Trowbarrow getting overgrown?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lankyman 19 May 2019

Apologies for the alarmist title. I've not climbed there for years but walked through yesterday and noticed a lot more vegetation growing in places I've not seen it in before. The main culprit seems to be red valerian and it's getting into cracks on the Assagai Wall and on various ledges.  Although good for bugs it may not be so good for climbing the routes it gets established in as can be seen at plenty of other local crags

Mark Harding 19 May 2019
In reply to Lankyman:

You are right, I've noticed that too ... I guess with the quarry being a Nature Reserve and SSSI climbers think it would be inappropriate to start pulling the vegetation out. The routes still get done a lot so people are just climbing around it.

Lord_ash2000 19 May 2019
In reply to Lankyman:

looking more from a bouldering point of view the last time I went (6 weeks or so ago) It seemed like they had cut down a lot of trees recently. They have chopped down a lot in front of red wall which opens the place up a lot and also chopped down a lot of the bushes around the shelter stone. Seemed a bit overkill around red wall as it was nice to be able to boulder in the shade. But I guess it'll help the routes dry out quicker. 

I don't know if this was for climbers or just happened to be around climbing areas. 

Mark Harding 19 May 2019
In reply to Lord_ash2000:

> I don't know if this was for climbers or just happened to be around climbing areas. 

I suspect it was some other aspect of managing the nature reserve. A few of the trees on the bank in front of Red Wall had blown over in the wind, so perhaps that's why they were cleared. (Lankyman knows more about the way the place is managed.) I rather like the new open aspect and as you say it will help things to dry out more quickly.

Post edited at 17:11

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...