Nah, I wont bother tonight

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Well, I had planned to do a cheeky 10 miler tonight to keep my miles up but looking outside, its dark, windy and lashing it down.  Ill have to ensure that my miles are done in a smaller window.

I really love running but i just wont do it when its windy and raining.  Wind is fine (up to a point), cold is fine (as long as there is traction) but running when its windy and pissing down is no fun for me.

What is the point where you just say to yourself, "feck that, I'm cracking a brewski and lighting a fire, instead"?

Shani 27 Nov 2018
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

...but think how awesome it'll feel if you crack open a beer in front of a fire having done the run....

toad 27 Nov 2018

Still had to take the git-dogs out, regardless of the weather. I'm prepared to do a straight swap for a guinea pig or a goldish

Rampikino 27 Nov 2018

I actually quite like the “backs to the wall me against the elements” running.

Get out there!

Ridge 27 Nov 2018

I'm having that same debate. However mental toughness is as important as physical fitness, so I'm probably going to head out.

elsewhere 27 Nov 2018

It will be nice and dry (honest) within 60-120 minutes.

https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar

There's a very distinct band of rain but then it looks OK.

You bastards!!!!!

Jon Greengrass 27 Nov 2018

when its dark, I blame Dog Soldiers

Timmd 27 Nov 2018
In reply to Ridge:

> I'm having that same debate. However mental toughness is as important as physical fitness, so I'm probably going to head out.

Yes it is.

Edit: It's more important. 

Post edited at 16:28
 Ridge 27 Nov 2018
In reply to Jon Greengrass:

> when its dark, I blame Dog Soldiers

Try running round Whinlatter in the dark, especially at 'that time of the month'..

Gone for good 27 Nov 2018

Keep telling yourself a rest is as good as a run! Worked for me last night when I skipped track training!

Ridge 27 Nov 2018

Also don't forget we know your Stava name.

We'll be watching...

Flinticus 27 Nov 2018

Facing a similar quandary over cycling to the climbing centre, made worse by having been there yesterday and Sunday so the 'rest day' argument seems valid...

DaveHK 27 Nov 2018

Beautiful here just about to do a cheeky wee 10k on my way home.

David Riley 27 Nov 2018

> i just wont do it when its windy and raining. 

Me too. But Bakewell cross country, Sunday. So I should hit the mean streets of Long Eaton for a few miles.

Arrived 7 minutes after the start last year (a mile behind).  I'd like to do better this time.

krikoman 27 Nov 2018

> What is the point where you just say to yourself, "feck that, I'm cracking a brewski and lighting a fire, instead"?

When it's either too dark, or too light, or anywhere in between.

In reply to DaveHK:

Yep, came out lovely in Pembrokeshire around lunchtime after a horribly wet and windy morning.

Wainers44 27 Nov 2018

Woke at 0530 this morning to go for a run. Lashing it down and blowing a gale here already so couldnt peel my head off the pillow...!

Dry now so off out in a bit, but its going to be nicely soft underfoot! 

mbh 27 Nov 2018

If it's windy and raining but not too cold then it's easier. If, even knowing the temperature, it still looks really grim, it's easier too to get out if you just do laps of a short route, like I did this morning. You tell yourself that you can give up at any time and be back in the dry in a jiffy. Whenever I've done that, like today, I have managed to push on for a decent while.

I was hoping to be half way around by now but its peeing down, the fire is on and the Jack Hammer is cold......

mbh 27 Nov 2018

Always much tougher if you leave it until the end of the day, I find. I was going to go out tonight too, but the house is warm, there's a bottle of something red in the kitchen...

hokkyokusei 27 Nov 2018

I'm similar. I'm ok if it starts raining while I'm out, but if it's already raining - sod that!

Michael Hood 27 Nov 2018
In reply to hokkyokusei:

Me too

yorkshireman 27 Nov 2018

To the best of my knowledge none of us are upsetting high profile sponsors by not training to our maximum so don't beat yourself up - sometimes you need a break mentally as much as anything and for most runners this is the time of year to take it a bit easier.

That said, I had the same issue all day - I don't mind outright cold, but it's been around zero, with 75kph gusts and a windchill of -10 and that's what really stopped me going out all day. Snow on the ground and a really low cloud ceiling just make it feel cold to your bones. I finally dragged myself out during the last hour of daylight in a 'something is better than nothing' attitude but then I've got a race lined up in a couple of weeks and so I've got a bit of motivation going there.

Moley 27 Nov 2018
In reply to toad:

> Still had to take the git-dogs out, regardless of the weather. I'm prepared to do a straight swap for a guinea pig or a goldish

Our tortoises are hibernating, no need for long fast runs over the hills in my winter!

the sheep 27 Nov 2018
In reply to yorkshireman:

Got a nice run in yesterday so more than happy to claim today as a rest day from running, as a bonus clocked 2km in the pool at lunchtime and lounged in the steam room so can still feel good whilst having a G&T

bouldery bits 27 Nov 2018

Am I weird in that I love a run when it's grim out? I like being in the elements. My mileage shoots up when it snows!

Padraig 27 Nov 2018

I'm guessing you did go out.....if it was a 10 miler ..

you are a runner not a jogger...

Am I wrong?

I've the same dilemmas and had the BEST runs in the  worst conditions..

Dave the Rave 27 Nov 2018

Hope it’s a shandy that you had?

DaveHK 27 Nov 2018

Being out in the rain isn't a problem it's going out in the rain that's the problem.

Ridge 27 Nov 2018

Well, thats a 7 miler in the bag

John Kelly 27 Nov 2018
In reply to Ridge:

Starting to drying out nicely after 1/2 hr on bike, feeling best i have all day.

David Riley 27 Nov 2018

It was dry apart from the puddles. Massive turn out from the running club tonight.

mbh 27 Nov 2018
In reply to DaveHK:

Funny isn't it? Never mind it raining out there, I find that motivation can turn off in an instant. I've had that happen a few times over the years. One moment you are turning in the runs, day after day. Somehow you do it, even though almost every one takes an effort to actually get out and do, but then the next moment, even the slightest run seems too much to contemplate. Before you know it, you haven't been running for a few days, you get out of the habit, you cease to look at Strava (or engage with whatever else it is that motivates you), you put on weight and you are out of it. 

The trigger can be an injury, something at work, or just a change of routine. 

I had this in the last couple of weeks while my wife was away. Seeing the signs though, I've just about got going again using the mantra 'However crap, (and however crap the weather), get out there!'

Jack Frost 27 Nov 2018

You lightweights need to sign up for the Marcothon. Every day in December, 3miles or 25mins minimum. No days off. Currently contemplating my 4th consecutive year...

There’s also a Strava group for it.

Post edited at 21:18
 Pete Pozman 27 Nov 2018

Not up for the OMM then  

SouthernSteve 27 Nov 2018

I've been out, once your legs are really wet its 'fine'!

Wearing shorts is key and I have some waterproof shorts for long runs which makes for a more comfortable crotch.

However in the mist I did get a bit lost in the woods embarrassingly! 

girlymonkey 27 Nov 2018

I only really run when I am doing canicross. The dog's exuberance at getting to run is really the only enjoyable thing about running for me, and he is as overly delighted whether the weather is gash or not! So get a really excitable dog and your motivation to run in the rain will wag it's tail at you

Timmd 28 Nov 2018
In reply to Moley:

> Our tortoises are hibernating, no need for long fast runs over the hills in my winter!

Fast tortoises.

descender8 28 Nov 2018

The weather don't need to be bad to stop me - 

Running is a no no whatever the weather????

In reply to DaveHK:

> Being out in the rain isn't a problem it's going out in the rain that's the problem.

This, most definitely.

wbo 28 Nov 2018

Wind or hail, rain or shine, 

Real men run and never whine

Or something like that, from the start of 'How to become a champion' by the great Percy Cerutty

bouldery bits 16 Dec 2018

Forced myself out today in the torrential rain, wearing a coat, thinking, 'I'll just nip out quick, at least I'll have done something' ended up running my fastest ever 10k!

Not a distance I normally run but chuffed all the same!

So well worth getting out even when the weather is foul and you don't feel like it.

It means you can brag on the internet  

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...