Manchester: Trail running routes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 waterfall 01 Jun 2021

Hi everyone

I'm looking for some advice on near by trail running routes, within 30 minutes drive ideally so I can nip there after work

I live in Stretford, South Manc and typically go on the trails around Transpennie, local canals etc

I know the Peaks is on the doorstep, however it's typically an hours drive which is a little too far with home commitments etc

Any help massively appreciated!  or any books that anyone is aware which may help.  

thanks

Kryank 01 Jun 2021
In reply to waterfall:

Hi mate,

have you been to the Chew valley? Head for dove stones res near greenfield, think that’s about 30 mins away for you.

Neil Williams 01 Jun 2021
In reply to waterfall:

Out towards Marple is still beautiful countryside but not quite as far as the Peak proper.

The New NickB 01 Jun 2021
In reply to Kryank:

Greenfield will actually take longer to get to than Glossop from Stretford. The problem is, in theory lots of great places to run trails are within or just outside half an hour, but that relies on the M60 gods being in a good mood. That includes big stretches of the West Pennines, with places like Norden, Birtle, Tottington or Bromley Cross being theoretically within half an hour.

Levy_danny 02 Jun 2021
In reply to waterfall:

closer to you but quite good is reddish vale park in Stockport. Some good trails with a few smallish but quite steep hills which can be linked up into 10-15km routes. You can also link it up with other parks along the tame and make longer runs.

bit further but not quite as far as Greenfield you can do some quite good routes out from stalybridge or from the reservoirs over there. If you’re familiar with Hobson moor quarry from climbing you can park in the same spots and make up some routes from there the hill is called wild bank. This can be linked with Alphin pike and dove stones for longer runs.

Another option which can be done in probably between 30 and 40 minute is Lyme park which has some really good trail running.

as mentioned above though if the M60 is rubbish then it will be double the 30 minutes, I find that if you arrange to meet for the run at 7 or 7.30 rather than straight from work the traffic much better.

Give me a shout if you want me to show you any of the routes. 

In reply to waterfall:

How long does it take you to get to Rivington/Anglezarke?

galpinos 02 Jun 2021
In reply to waterfall:

Traffic wise, the A555 is the most consistent after work heading to the Peak, I live within a couple of miles of you probably! You could be in Disley in about 30mins which gives access to Lyme Park and then there's Chinley Churn etc a bit further on. It's only 40/45 minutes to Hayfield which gives you Lantern Pike, Mount Famine and all of Kinder to have a crack at.

Unfortunately, Bolton area or Chew Valley are dependant on the M60 which can be a total s**tshow of an evening. Might be fine but who knows. Getting to BMC North West Area meetings was always a pretty stressful affair if I didn't leave work early!

galpinos 02 Jun 2021
In reply to Longsufferingropeholder:

Between 45mins to 1.5hrs........ It's dictated by J15 of the M60.

steveriley 02 Jun 2021
In reply to waterfall:

You could look up the Boars Head race route if you want a pre-planned route? Poynton side of Lyme Park.

mrphilipoldham 02 Jun 2021
In reply to waterfall:

How long would it take you to get to Edenfield / Ramsbottom? Right off the motorway you have good access to the Pennines.

Angrypenguin 02 Jun 2021
In reply to waterfall:

Still in the city but all off road and mostly under trees - I think that the Ladybrook valley trail is a bit of a hidden gem. Would only be 15 minutes drive and free parking in Abney Park.

https://ldwa.org.uk/ldp/members/show_path.php?path_name=Ladybrook+Valley+In...

galpinos 02 Jun 2021
In reply to Angrypenguin:

> Still in the city but all off road and mostly under trees - I think that the Ladybrook valley trail is a bit of a hidden gem. Would only be 15 minutes drive and free parking in Abney Park.

Or a 20minute cycle......

OP waterfall 02 Jun 2021

thank you for all the responses, I have got a good few to try out now! I appreciate each and every one

I have been walking in lyme park previously, so may give this my first attempt

chew valley is good, done a little bit of scrambling there before so know the area well 

Levy-danny, yours is a very kind offer so thank you very much for that, I may well take you up on that....

I often find that if I have a book I will tick them off, does anyone have any recommendations or is the topic to bespoke

robsykes1975 21 Jun 2021
In reply to waterfall:

just to let you know that the lyme park website is showing that the park closes at 4.30pm so may not be suitable for after-work runs.  unsure whether they actually lock the gates or not but i guess we should all respect their guidance.  

mrphilipoldham 21 Jun 2021
In reply to robsykes1975:

If you want to drive in and park then you'll be out of luck, but you can park in Disley and walk (run!) in on foot as there are rights of way which criss-cross the park and are accessible 24/7.

Levy_danny 21 Jun 2021
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

I park at nelsons pit and run in along the canal and then back out through another exit. 

robsykes1975 22 Jun 2021
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

good to know! i often wondered about that as some of the routes i use to enter/exit the park aren't by the usual gates. many thanks!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...