Is 100km (flat) run realistic for busy working family people?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 elliot.baker 20 Feb 2023

Last year I ran the Welsh 3000s (about 53km, 3800m ascent) after putting a training plan together from "Training for the Uphill athlete". It took me about 14 hours in the end but that's not relevant to this.

I completely roughly 90% of the training miles as directed by the plan, culminating in several weeks at the end of running about 25-28km two days in a row (each taking about 3 hours across hilly terrain). I'd set off at about 5am on Sat/Sun mornings so still had time for a day with the family after.

I've had my eye on this 100km flat route for some time in the back of my mind, thinking well it's flat and smooth, not rough terrain, could I do it? I thought I'll plug the numbers into the Excel training plan I made last year and obviously it just doubled all the weekly mileages from the 50km plan I did. This culminates in 160km of running in the biggest week! Hell - the starting week 1 is 60km and I'm only doing 30-40km per week now (quite relaxed).

I suppose my questions are - and everyone's life is different - 

1) Would I need to do the same kind of training plan for a flat 100km as a mountainous 50km? Or could I cut some corners (assuming I don't care at all about pace I just want to get to the end on my feet).

2) Is it realistic for a busy full time worker with a baby and a toddler to commit that much time to running training, whilst also trying to do a house up and live married family life...... Or should I put this idea on the backburner until I'm reincarnated as someone with more spare time 😂

My plan B is just doing the route in 2 halves and just suffering through each half and doing a lot less / no training.

Edit: as I posted this I just remembered Jasmin Paris' Spine Race performance a few years ago so I know it's possible for some people but I suppose I'm just thinking out loud as I often do on here! So just humour me!

Post edited at 15:13
 subtle 20 Feb 2023
In reply to elliot.baker:

Not quite the same distances, but I trained for a half marathon, did that, then took a fancy for a marathon, it was about 4 weeks later, I just rocked up on the day and thought it would be fine (double the distance, no problem) - all went well until mile 20!

Moral is that you do need to train for these things.

With regards to the time taken to train and how that impacts on your family life and whether it is worth it etc. only you can answer that (along with your partner and family)

Good luck in what you decide to do.

Marek 20 Feb 2023

Short answer: No, a busy (normal?) life is no excuse.

Longer answer: Probably not - it depends on the individual. When I was into running (mainly ultras, fell running and mountain marathons) I was pretty much in your position (kids, house, work...). I never had a 'training plan' as such*, I just made sure I got out regularly and probably average 30 miles a week, mainly at lunch times (my boss was a runner too ). One of my regular MM partners didn't really run much at all, he was just generally pretty fit and had a high pain threshold. Overall I though I was pretty average in terms of training load compared to my peers. The only ones that obviously put more concerted effort into 'training' (as opposed to just 'going for a run') were the ones who were aiming to win the elite class (or equivalent).

I would say a lot depends on (a) your tendency to pick up injuries (including blisters), (b) your threshold for putting up with discomfort (and possibly pain) and (c) your determination to finish. I think any decently fit person should be able to do a 100km event without wrecking themselves and without having to resort to years of carefully crafted training. If they really want to.

* OK, towards the end I did actually have a plan: I alternated hard weeks (>30 miles) with easy weeks (<29** miles), but that's as far as it went.

** Just trying to defeat the damned auto-smiley inserter!

Post edited at 15:39
 petemeads 20 Feb 2023

Eminently feasible, but it obviously depends on how long you are happy to take! I did a flat 62 x 1 mile grass lap charity event a month before my 33 yr old was born, having raced London in the April, done the Sligachan round in Skye in June, and failed on the BGR a week later. I had a longest training week pre-London of 77 miles but my average over the 3 months buildup was only 38 miles.

I reckoned on running a steady 6 mph and thought 72 miles was possible - but having done 30 laps in 4h 30m I decided to get a proper rest, 30 mins in the shade (hot day), and was so stiff and awkward on re-commencing running that I had to start mixing walking in with running slowly, only managing another 32 miles in the remaining 7 hours. Very tired and stiff at the finish, and cross with myself for not changing the pace a bit more, going steadier in the early phase,  and not eating/drinking on the hoof. Still happy to have done 100k in 12 hours though!

Completely flat is probably not the ideal course, a bit of variation will spread the damage somewhat.

dread-i 20 Feb 2023

Is it supported? Some, like Race to the Stones, would be more do able than, say, an unsupported flat 100km.

I've done 2x 100km races on not much more than 60km on a big week, 40-50km on a normal week. The ability to stop and get a brew, hot food, stock up on snacks and any medical attention makes logistics much easier.

If you're aiming to tick the box, then you'll get by. If you want to be in the top X% then perhaps up the training. The longest I'd done previously was 50km. In both races, I felt better in the second half, which surprised me. 

SouthernSteve 20 Feb 2023

This is a constant question for me. I have a busy life - some would say too busy (tea break at present in case you thought posting opposed this view), and I do struggle to get enough running in some weeks when there are a lot of deadlines or other things going on. I want to do it, but can't reasonably turn up at work completely knackered. 

Marek 20 Feb 2023
In reply to petemeads:

> ... Completely flat is probably not the ideal course, a bit of variation will spread the damage somewhat.

Absolutely! For me any run/event had to be 'fun' (at least during to good times) which meant interesting terrain and scenery. I can't imagine running 1 miles laps round a field all day!

dread-i 20 Feb 2023
In reply to Marek:

> I can't imagine running 1 miles laps round a field all day!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/64139029

Marek 20 Feb 2023

One other though/suggestion: Decide how much time you're willing to commit to training and stick to it. But you'll only know if you're capable of that 100km if you try it - no internet advise will actually tell you.

Marek 20 Feb 2023
In reply to dread-i:

I raise you https://www.thehillultra.com/.

On my doorstep, but 55 laps (160 miles) up and down the same hill in dark December? No thank you! Worse still, you have the warm lights of the Cat and Fiddle pub whispering to you every 2.9 miles. No.

OP elliot.baker 20 Feb 2023

food for thought here thanks all.

I have a high-tendency to pick up sprained ankle injuries historically but that's always on trail running, this will be flat/smooth training so I would be less likely to do that. I've not had a blister in years on my feet so not too worried about that. Used to get some knee pain if I did a massive increase in mileage week on week but that's not been a problem if I do the gradual increase.

Either way I think I need to be putting in a lot more than I currently am with my relaxed couple of 10ks a week!!

oh - and it could be supported if I wanted it to be. I'll probably go into shops and stuff like that, it's not an organised race thing just me on my own. I think I will do it "supported" in that sense, top-up on water/snacks etc. from shops. I did the W3K on about a tonne of SiS gels - I don't think I'd fancy that again for 100km - my wee was luminous!

The New NickB 20 Feb 2023

I did a hilly 75km off fairly modest training, around 40 miles a week, which was just my normal training at the time. It was fine, but I wasn’t really racing it.

My wife has raced a flat 100km a couple of times and won a flat 75km. She would do a long weekend run, but never high mileage overall, probably never more than 100km in a week, usually quite a bit less.

You need to think about strategy more on the flat, when it hilly you walk the hills, when it’s flat you need to think about it a bit more.

Post edited at 17:02
OP elliot.baker 20 Feb 2023
In reply to The New NickB:

> You need to think about strategy more on the flat, when it hilly you walk the hills, when it’s flat you need to think about it a bit more.

Could you elaborate on this? I've never thought about it. What do you mean - like ... walk sometimes? I probably would anyway from just pure exhaustion but do you mean pro-actively slow down for sections and walk? tbh I wouldn't mind walking loads of it I just want to do this route for aesthetic reasons more than anything 😂

The New NickB 20 Feb 2023

My wife worked to a 25/5 schedule. 25 minutes of running and five minutes walking, with any eating and drinking done in the walk phase. Maybe adjusting slightly if coming up to an aid station. If going well, she might go to 27/3 or 28/2, but always something, except maybe the last hour of the race.

Helps break the race down, helps with refuelling and  general organisation. This approach usually meant that she overtook lots of people in the second half of the race.

petemeads 20 Feb 2023

For me, walk the ups, jog the flats, run the downs seemed to work best...

Marek 20 Feb 2023
In reply to petemeads:

> For me, walk the ups, jog the flats, run the downs seemed to work best...

Not necessarily if it's 100km totally flat

SouthernSteve 20 Feb 2023

If you are going to 'jeff' it, start that way, don't wait until you are tired. Perhaps practice the ratio to find out what keeps you fresh. The New NickB's 25/5 would not suit me, but I doubt I am as fit as members of that family. 10 minutes running and a couple minutes walking does me well.

There used to be lots of info about run-walk on http://www.jeffgalloway.com/ but I haven't looked recently as our security device is very wary about the site.

Lhod 20 Feb 2023

It's definitely doable. I've done a few ultras over recent years, with a very hilly 50 miler in 2021 when my kids were 10 months and 3 years old. Both wife and I work full time in busy jobs and were undergoing a major house renovation / building work at the time.

Aside from the running side of things, my advice would be:

- take turns with your partner. So for 3 months or so, you will unavoidably use up more of the weekend time etc whilst they carry more of the childcare burden, then once your race is done, ease off and take the burden to give them more time for whatever they like doing.

- be creative and efficient with your training to get the miles in as seamlessly as possible. Commuting is ideal for this, as is the nursery/school run, or whatever fits in best. Running with a buggy where possible is 2 birds 1 stone.

- get up really early to minimise the impact on everyone else, it's nice to be back from a weekend long run by 9am! (sounds like your already doing this) 

Running wise, 160km in a week sounds like massive mileage for a 100km race, I wouldn't really expect to be doing more than about 40-50 miles (so approx 80km?).

Good luck and believe!

P.s. Yes, whenever I'm feeling sorry for myself, tired etc. I just think of Jasmin Paris

Post edited at 23:46
 NorthernGoat 21 Feb 2023
In reply to Lhod:

Early starts, running after bedtime stories, running to work etc it's getting the miles in at unsociable times and having as littl impact as possible on family life. 

Be honest about the time commitment with your partner (don't forget to include the stretch/eat/get your head together time needed after a long run). 

Dont over run apparently this is really frustrating whe.n you just add 30min on because you feel good. Dont get lost on a mountain run apparently descending into the wrong valley adds undue stress to a family camping holiday!

Rest and go to bed early! Refuel and pay attention to niggles. Its really easy to push through tiredness and niggles and end up with a real I jury (I speak from losing 6years of running/biking due to hamstring tendinopathy)

Also choose a really inspiring race! It's easier to train of you are inspired! 

probablylost 21 Feb 2023
In reply to NorthernGoat:

...or pick a scary race, it's easier to train if you're scared!

Levy_danny 21 Feb 2023

Hi Elliot 

Do you wfh from home or have the possibility to run commute? 

The current record holder for the both the arc of attrition (100 miles) and Arc 50 miles does most of his miles run commuting to work and back. 

OP elliot.baker 21 Feb 2023
In reply to Lhod:

> Running wise, 160km in a week sounds like massive mileage for a 100km race, I wouldn't really expect to be doing more than about 40-50 miles (so approx 80km?).

The 160km is just doubling the 50km training plan from Training for the Uphill athlete - I've just assumed it would also apply for "flat athletes" as well 😅, That was the biggest week.

When you say approx 80km, how would you be splitting that? something like ...15x3=45 + 1 x 35?

2 x 25 = 50 + 3 x 10km? 

And would that be a "big week" towards the end of your training programme? I've always thought you should progressively increase your mileages and have a rest week every 2-3 weeks. Are you suggesting you'd have a more regular week on week mileage rather than increasing (once I had gradually increased to 80km/week I mean)?

thanks for any tips you can share.

NorthernGoat 21 Feb 2023

Id take a look at swap training plans. They are pretty comprehensive and give a range of weekly distances

Lhod 21 Feb 2023

So when I trained for the 50 miler, I followed this plan (scroll down to the table near the bottom) - https://relentlessforwardcommotion.com/free-50-mile-ultramarathon-training-... - and found it worked really well. I managed to stay injury free and felt really good on race day, and crossed the line with more in the tank.

Most weeks were approx 50 miles, usually 3 sessions during the week, then increasingly long runs on Sat and slow plod on tired legs on Sun.

Marek 21 Feb 2023
In reply to Lhod:

> ... and slow plod on tired legs on Sun.

Actually that's a good point. Physically it's better to train when fresh - you get the most benefit. But ultras require mental fitness as well as physical, so learning to 'get a move on' when tired and sore is something you should factor into your training plan. Just not too much - it's a bit of a balancing act.

NorthernGoat 22 Feb 2023

I'd also say ask this question on a running forum! You might get a whole different set of answers!

timjones 22 Feb 2023

It should be farily easily achievable on the flat, Ive done several 100km mountain races and it would be pretty rare for my training to exceed 60km in a week.

Post edited at 17:02

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...