Achilles heel strain

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jethro kiernan 18 Jan 2019

I’ve developed an Achilles heel pain, I think it was triggered by a couple of big days out in new B2 boots but didn’t really kick in until a regular 11k trail run a few days after getting back December 20th). There is a bit of swelling just above the heel. Rested over Christmas, tried a couple of gentle treadmill runs in the new year with only mild discomfort. Tried a gentle 6k road run and it’s flsred up again.

Back on the RICE, any one experience this and any exercise that helps (seem to be okay on the exercise bike) and what does the recovery times look like?

Phil1919 18 Jan 2019
In reply to jethro kiernan:

In my experience, rest is what worked, although its difficult to take. Bike was okay.  

plyometrics 18 Jan 2019

Assuming it’s a tendinopathy of some sort, if you stick to the Alfredson protocol religiously for few weeks you’ll be fine:

https://andersonclinic.com/Achilles%20Midsubtance%20Tendinitis.pdf

I can say from personal experience this rehab solved a crippling and chronic problem I had last year. 

Post edited at 16:55
In reply to plyometrics:

Cheers, I’ll get started on some exercises 

plyometrics 18 Jan 2019

Please do. I can’t stress enough what a positive impact this had on me. It’s the gold standard of Achilles rehab. It will be painful initially, but stick with it and the very best of luck!

Chris Ridgers 18 Jan 2019

I had Achilles tendonitis last year and it stopped me running for the best part of 5 months! I found a combination of rest,  heel drops, sports massages on my calf mussels and massage therapy to brake up scar tissue on the tendon helped promote recovery. 

I am convinced that hot baths with epsom salts also helped when I returned to running again. KT tape was also helpful!

Good luck,

Chris  

steelbru 18 Jan 2019

I agree whole-heartedly with doing heel drops.

If you like to read quite detailed ( not too scientific ) reasoning why they work, and also what you shouldn't be doing, then take 20 mins and read this excellent article

http://www.runningwritings.com/2013/11/achilles-tendonitis-in-runners.html

In reply to steelbru:

Thanks

SouthernSteve 18 Jan 2019

If its the tendon (tendinitis/tendinosis) after an initial period of rest some stress is needed for repair rather than complete rest. Heal drops and light exercise (reduced running or walking instead) are typical starters for this area. 

Lrunner 23 Jan 2019

I've just read this thread after worrying that my Achilles was damaged due to a lot of hill running this winter. 

Saw my Physio this afternoon (he's great  if anyone needs one in Elgin)

He did some tests etc and found it is swelling to my ankle bursa lateral not my Achilles. To the layman the symptoms are similar but rehab totally different. All the heal raises I was doing was making it worse.

If you haven't already done so go see a physio, just to confirm it. I'm glad I did as I'm a lot less worried.

Not having ago at the advice on this forum by any means, but I'm glad I got a diagnosis from a pro.

Lawrence

JB 27 Jan 2019
In reply to plyometrics:

For those doing the heel drops... Did you progressively add weight ( via a rucksack or similar) and how much did you build up to?

In reply to JB:

I used a machine in the gym. Surely the otherwise most pointless piece of equipment in there.

plyometrics 27 Jan 2019
In reply to JB:

Just body weight for me. There’s a school of thought that advocates progressive loading over time, but I managed to do without. 

Ridge 27 Jan 2019
In reply to plyometrics:

Body weight for me too, as you said a really good exercise.

Trying to get heel drops in a couple of times a day, some massage every other day.

steelbru 28 Jan 2019
In reply to JB:

Yes, once you can do 2 or 3 sets of say 50, then put some books in a rucksack and build up again ( starting with a lower number obviously ). Never actually weighed the rucksack and books, was about a 30 litre one.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...