Upgrading forerunner 15

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Shaunhaynes99 16 Sep 2019

Brought a 2nd hand cheap forerunner 15 to see if like it and I'm big fan.  But having to  upload it via laptop is s bit of  faff do looking to upgrade to something that has these features: 

Sync to phone  app via bluetooth 

Track multi activity ie walk cycle run

3 metric on one screen  (  pace time distance) 

I'm not fussed  about heart rate. Or phone notifications. 

So far I  think the 25 or 35 will have what I need but there is only so much info i can get from YouTube. I think anything above the 235 is more then I really need and would be spending more then I need to

SouthernSteve 16 Sep 2019
In reply to Shaunhaynes99:

The 235 is a good watch and is available more cheaply as the ones have come in and is more compact than the 35. Battery life might be another consideration if you want to record a longer event. The rule of limited returns definitely works with these watches - you pay disproportionally more for a few extra features as the watches get more expensive – you pays your money etc...  

PS for very good reviews see: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-reviews/garmin

Post edited at 06:24
 Luke90 16 Sep 2019

I've just done almost exactly the same thing. Bought a second hand 15, partly as a cheap way to find out whether I actually use and value having a GPS watch, but found syncing a bit of a faff and its degraded battery a bit lacking for longer days. Apart from that, the 15 had all I really needed so I didn't want to pay for much of a step up.

I chose the 35 on the basis that it has really long battery life and although I'm not that fussed about heart rate (certainly not going to bother with a chest strap) it might occasionally be interesting. It also has exactly the same buttons and logic as the 15 so it's an easy transition. I have really narrow wrists but it fits comfortably and doesn't look ridiculously big. Let me know if you have any specific questions about it that reviews haven't covered.

OP Shaunhaynes99 16 Sep 2019
In reply to Luke90:

Yes If it wasnt for the  syncing issue I would stick with the 15 as I could deal with 2 metric display and save the 100 quid. 

If you could just confirm if have got the multi  sport and the  fact it has 3 metrics on one screen that would be great. 

There is only about £20 difference  with the 25 and 35  and I think 35 may have more useable features for me. 

Can I add gear in the app too?

Post edited at 07:24
 Luke90 16 Sep 2019

>  If you could just confirm if have got the multi  sport and the  fact it has 3 metrics on one screen that would be great.

Yes, definitely 3 metrics per screen and, unlike the 15, you can have more than one of average pace, lap pace or current pace.

When I start, I can choose from run outdoors, run indoors, bike, cardio or walk.

> Can I add gear in the app too?

I don't think that's tied to particular devices, just a general feature of the app.

OP Shaunhaynes99 16 Sep 2019
In reply to Luke90:

Thanks pal.   Think I'll be getting the 35 then.  I cant see me needing much more battery then the 13hours tracking  this in features. 

Post edited at 08:17
Roadrunner6 16 Sep 2019

The 35 is brilliant for its price. It's all I use. I'd love to spend more but can't justify it and the 35 gives me all the data and a good battery life. All the other data is great but we don't really need it, I certainly don't use it. 

A friend has given me an old 910 which works for about 20 hours for occasional big days but for almost every run the 35 is plenty.

OP Shaunhaynes99 19 Sep 2019
In reply to Roadrunner6:

I definitely do  not need all the extra information and quite frankly i rather spend as little as possible.. I wont be doing mega  distance 50k runs max   which I should  can in 5 hours max.  

It just the extra  what that the 35 has the 3 metric  and it can be used for cycling and the music control  for when I  run with headphone. which is making it worth that extra 20 quid. 

Post edited at 15:02

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...