100 mile race shoe

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bina 30 Jun 2023

Morning,

I'm looking to get a shoe for the 13 valleys ultra this year. My thoughts so far are:

SCOTTSupertrac Ultra RC

SCARPA RIBELLE

salomon SUPERCROSS 4

They all come with their own pros and cons, but it would be great to here if anyone has used the above for something similar.

Thank you.

100 mile Ultra shoe?

Scarpa Ribelle
1 vote | 0%
salomon SUPERCROSS 4
2 votes | 0%
SCOTT Supertrac Ultra RC
1 vote | 0%
Inov-8 Terraultra
5 votes | 0%
Hoka Speedgoat
14 votes | 0%
Saucing peregrine
4 votes | 0%
100 miles? Blimey have you not heard of wheels?
8 votes | 0%
Whatever shoes you're used to on long runs.
14 votes | 0%
La Sportuva Murant
1 vote | 0%
Hoka Challenger ATR
1 vote | 0%
Login to vote
 Levy_danny 30 Jun 2023
In reply to Bina:

I wore Hoka Speedgoat for my 100 mile run, it wasn't technical trail though. Having wore them for a few 50 milers I unexpectedly got blisters but think it's because I was trying new socks (incredibly stupid I know) I'd wear them again I think. 

dread-i 30 Jun 2023
In reply to Bina:

I've got Speedgoat and Trailfly Ultra 300G, (I know that's not what you asked about I prefer the goats, as a good all round shoe. I've used them in snow, ice, mud & dry they seem to work out for me. The Trailflys are also good, 50g heavier & higher, with a slot for a gaiter strap in the sole. Be aware that the goats are narrow. Get the 2E width, version.

yorkshireman 30 Jun 2023
In reply to Bina:

Ran the UTMB in Speedgoats - 42 hours with no change of socks (it was dry) and not a blemish afterwards.

I guess the big question is why are you looking for a new shoe? I would run in whatever you're used to running long distances in already. A 40 mile training run should show up any problems and I would make sure you've got 100 miles or so logged on whatever shoes you run the race in.

Also worth thinking about the fact that you might want to change shoes midway through if you have a drop bag, due to them getting soaked, muddy etc. Some people suggest having a slightly bigger pair for the latter half due to your feet swelling but I've never really bothered with that.

Derry 30 Jun 2023
In reply to Bina:

I'm another fan of Hoka's being converted on a 100 mile event too. I put some holes in a pair of Arcteryx and Solomon shoes after very little training and decided to splash out on some Mafete Speedcross 3s. I can honestly say they were the best and most comfortable shoes I've ever had. Robust enough that they didn't develop any tears in the upper that happened in the previous shoes, but light and cushioned enough to feel like you're running on pillows. One of the first runs I did with them was a 50 mile training run and then doing the actual 100; I didn't get a single blister.

I chose the Mafete over the speedgoats due to the lugs being a bit less aggressive (as there was some road sections on my run) but would happily buy the speedgoats due to friends recommendations.

blackcat 30 Jun 2023
In reply to Bina:

For such a long race i presume youve done other long races,id be tempted to use shoes ive used before rather than take a gamble with a new shoe,though just my opinion.

greg_may_ 30 Jun 2023
In reply to Bina:

Whichever shoe I've trained in, a lot.  There is no simple answer to this. 

OP Bina 01 Jul 2023
In reply to yorkshireman:

Morning,

To elaborate, i tend to pick shoes based on the race i am going to do. What would be fit for purpose and take advantage of any new developments. For example the last race was 45 miles and relatively flat, so fast and light Hoka Torrent 2's with the prerequisite break in. With the next race being such a potential mix of terrain, weather and tactical walking, i was looking for something of a solid allrounder.

I will look into the Speedgoat's in a broader size, as that seems to be popular.

If you've any other thoughts please let me know, as i really appreciate the feedback.

mountainbagger 01 Jul 2023
In reply to dread-i:

> I've got Speedgoat and Trailfly Ultra 300G, (I know that's not what you asked about I prefer the goats, as a good all round shoe. I've used them in snow, ice, mud & dry they seem to work out for me. The Trailflys are also good, 50g heavier & higher, with a slot for a gaiter strap in the sole. Be aware that the goats are narrow. Get the 2E width, version.

I have both of those...

Speedgoat: loved them, great all-round shoe, feel fast/poppy but still good level of cushioning for longer runs and even stretches of road. Good grip for most things, except really muddy. Despite all my other Hokas being true to size, I found these a little tight and I got blisters at about 10 miles. They've got worn in and I've now gone up to 13/14 miles without issues but I don't trust them for a marathon. I'd assumed I needed a half size bigger next time but perhaps you're right and it's the width that's the problem.

Trailfly Ultra 300G: marketed as an ultra shoe. Comfortable but boring and a bit heavy/clumpy to run in. Disappointed with the grip given G is for Graphene and I'd assumed they'd be quite good for that. Probably won't buy them again.

If I had to do 100 trail miles tomorrow (I've only done 50 mile events), I'd reach for my Hoka Challenger ATR for comfort/cushion and performance (i.e. no blisters to date). The main issue with these is the grip so if it was a muddier event, I'd be unsure what to wear! Probably I'd wish for a slightly roomier pair of the Speedgoat. On a 30 mile absolute mud fest of the most tedious kind, I wore the Challenger and was pretty tired from all the sliding around. Even the Speedgoat would have struggled. Needed big lugs for that one. So...

Dry road/forest track/trail mix: Challenger

More technical, mostly trail: Speedgoats with a little more room than my current pair!

Quite muddy for long sections: someone help me here?! I could do with a comfortable but very grippy shoe myself 🙂

Levy_danny 01 Jul 2023
In reply to mountainbagger:

I wore saucony peregrine for trigger and was happy with how they performed over that distance but done nothing longer in them. For longer stuff I’d be tempted to try what damo wore on the spine this year ultra fly or something like that. 

wbo2 01 Jul 2023
In reply to Bina: What Mountainbagger writes makes a lot of sense.  I often see Speedgoat recommended , and they're not always appropriate, but I'd assume this course is technical enough that I'd prefer them to Challengers, and a bit long for Torrents

gooberman-hill 01 Jul 2023
In reply to Bina:

Take two pairs of shoes ( one in your drop bag) and change half way.

Make sure both pairs are worn in. Most importantly, they should be different models, because they will sit slightly differently on your feet and have different pressure points.

If you do this your feet will be in way better shape at the end. I'd also recommend taping your toes with microspore, preemptive competed where necessary,then putting a decent grease on your feet (especially on the microspore). Finally 1000 mike socks or equivalent.

steveej 12 Jul 2023
In reply to Bina:

Been through 4 pair of speed goats but always go up half a size and the 2E width version fits better for me - this is true for me with all hoka models.

Have a pair of challenger atr 6' and don't find them as cushioned as speed goats - so will not race in them.

Have a pair of Mafate speed 3 and Mafate Speed 4 which are both excellent shoes with deeper lugs than the speedgoat so better in muddier terrain.

Will be wearing speedgoat 5 and mafate speed 4 on Dragon 100 miler this weekend. Mafate for the more technical trail sections and speedgoat for mixed sections.

TMM 12 Jul 2023
In reply to Bina:

Have you considered the Saucony Xodus rather the Peregrine?

montyjohn 12 Jul 2023
In reply to Bina:

• SCOTTSupertrac Ultra RC - 8mm drop
  • SCARPA RIBELLE - 4mm drop
  • salomon SUPERCROSS 4 - 11mm drop

These shoes all have wildly different drops on them. If you normally run with a 4mm drop and switch to an 11mm drop and do a 100 mile run, I think somehting is going to hurt.

I only run in 0mm drop shoes. Any large drop seems to cause me problems.

What do you currently run in?

Post edited at 11:43

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...