotter than hell with serious thunderstorms. So pretty much like here then! Yes the heat can be an issue but I think this year we've had a better chance to prepare with the temperatures having been so hot lately.

I live in the Alps already so am pretty used to the heat but for some reason always struggle when its in the 30s on ultra distance although I suppose it's hardly surprising.

OP Wonrek 01 Aug 2018
In reply to yorkshireman:

I'm glad I did UTMB first and saved the TDS as something to look forward to. It's often considered the poor relation because it's not the big name but I'd compare UTMB to the London Marathon on trail. Being stuck in a long queue for most of the race. Unless you were really forecful and prepared to barge past lots of other runners then you took your place in the queue and accepted that was what it was. Getting in and out of CPs swiftly got you to a different place in the queue but I can only remember a couple of occasions where I had any sense of space on that race. I really didn't enjoy it much as you can tell!

The weather was a killer the year I did it too, I remember coming up out of Cormayeur and every step was a real battle. When I got to the CP at Refuge Bertone my heart rate was so high I really started to worry! I laid down in the shade of a hut and stayed there until my core body temp had lowered. Not a pleasent experience!

Last year the weather started like that but then turned to heavy rain which cooled things down a bit but turned the trails to rivers of slippy mud. I had to laugh when a group were on my shoulder following me down the last descent, when I offered to let them past they said no, they were following me because I knew where to step to stay upright. I replied 'of course I do, I'm British, we always run in the mud!' That certainly lightened the mood!

yorkshireman 25 Aug 2018
In reply to Wonrek:

Well the good news is that it doesn't look like there'll be a heatwave this year.

https://www.lachainemeteo.com/meteo-france/ville-12454/previsions-meteo-cha...

I'm 100km south of Chamonix but the weather distinctly changed yesterday - cold wind and cool conditions which I'm thankful for. I just hope it doesn't rain too much as the trail was a muddy quagmire when I did the CCC last year and since the TDS is on more technical trails I can only assume the effect of too much rain is even worse.

Hope everyone going out there is tapering well and is rested and eager to get going. I'm pretty excited now and can't wait to just get stuck in.

mbh 25 Aug 2018
In reply to Wonrek and yorkshireman:

Good luck to you both!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...