The best UK climbing campsites

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 spoonernz 23 May 2021

I'm considering travelling (or basing myself somewhere) as a solo climber in the UK in a van, and wondering where the best spots to stay to meet climbers are? Other countries seem to have notorious climbing campsites, however I've not heard of any in the UK? Are there places I'd find myself surrounded in climbers and find it easy to meet people to climb with within a few days?

Darron 23 May 2021

In reply to

Interesting. Off hand I can’t think of any Camp 4/La Palud/Snells field type campsites here. It’s more spread out. You may be better using the partners forums on here.

heleno 23 May 2021
In reply to spoonernz:

Simons Field in Bosherston, Pembroke? 

ptrickey 23 May 2021
In reply to spoonernz:

North Lees campsite has spaces for vans, used by climbers and a nice walk up to Stanage.

Tigger 24 May 2021
In reply to heleno:

Beat me to it! Though last year it was rammed with triple axel motor homes, screaming kids and every OAP who wasn't allowed to go to Spain.

In reply to spoonernz:

Port a Bhaigh Campsite at Reiff

Andy Clarke 24 May 2021
In reply to spoonernz:

You'd be unlucky not to meet a good few climbers at Glenbrittle on Skye: but if you're there in high summer they may all be hiding inside their tents trying to escape the midges! Probably best to aim for May/June and Sept/Oct. This has the advantage that if you can't hook up with anyone, you've got the greatest concentration of superb scrambling in the UK.

Post edited at 11:18
 Boomer Doomer 24 May 2021
In reply to spoonernz:

Eric Jones' place at Tremadog (right besides the cliffs) is a great campsite for climbers, but I don't think it is open at the moment, but perhaps this will change soon.

springfall2008 24 May 2021
In reply to spoonernz:

North Lees for Stanage, it's in walking distance of the pub and the crag, what more do you need?

drconline 25 May 2021
In reply to spoonernz:

Not sure about meeting other climbers  but I’m going to give a plug for the Fidden Farm campsite at Fionnphort on the island of Mull.
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g551865-d4290774-Reviews-Fidden_...

Just beside the ferry to Iona is an amazing site with lots of space and pitches right by the Sandy beaches. Lots of nice pink mull granite to climb on with plenty routes in the SMC Inner Hebrides guidebook

ianstevens 25 May 2021
In reply to Boomer Doomer:

> Eric Jones' place at Tremadog (right besides the cliffs) was a great campsite for climbers, but I don't think it is open at the moment, but perhaps this will change soon.

FTFY. It's now full of glamping pods and the like, and has got expensive.

Tigger 25 May 2021
In reply to ianstevens:

And they don't like you using the toilet if you've only paid for car parking and not also bought a cake / coffee.

PaulJepson 25 May 2021
In reply to spoonernz:

I think there has always been climbers at Eric Bynes when I've stayed (and in the pub) but I've never seen a campsite where climbers mix and sort out partners there and then etc. in the UK. 

https://www.peakdistrict.org/eric-byne-campsite/

ianstevens 25 May 2021
In reply to Tigger:

> And they don't like you using the toilet if you've only paid for car parking and not also bought a cake / coffee.

I mean that often used to be the case anyway... but at least it wasn’t £20+ a night with enforced included breakfast

jezb1 25 May 2021
In reply to ianstevens:

> FTFY. It's now full of glamping pods and the like, and has got expensive.

It would be up near the top of:

”Which campsites used to be climbing Mecca’s but are now 1. Overpriced 2. Not actually open”

Remyveness 25 May 2021
In reply to spoonernz:

Nant Peris is North Wales probably isn't a bad bet either, but as others have said, I don't think there is any 'one' campsite in the UK which is best

GrahamD 25 May 2021
In reply to spoonernz:

I'd have thought the pubs near the campsites might be better than the sites for meetingclimbers.  Vaynol, Nant Perris and the St Govans Inn spring to mind.

Justaname 25 May 2021
In reply to spoonernz:

Lundy?

Michael Gordon 25 May 2021
In reply to drconline:

> Not sure about meeting other climbers  but I’m going to give a plug for the Fidden Farm campsite at Fionnphort on the island of Mull.> 

I wasn't too struck by the farmer there. He cleared us off the grass a half mile before the campsite, saying the (seasonal) campsite was closed. We pointed out that's why we weren't at the campsite, but to no avail.

Robert Durran 25 May 2021
In reply to jezb1:

> ”Which campsites used to be climbing Mecca’s but are now 1. Overpriced 2. Not actually open”

The old Reiff campsite was underpriced and the best campsite in the world but is closed. The new one is overpriced and rubbish in comparison but open.

In reply to spoonernz:

I'm not sure anywhere is that good for reliably finding climbing partners. As someone said above, probably better to post on here and see who's interested (a few days notice is often better than several weeks in advance).  

In reply to Robert Durran:

> The new one is overpriced and rubbish in comparison but open.

Yes, the only good thing about it is the close proximity of the pub.

In reply to GrahamD:

That's why Nant Peris would still be one of the better choices. And there's always plenty of bouldering in the Pass, if you can't find anyone to climb with.

Robert Durran 25 May 2021
In reply to Michael Gordon:

> Yes, the only good thing about it is the close proximity of the pub.

No, that is one of its detractions.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...