Pole carry, belt Vs quiver

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 glenn0010 06 Jun 2023

Hi all what pole carry do you use?

I find it faffy and in the way to stick it on the front of the vest

Do any of you use a running belt in addition to a vest for carrying poles? What model do you use, is it easy to put them in the belt or is it stil faffy?

What about quivers? Any good

Cheers 

In reply to glenn0010:

On my Salomon vest you can move the elastic keepers around to different places. I find having poles strapped horizontally to the bottom of the vest on my back works well enough. Out of the way but easy enough to slip in and out of the straps. 

OP glenn0010 06 Jun 2023
In reply to Stuart Williams:

I have an ADV skin aswell, I'll try sticking the on the back see how I do.

Cheers

timjones 06 Jun 2023
In reply to glenn0010:

I use a naked running belt to carry poles on the back, valuables and snacks in the stretch pockets and to attach my race number too.

It's great as long as I don't want to stow my poles too frequently but I've just ordered a quiver to give it a try.

yorkshireman 07 Jun 2023
In reply to glenn0010:

I find the 'under the armpit' placement on the Salomon vest the best balance between being in the way and convenience.

I've got a UD race belt with straps on the back for poles - https://www.ekosport.fr/ultimate-direction-utility-belt-onyx-21-p-V00205780.... Works OK but not being able to easily see where you're putting them always makes me worry I'm going to lose one. I tend to use it for everyday short runs to stash phone and keys.

CaelanB 07 Jun 2023
In reply to glenn0010:

I own and have used the quiver. In my experience they're a faff and not really worth getting.

What I'd visualised when buying it was that I'd be able to seamlessly draw and return my poles like some sort of running samurai, unsheathing their sword.

Unfortunately, what happens instead is that the poles, and especially their baskets, get caught in the quiver and refuse to come out. They're similarly stubborn when trying to put them back in. Often I just find myself removing my pack to save myself a frustrating struggle trying to get the poles out of/into the quiver.

I'd recommend most alternatives over the quiver. It's a nice idea, but I've found that it doesn't work.

steveej 07 Jun 2023
In reply to glenn0010:

I like my quiver once I got use to it - it is by far the most secure method of stowing, which is most useful on scrambly terrain.

I put the pole handles in first and use leki trigger shark poles so there is no strap on the handle when you stow them.

The trick is to pull the shoulder strap of the vest up and forward a bit so the hole is within easier reach when stowing them.  Once you get the knack, it is quick and easy.

Never got on with a belt or any of the insitu elastics on the vest itself.  Poles would fall out on a regular basis to such an extend I would just carry the poles for the entirety of the race.

Dark-Cloud 07 Jun 2023
In reply to glenn0010:

I bought the quiver for the Salomon Adv Skin pack, works really well, i find they bounce around on the standard elastics

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...