IT Band and foam roller - to roll or not to roll?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PPP 16 Sep 2018

Most of the videos or websites and some manufacturers (e.g. Trigger Point) suggest to roll the IT band. However, it's not a muscle and few resources say that you shouldn't roll it. Not rolling sounds safer option, but what do I know! 

What is UKC's consensus on it? 

MJAngry 16 Sep 2018
In reply to PPP:

I find rolling kind of helps with my acute It band, but it's more of a relief kind of thing. It doesn't really help with the problem and certainly does not last long in its effects. 

The physio gave me stretches and exercises that help much better than rolling or It band manipulation /massage. But certainly as it's a tendon not a muscle, rolling as a warm up is probably a little pointless. Rolling just seems to stretch things out a little to provide a little room, so my knee does't eat the band. 

Dave the Rave 16 Sep 2018
In reply to PPP:

Roll it. Forget that the ITB doesn’t stretch. It’s overlying tissues do.

Combine this with lots of core work and ‘clams’ to strengthen gluteus medius. 

Wee Davie 16 Sep 2018
In reply to PPP:

I've attended a Physio in the last few weeks who doesn't reckon the roller approach works. I've seen other internet videos etc that also back that advice up.

I was given advice about muscle strengthening exercises to rehab the weaknesses that road running has caused. I'd advise getting a physio to confirm the diagnosis of IT band inflammation if you haven't already. 

Sharp 17 Sep 2018
In reply to PPP:

It's just a form of deep tissue massage which has plenty benefits if done correctly. If you aimlessly roll around on a bit of foam you're most likely wasting your time or potentially making things worse.

ITB issues are usually caused by strength and flexibility issues but you really need to identify what is causing your particular problem and fix that, foam rolling will most likely help in addition to strengthening and stretching exercises targeted at what has caused your problem in the first place.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YYb9vyj6zQ

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq6NcAoQDSk&t=414s

Post edited at 07:53
 tim_broadhurst 17 Sep 2018
In reply to PPP:

(Not a physio) but I have seen a lot with many running injuries now. 

Yes the ITB will not stretch but if it doesn’t stretch then how can it be tight?! This should give you a clue as the ITB is tensioned by various muscles including the glutes and TFL. 

Depending on your running history and what you’ve done recently it’s likely you have shocked one of these muscles and it’s now rebelling by being tight. This in turn pulls on the ITB which rubs on the side of the knee (I forget on what it doesn’t matter but this is what causes the pain).

So you likely need to create some slack in the system. If a muscle is tight the you can either stretch or massage. For me both work and I have had varying success with pidgeon stretch (and variations if you are really tight - google) ease into it takes about 2-5 mins to relax into this. To massage get a hockey ball google TFL/glute medius/ glute maximus and then lie/ sit on the ball. This will hurt - do it in one spot until you feel the muscle relax- search for tight spots. If you overdo this it can cause the muscle to tense and cramp for days so warm it up and start slow....

A combination of the above has always solved my issues. 

Then you need to go right back to the start and figure why it was tight to prevent it happening again. Too much/ too fast/ too far/ too hilly/ too offf road / too on road. Basically whatever you changed or did you did too much of it. 

You can get ahead by doing strength work to prevent and toughen you up google ITBand rehab routine. Or I have found in the last year just hike/ run (depending on level) a load of hills- careful on the downs until you’re robust. This seems to get you a lot stronger than any exercises.

dr_botnik 18 Sep 2018
In reply to PPP:

Don't roll your IT band!!

It won't stretch, roll the muscles around it. I avoid rolling the sides of my leg and instead roll the muscles (glutes, quads, calves). I used to aimlessly roll all over my legs, but started developing knee issues. After stopping rolling the sides, it went away. N=1 and all, but the articles I read online seem to agree, stick to massaging the muscles, don't roll the IT band.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...