Salisbury crags - radical road open?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 icehockeyhair 29 Apr 2019

Does anyone know if the radical road is open below Salisbury Crags in Edinburgh? Historic Environment Scotland site suggests it is still closed and was hoping to head up for a boulder later this evening. If it is closed has anyone had any hassle from the rangers or polis for bouldering at south quarry?

In reply to icehockeyhair:

Sadly I don't have the answer, but am intrigued as to whether anyone else does, because - by complete chance - I might be up there as well this evening.

Maybe see you there...

mal_meech 29 Apr 2019

In the past it's been the section of Radical Road at the top, narrowest section of the path under the cliffs (well past the south quarry) which is "closed" while they rock clear so the South Quarry was still accessible. (from the far end)

No idea what their doing right now though.

Post edited at 11:08

The signs were still up yesterday.   I don't think I've ever seen rangers about in the evening.

I got told off by them years ago for ignoring a previous closure of Radical Road - there wasn't a sign until half way along and I couldn't be bothered adding a km to my run to go back down and round.   Wasn't a problem, one of them was trying not to laugh when the other one gave me a lecture about not wanting to get blood on his boots from my body after it had been crushed by a rockfall.

DannyC 29 Apr 2019

They've made a much greater effort than during previous closures to shut the RR. Lots of signs and fencing at both ends. I'm sure that won't stop (and hasn't stopped) some rebellious types from climbing - particularly as you could easily access the south quarry from above if you down-climb the mod. There's no date set for the RR reopening. 

For what it's worth, a friend and I were removed from the quarry last year by two baffled policemen for climbing without a permit. Scottish access rights don't apply in the park, sadly. 

D. 

OP icehockeyhair 29 Apr 2019

Thanks all for the responses.

daWalt 29 Apr 2019

blimey, it's been closed for weeks now, useless muppets. they're obviously using gravity and natural erosion as their loose rock management strategy.

I was there a few weeks ago and there were three crowd-barries to walk around at the south end - others done so too, not just boulderers.

OP icehockeyhair 29 Apr 2019
In reply to daWalt:

Not sure how long it has gone on for but I saw a story dated from september last year. Don't know if it has been re-opened and closed again since then. Hopefully it will be resolved more quickly than the section of the water of Leith just after Dean Village which seems to have been closed for years.

Post edited at 16:40

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...