Cairngorm 4000ers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

The five Cairngorm 4000ers - A big route for walkers, but I'm thinking it also has to be one of the best mid-sized days for hill runners.

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/articles/destinations/the_big_routes_cairngor...

I did it in around 10hrs at steady but not strenuous walking pace the other week, and definitely felt I'd be faster on a good day. What would people think a feasible rough time for a very average runner? (who's still likely to be walking a lot of it).

I notice Finlay did it clockwise on his 2018 record run (3:53, that's really going some): http://gomountaingoats.blogspot.com/2018/08/cairngorm-4000ers-record_6.html

Having done it both directions I'm unsure which is better if you're going for a decent time (whatever that means to you).

Clockwise means you get to descend that long steep bit off Macdui, which is a bit of a killer in ascent. But then you hit the rocky ground on Cairn Toul when the legs are no longer fresh; and there's that last climb through the Chalamain Gap.

Anti-clockwise gets what I'd consider the harder hills out of the way first, and you have the long, easy Macdui-Cairngorm section to wind down on and maybe find some late pace. But on the other hand there's that horrible climb up MacD; and the descent off Cairngorm is cobble-stoney and knee-jarring right at the end too.

I wondered if folk had useful opinions on that?

Post edited at 10:02
 Kalna_kaza 14 Jul 2022
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Definitely anti clockwise for me. The big climb up Ben Macdui is, as you say, is a killer but taking it steady going up and then a relatively cruise on the return leg is easier than the up and down on the western side. 

I'm not much of a runner but find long sustained climbs easy to deal with going up than down, especially when tired. 

Garethza 14 Jul 2022
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

I did it in about 9 hours anti-clockwise running however this was with pretty soft snow on the plateaus which was absolutely soul destroying..! Definitely will wait for the snow to all melt next time  

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...