Research on mountaineering terminology

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hello everyone!

I am currently carrying out research on how climbers and mountaineers use dictionaries, glossaries, and similar resources dedicated to mountaineering (such as Matt Samet's Climbing Dictionary from 2011 or Wikipedia's Climbing Term glossary). This research is entirely non-commercial and my goal is to find out if the many resources there are of this type are actually used - and how. If you are at all interested and would like to contribute to this research, you are invited to participate in a SurveyMonkey questionnaire (https://de.surveymonkey.com/r/6QMPGXN). Your answers will be reported anonymously in research papers. I am, of course, happy to answer any questions you might have about this topic, and would be extremely grateful for any participant - feedback has been a bit slow, so getting more responses would be quite helpful.

P.S.: Please note that I tried to contact the admins about posting this questionnaire but did not hear back (at least not in a way that was obvious to me - if I missed something, do let me know; I am new to this forum). If I need to change the post or add more info, please also let me know - thank you!

Post edited at 18:36
In reply to MountaineeringEng:

...I can see that some of you have responded straight away - absolutely amazing, thank you so much!

dunc56 18 Mar 2024

Am I being harsh or is the answer - phone, Google ?

no need for antediluvian methods ?

In reply to dunc56:

I'm sure just googling and reading whatever comes up first is a common strategy nowadays! Often, however, those answers that are shown by Google are part of glossaries (Wikipedia's comes up early for many terms, I have found). But the questionnaire is one way of finding out to what extent those other tools are used and would give us a more robust answer; I don't just want to assume but base this on actual data .

dunc56 18 Mar 2024

Just out of interest. How did you find out what antediluvian meant ?

Brass Nipples 18 Mar 2024

I don’t use any dictionaries for climbing terms 

In reply to Brass Nipples:

> I don’t use any dictionaries for climbing terms 

I can’t understand you. 

Brass Nipples 18 Mar 2024
In reply to Thugitty Jugitty:

> I can’t understand you. 

Turn your hearing aid up 😂

profitofdoom 18 Mar 2024

Done it, good luck 

In reply to profitofdoom:

Thank you - and everyone else who has participated thus far! Posting this questionnaire here has more than doubled the responses already, which is awesome!

Andy Say 20 Mar 2024

One of the first I came across that was laid out as a 'dictionary' rather than an 'instruction manual'- 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Encyclopaedic-Dictionary-Mountaineering-Peter-Crew...

The Norris 20 Mar 2024

A strange subject, but whatever floats your boat! All done 😊

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...