50 mile trail ultra

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 climb41 03 Aug 2018

Thinking I might step up to this distance. Anyone got any recommendations for a first time 50 miler?

In a perfect world, in Yorkshire, or north of England. I have decided I hate running in the heat, so perhaps the race should be in the first 3 or 4 months of the year or the last...

Thoughts? 

Thank you. 

goose299 03 Aug 2018
In reply to climb41:

Lakes in a day? It’s the middle of October

Not sure if there are entries left for this year but if not, there’s always 2019

climberchristy 03 Aug 2018
In reply to climb41:

Hardmoors 55 would fit the bill? (with an extra 5 miles)

Neil Williams 03 Aug 2018
In reply to goose299:

It's full I'm afraid.  But yes I would recommend Lakes in a Day as a beginner ultra for any competent hillwalker because the long cut-off (24 hours) means you don't have to be quick, and it's really a very well run event.

Post edited at 08:17
 Wonrek 03 Aug 2018
In reply to climb41:

What type of terrain do you like running on? The Hardmoors 55 is a great event, tough course though. For a 'step' up event have a look at the Centurian 50's especially the South Downs Way, that's a nice introductory one.

OP climb41 03 Aug 2018
In reply to climberchristy:

> Hardmoors 55 would fit the bill? (with an extra 5 miles)

I see that in 2019 it’s reduced to 50 miles!  Perfect. 

OP climb41 03 Aug 2018
In reply to Wonrek:

> What type of terrain do you like running on? The Hardmoors 55 is a great event, tough course though. For a 'step' up event have a look at the Centurian 50's especially the South Downs Way, that's a nice introductory one.

Thanks Wonrek; really looking for runs in north of England. But I’ll bear it mind. 

Terrain? ....off road if possible. And more trail type running than fell type running!

Post edited at 10:52
OP climb41 03 Aug 2018
In reply to goose299:

Thanks Goose & Neil. Yes, that looks interesting. Maybe 2019....

Wonrek 03 Aug 2018
In reply to climb41:

How about the Montane Cheviot Goat? It's up north, off road, end of the year but sadly you might find it a little easy as it falls short the the 50 mile

OP climb41 03 Aug 2018
In reply to Wonrek:

> How about the Montane Cheviot Goat? It's up north, off road, end of the year but sadly you might find it a little easy as it falls short the the 50 mile

Thanks Wonrek.  Wow, that looks bit serious as a first go! And it’s 55 miles! (Nice video on the homepage though the music is a bit dramatic) 

im off 03 Aug 2018
In reply to climb41:

Punk Panther ultramarathons? Not done any myself. There's a series of them.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...