Good first Peak District Ultra for someone who's never done a race

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 elliot.baker 06 Jul 2023

I've never ran a race before other than Park Runs but have ran about 1300km per year for the last three years, and ran 50km on my own several times fairly comfortably (including Welsh 3000s and around Bleaklow/Kinder), as well as marathon distances. So I know I can do the distance on the terrain in the time required.

Perhaps it could be fun to enter an organised ultra in the Peak District... I can see there are several in September like the ones listed below. What should I be thinking of when picking...? I'm not competitive... is the race just for the camaraderie and so on?  I think I'd be quite nervous with all the build up on the morning and the checking of kit etc., and starting with a crowd. The minimum kit list is more than I would normally carry (map, compass, emergency bag, first aid kit etc. would all be extra, don't judge me. But I suppose you can carry less food if there are check-points).

The Peak Running 33

High Peak 70/100km  RangerUltras

Edale MRT Nine Edges

Ultra X 110km (whole weekend thing)

Peak District South and North 43/50/93km RangerUltras

Yanchik 06 Jul 2023
In reply to elliot.baker:

Did the Ranger Ultra first half last september - Ashbourne to Edale - 50km. My first Ultra. 

Comment from a physio who does (very) long distance runs was that it wasn't a top choice as the start is so flat (up the Tissington trail old railway line for 35km) and my hips would benefit from a bit more variety. I did it, but I agree with her. 

Folk were very welcoming and friendly, congratulatory. One individual from the Royal Blanket Stackers was a bit patronising and full-on, but he was notably the exception, and it was about him and his social skills. Event staff were superb. 

Y

Yanchik 06 Jul 2023
In reply to Yanchik:

Ooh. RTFQ first. I've also done Nine Edges, Edale MRT. Wouldn't have called it an Ultra, but good fun. Contrast to the Tissington Trail, straight up the side from the reservoir and then mostly down the gritstone edges to the pub. I blew up my calves starting too fast and hobbled a lot of it, but again, good atmosphere, excellent event staff & welcomes and suchlike. 

In fact that was the story of my "Ultras." Sept 2021 Edale misery. 2022 I learned how to run long distances; did a 35 + 25ish with an overnight bivvy in February on the S/Downs, gradually sorted out my nutrition, hydration, enough salt (on events) and stretching (between events) to not knacker my calves or hips, injury/blister/black toe management and stuff. It wasn't about getting fitter or more mental strength or some clever thing, it was about removing the things that can stop you. Did the Baslow Boot Bash (44km) sometime in the summer, found that brutal because I was with people who were a tiny bit faster than me... all learning points. 

Y

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...