tight calves

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Potato 28 Mar 2017
hello fellow runners - can you offer me advice on tight calf muscles please?

Im not a fan of stretching, either dynamic or static, always seem to cause me more issues, so I generally warm up gradually before a run and most days use a foam roller on the affected areas.
Ive trained myself to midfoot strike and this has eliminated pretty much all niggles with knees and ITB. Ive been running for years and do vary my distance, pace, shoes, terrain, but one thing thats fairly constant is left calf muscle pain.
 tony 28 Mar 2017
In reply to The Potato:

Have you tried compression socks or calf guards? I know the science purported to support their use can sound a bit dodgy, but I've been using calf guards for a few years and my calf problems are nowhere near as serious as they used to be.

And, tight calves can be a sign of issues elsewhere. In my case, it's been lack of flexibility in the hips and pelvis, and exercises to strengthen and stretch have helped. A good physio or massage therapist should be able to identify areas of inflexibility and provide suitable exercises to help. A monthly session with a massage therapist is a good thing in its own right.
 stubbed 28 Mar 2017
In reply to The Potato:

Not a fan of stretching either but I have found yoga has really helped my running
OP The Potato 28 Mar 2017
In reply to tony:

I wear compression socks after a long event, usually overnight and that seems to help aid recovery.
I shall explore my range of movement, Im fairly flexible from the waist down.

In reply to stubbed:

that sounds useful - any particular style, do you do at home or attend a class?
 stubbed 28 Mar 2017
In reply to The Potato:

There is an app called 'yoga studio' that I really recommend for £2.99.
I have used it several times a week for 6 months and after 3 months I touched my toes for the first time in 15 years.
You can choose beginner / intermediate / advanced and strength / relax / flexibility and there is also special sessions for runners and back pain.
I really like it, not least because the sessions start at 10 or 15 minutes so you can easily fit them in daily.
 wbo 28 Mar 2017
In reply to The Potato: well you're tight, have weak muscles or an imbalance, or weak biomechanics in that are so pick the combination that fits and go from there.

Ste Brom 30 Mar 2017
In reply to The Potato:

Always had calf problems until I incorporated a daily (or at least 5 times a week) set of eccentric calf drops (15 per foot) off a box. Only takes a minute or two, and was pain free after 6 weeks.

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/rehabilitation-exercises/lower-leg-ankle-...

This alleviated any pain, then to make sure, 50 - 100 calf raises, 3 times a week.
I now have finer calves than a Texas rancher.

Usual caveats apply, one mans meat etc. etc.
OP The Potato 30 Mar 2017
In reply to Ste Brom:

in addition to yoga for runners, ill give these a go, my calves are pretty strong, but no harm in trying this manouver.
 BusyLizzie 02 Apr 2017
In reply to Ste Brom:

And another vote for eccentric calf exercises. I ran 13 miles yesterday - glorious run along the Thames in the spring sunshine! - and that sort of distance normally causes two or three days of very stuff calves, but have been doing these exercises for the alst few days and this morning my calves are perfectly happy. Very surprised!
OP The Potato 22 May 2017
In reply to The Potato:

so as an update, Ive been doing the eccentric calf exercises which did help a little but still not enough.
I came across Magnesium Spray oil in Holland and Barrett, pretty much the next day after using it my muscles felt better, couple of days later they felt more relaxed than I can remember. Ill keep updating once ive got out for some longer runs again, Ive been cycling more recently (lakeland 200 ride this past weekend and no cramping anywhere).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...