SlieveCommedagh-Donardpark descent- fastest line

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PaulTclimbing 24 Apr 2019

Hi, does anyone know the fastest running line from Commedagh summit to Donard park, Newcastle. Its possible that you stay high ( going North East) and keep the corrie on your right and run down the spur (which looks like there could be navigation errors in poor weather? is there a track?) or do you go towards slieve donard (ie south east) down to the col and then follow the river down. looks like there may be a path. I'm after the best racing line really. Anyone with local knowledge. I'm not a good fell runner.

DaveHK 24 Apr 2019
In reply to PaulTclimbing:

Try looking at the Strava Heatmap.  https://www.strava.com/heatmap#5.00/-7.51938/54.21547/hot/run

Post edited at 09:51
 Mick Ward 24 Apr 2019
In reply to PaulTclimbing:

(Caveat: Am not a fell runner!)

Would think it depends on the weather. There's a lovely spur which gets you from the top of Commedagh to a long way down the Glen river valley. Go across and join the track by the river. It's a great walk. However I've only ever walked it and don't know what it would be like to run (i.e. how uneven it would be). Would not advise this at all in poor visibility - there's a corrie on each side!  (Though there may be a track now? It's decades since I've been.)

The default option is definitely to run down to the Donard/Commedagh col and down by the track, i.e. Glen river valley. In poor visibility, this would be your safe bet.

I used to climb with a guy called Denis Rankin, who sadly died running in the Mournes (his heart gave out). I think there's a memorial run to him now. He was in a local fell-running club who were very keen. If you had a google around, you'd probably find them and they'd give you expert knowledge.

Always loved Commedagh ('mountain of the watching'). Enjoy your run.

Mick

OP PaulTclimbing 24 Apr 2019
In reply to Mick Ward:

Thanks Mick Ward, yes I ve seen the name of the Rankin Round. Ive never been to the Mourne mts and they look 'steep and hilly', hopefully not too punishing. Thanks for the advice as both those routes correspond to the ones I was thinking. I try my hand at fellrunning and a run on the mountain of the watching is sure to be an experience.

Post edited at 14:13
OP PaulTclimbing 24 Apr 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

Thanks for that. Didn't know it existed as I'm not a strava user. Maybe sometime in the future. I couldn't quite get to the depth of coverage needed so I guess I will find out on the day. but I'm inclined to play safe and go to the  col at present.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...