Possible crag for development, Swindale

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rog Wilko 31 Oct 2021

I thought it was about time I posted something on here about climbing. While strolling down Swindale back in June I spotted a little crag which doesn't get a mention  in the current guide. General laziness meant I didn't scramble up the steep hillside just to get a look, and I think it's unlikely I'll return with gear and a partner, so I thought I'd put some details up here and if anyone's interested, pay a visit.

The picture shows a somewhat broken crag with a decent looking slab and probably some good bouldering. It lies further up the valley from Gouther Crags and the grid reference might be about 508122.

deacondeacon 31 Oct 2021
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Pretty sure this is Dog Crag on here. It looks good 👍 

Route Adjuster 31 Oct 2021
In reply to deacondeacon:

Myself and a couple of mates put up some routes there a few years back, as others have said, Dog Crag is what we thought it should be called. There was evidence of earlier attention, a couple of very old pegs! It is worth a visit and possibly a few lines left to claim.

OP Rog Wilko 31 Oct 2021
In reply to Route Adjuster:

Now I see your photographs I can see that what I took to be a biggish slab isn't.

The Pylon King 01 Nov 2021
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Well researched!

Michael Gordon 01 Nov 2021
In reply to The Pylon King:

I'd go easy on folk who are kindly suggesting crags for someone else to develop. Wouldn't want to put them off doing so again in future...

The Pylon King 01 Nov 2021
In reply to Michael Gordon:

> I'd go easy on folk who are kindly suggesting crags for someone else to develop. Wouldn't want to put them off doing so again in future...

and then only to find out its already been developed and on UKC for all to see?

The intent was obviously very kind and generous but.......

Michael Gordon 02 Nov 2021

Well, you'd be fairly naive not to have some sceptism in your mind reading online about a possible new crag in England or Wales. 

> Well, you'd be fairly naive not to have some sceptism in your mind reading online about a possible new crag in England or Wales. 

Except it has happened. Even in the Lakes. Beats another Brexit/Covid thread?

OP Rog Wilko 03 Nov 2021

I forgot to check it on the find crags map. Humble apologies.

The Pylon King 03 Nov 2021

> Well, you'd be fairly naive not to have some sceptism in your mind reading online about a possible new crag in England or Wales. 

There's still loads if you know where to look.

Olaf Prot 04 Nov 2021
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I was walking around here the other day and saw a huge crag with no bolts on it, there's nothing on Gary Gibson's Peak sport climbing website, and it's unlikely I'll return with a drill and bolt kit, so I thought I'd put some details up here and see if anyone's interested?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3472912,-1.6420372,15z

OP Rog Wilko 04 Nov 2021
In reply to Olaf Prot:

How very droll.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...