Route naming in Scotland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JimR 15 May 2023

Should we not change all the route names to Gaelic? Perhaps also give route descriptions and directions to cliffs in Gaelic as well?

JLS 15 May 2023
In reply to JimR:

If we are going to the bother we might as well have Pictish and Scots too.

DaveHK 15 May 2023
In reply to JimR:

Calm down dear.

JLS 15 May 2023
In reply to JimR:

I’m not sure what the story is post Brexit but the 2011 census suggests there might be more Polish speakers than Gaelic speakers in Scotland. We better have a Polish notes too.  

Naechi 15 May 2023
In reply to JLS:

> I’m not sure what the story is post Brexit but the 2011 census suggests there might be more Polish speakers than Gaelic speakers in Scotland. We better have a Polish notes too.  

I know right? Should make it illegal again. Offenders should be belted, be burnt out their homes and forced to live in Glasgow. Again.

Post edited at 23:17
 S Andrew 16 May 2023
In reply to JLS:

There’s more Polish in the Peak District.

JLS 16 May 2023
In reply to S Andrew:

You mean Dzielnica Szczytowa?

S Andrew 16 May 2023
In reply to JLS:

The burning question is should Szczytowa be singular or plural?

kathrync 16 May 2023
In reply to JimR:

> Should we not change all the route names to Gaelic? Perhaps also give route descriptions and directions to cliffs in Gaelic as well?

Depending on the location, Scots, Doric or one of several other dialects is likely to be more appropriate...

French Erick 16 May 2023
In reply to JimR:

nope. First ascentionist’s prerogative. If it’s a visiting Austrian team, they name their route:

Pfugga-Lule (VIII 9)

Nought wrong with that so long as you’re not too offensive to anyone.

then you have interesting stuff like

Sassenach (E1 5b)

using the Ghàidhlig to name themselves English raiders robbing a plum line. Smart and banterish.

In reply to Naechi:

I managed to escape back to the Gaidheltachd  eventually. 200 years after my ancestors were kicked out. An tir, an canan. s' na  duine,!

tehmarks 16 May 2023
In reply to JimR:

Go and climb it first and you can name it whatever you like, in whatever language you like.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...