Anyone tried the new inov8 trail talons?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dr_botnik 27 Mar 2020

Specifically the new 290 model.

I own the older 275 in blue (the off road version as opposed to the red road ones) I found them to be the most comfortable running shoes I've owned but need a new pair and can't really go and try any on.

Weirdly, when i bought them a while back, tried on the red road version and found the fit completely different.

Would be particularly useful if someone had tried the new 290 and also had a preference for either the blue or red 275?

Roadrunner6 28 Mar 2020
In reply to dr_botnik:

How are the new inov8s in general?

the last pair I had were terrible. Just cheap import quality. Bought at a reputable shop through a local inov8 rep. This was late 2018. The uppers were awful, destroyed within 250 miles.

Queenie 28 Mar 2020
In reply to dr_botnik:

Worth checking on runrepeat.com, they review trail/running shoes pretty comprehensively.

steelbru 28 Mar 2020
In reply to dr_botnik:

I had the trailtalon 290 ( the original ones bought March 2018, there's now a v2 out ). I really liked them, got over 600 miles out of them before the uppers began to burst where the forefoot flexes, the sole still had quite a bit of grip left.

I run a mixture a forestry roads, some single track, and the odd mile or so of road heading to and from the trails.
A "put it on and forget it" type of shoe, decent enough grip for the sort of terrain I run ( pretty useless in slippy muddy stuff, but got other types for that ), not that light, but for every day training then comfort comes first. 

I never had the Trailtalon 275 so can't compare, but imagine they'd be very similar.

Another shoe I rate as highly, if not more, is the Parkclaw 275 - such a comfortable shoe, and quite a bit lighter than the trailtalon ( a lot more than the claimed 15g difference when weighed on the kitchen scales : 295g v 344g for my size uk10.5 ). The Parkclaw is even wider in the forefoot - fit width 5 v 4 for the Trailtalon 290. The Parkclaw is better than the Trailtalon on roads, so if you run a mix of roads and mild trails in the same run then it's a better shoe.

Post edited at 16:00
OP dr_botnik 28 Mar 2020
In reply to Roadrunner6:

I really don't do enough running to be able to tell! Although I've had my last pair for a good 2 years, i only have sporadic periods of regular running. My small toe is starting to burst through so looking for a replacement.

Thanks for the recommendations Queenie and steelbru, may check out the parkclaw as they sound well suited

Bog ninja 28 Mar 2020
In reply to Roadrunner6:

Hi Road Runner,

I have found them to be pretty good wear and tear wise. My Roclite g 275s  look almost new despite being 10 months old and having regular weekly use, including racing. My x talons 212s are also holding up very nicely, I have two pairs which I use in rotation ranging between 3 and 6 months old. My first pair of Roclite 305s were less good with the usual hole developing at the crease above the ball of my foot after a few months, my second pair faired much better.

More-On 29 Mar 2020
In reply to dr_botnik:

Can't help on the just released 290 v2 having bought several cheap pairs of the 290 v1 in the spring sales, but I can say the 290 v1 and 275 are very, very similar. The lacing web on the 290 v1 is better than the 275 IMO.

Not tried the road claw, but IIRC it was a 5 on the inov8 fit scale vs the 4 of the trail talon. I found the parkclaw, also a 5, too wide. Which is why I use the trail talons for everything except mud or mountains, when the x talon ultras come out. These are also a 4 - see a pattern here?!

HTH

More-On 29 Mar 2020
In reply to Roadrunner6:

Happy to say quality has improved in recent years. I've use inov8s for running and backpacking over many years they for me really well, and on my recent pairs the uppers have completely outlasted the soles. Must get something like 600miles out of them before they are to shot for running and are relegated to walking.

HTH

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...