Rock falls at Horseshoe

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TobyA 13 May 2021

I was climbing on the upper tier last night and turning around and looking over to the top quarry on the other side, there's been a decent sized collapse I think a bit to right of the three routes finishing with A Tracky Little Bleeder (5a). I was last on Horseshoe's upper tier in late February and I didn't notice it then so it could be quite recent? Not sure. I also I didn't have chance to walk up there last night to see if it impacted on those routes, but basically just another reminder to keep your wits about you in the old quarries! There has also been a collapse on the wall to left as you walk into the quarry (along the BMC improved path!). No climbing there, but I'm pretty certain that also came down in the winter, so perhaps it's not unreasonable to expect more instability this spring.

edit: because I still can't get left and right the right way round first go! 

Post edited at 18:52
 DerwentDiluted 13 May 2021
In reply to TobyA:

As Dorothy Parker said about the death of President 'Silent Cal' Coolidge, "How can you tell?"

Post edited at 21:11
OP TobyA 13 May 2021
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

But - and more seriously - once I get my photo posting privileges back, I can post the slightly fuzzy photo I took (the sun had set by this point) and it's really obvious. A big white bit amongst the grey and lots of pale rock on the ground below it.

bonebag 13 May 2021
In reply to TobyA:

Yes, I was there on Monday this week and saw both of the rock falls you describe. We were also on upper tier around Commiseration.

tehmarks 14 May 2021
In reply to TobyA:

What, dare I ask, did you do to lose them?

OP TobyA 14 May 2021
In reply to tehmarks:

Just a technical issue rather than me sharing accidental pictures of something embarrassing. Promise. 😀 

I appear to be back in good standing so here is the fuzzy photo as promised.

Gary Gibson 14 May 2021
In reply to TobyA:the routes you talk about are to the left of this rockfall i think

OP TobyA 14 May 2021
In reply to Gary Gibson:

Cheers Garry, yes - that's what I thought, but as I hadn't walked up there and looked I wasn't 100 percent certain. I've still got to do that 5c so I hope it's still standing! 👍

climber34neil 14 May 2021
In reply to TobyA:

There's a surprise 😉🙃

OP TobyA 17 May 2021
In reply to TobyA:

Went back to Horseshoe for a quick visit this morning. Another team we were chatting to pointed out a massive block has fallen out of Before the War (5a). They had climbed around that area last weekend and were sure it hadn't happened then - so possibly it was this week. 

Anyway, the route looks rather different now - and I couldn't see but possibly lower bolts were damaged when the block came down. It looks a bit of mess in the niche left by the rockfall. I'd steer clear - it wasn't a great route a few years back when I did it. I doubt it's any better now and I'd be worried about more stuff falling.  Pictures below - and if you click on the climb link the photo already there shows what it looked like previously.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...