Peterborough

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 leland stamper 11 Sep 2022

Have discovered I'm spending a long weekend(inc. Bonfire night) just outside Peterborough. Can't believe there is nowhere to climb according to UKC. Rather be outside even in November but inside will do. Help!

SouthernSteve 11 Sep 2022
In reply to leland stamper:

The chalky, but adequate Peterborough wall closed at the beginning of the pandemic and their lease was not renewed. 

A private wall at Mepal (between Peterborough and Ely), was never at all good and also closed during that time. 

I think you will have to cross-train that weekend, unless there are some school or other venues open to the public or travel, which rather defeats being in Peterborough for the weekend!

wbo2 11 Sep 2022
In reply to leland stamper: how far 'just outside ?  I think there's a wall in Wisbech, but I haven't been. 

I spent the first years of my life just yards from the old Mepal location.. 

C Witter 11 Sep 2022

Wisbech bouldering or Cambridge Rocket Up or something like that. I'm surprised you're surprised that there's nothing to climb in the Fens... well... except railway bridges and trees!

Ramblin dave 11 Sep 2022
In reply to C Witter:

> I'm surprised you're surprised that there's nothing to climb in the Fens... well... except railway bridges and trees!

I was about to suggest that Slawston might be an alright drive...

In reply to C Witter:

I was surprised at the lack of bridges and walls. As an Essex boy we developed several railway bridges after Beeching stopped the trains. I saw Slawston on UKC but it is a bit of a drive as is Cambridge. I am tempted by Slawston though.

In reply to SouthernSteve:

That's a bit tough both walls closing. Cross training? Any wild swimming about? Might be fun

C Witter 12 Sep 2022

2hrs 30 to the Peak... a bit further but possibly worth it, even though it's all so short

JimR 12 Sep 2022
In reply to C Witter:

1:30 to Peak or Yorkshire just a bit further.

Rainbow Rocket or Kelsey Kerridge in Cambridge.

simonthelwall 12 Sep 2022

There's a club wall in Grafham, about 30 miles to the south of Peterborough.

Very much looking forward to the new Ferry Meadows activity centre being built:
https://www.nenepark.org.uk/lakeside-activity-centre 

Bulls Crack 12 Sep 2022
In reply to SouthernSteve:

What about the Cathedral? A mighty pice of stone..use the cover of fireworks/smoke for night-time buildering 

Arcturus 12 Sep 2022

There’s a 15 metre climbing tower (outdoor) at Tallington which is about 6 miles from Peterborough. I’ve never used it so can’t offer any opinion. Google Tallington Lakes for a bit more detail. 

In reply to Arcturus:

Seems very reasonable at £10 pp for two hours or £20 for an instructor as far as I can make out.

https://www.tallington.com/land-activities/climbing-centre/

Definite potential.

In reply to simonthelwall:

This looks great. Clearly I am ahead of my time and should have deiayed holidaying in Peterboro for a couple of years.Can you swim in the lakes without being poisoned? I'm assuming so as there appear to be a number of boats about.

In reply to Bulls Crack:

Sounds like a plan. Thank you. Any suggestions as to which side? Is there a topo?

Post edited at 20:39
In reply to C Witter:

I think it's quicker from where I live in Somerset. May give this one a miss. Never really done anything on grit.

SDM 12 Sep 2022

Can't help for once you're there, but if you're starting from Bristol, you could stop off for some bouldering or trad in Leicestershire on the way there/back without too much of a detour (or if the weather's bad, the walls in Birmingham, Coventry or Milton Keynes ).

Forest Rock is the pick of the Leicestershire bouldering but it's at it's best in the 7s and 8s. There's a few problems from 5 to 6B, but not much. It also has a handful of routes with a VD, a VS and a good E1 that may interest you. Access is sensitive as it's in the middle of a village, right next to houses, but it's fine if you're quiet and sensible.

For lower grade bouldering, there's plenty of quick drying granite at Cademan Wood and Broad Hill. The average quality there is not great, but there's enough hidden gems to keep you going for a session or two and most of it is low enough to be fine on your own with just one pad (some of it is hilariously lowball).

Or there's some low grade bouldering/micro routes at  Beacon Hill.

As other's have mentioned,  Slawston Bridge has some surprisingly good vert sandstone bouldering for a bridge and may be close enough to justify a trip from Peterborough itself, rather than on your way there/back.

Michael Hood 12 Sep 2022

Although  Slawston Bridge may be a bit of a drive - looks to be about 45 minutes from Peterborough - remember that the time from car to "rock" is only about 3 seconds (in comparison Main Wall or the Sea Walls in the gorge are a protracted hike to get to).

It's highball height, low enough so you'd never kill yourself (unless you timed it well and fell backwards into the path of the very occasional oncoming car), but high enough to make the top-outs a bit nervy. Go up to the top and check out where any finishing slots are beforehand.

veteye 12 Sep 2022

You can swim under the bridge at Wansford, west of Peterborough on the A47, where it crosses the A1.

Slawston is worth the trip. It is a little confusing as to where it is, as it is not in the village of Slawston. I live in Stamford, north of Peterborough, and would say that it is not as long as 45 minutes to get there from PBO. There are stakes on top for placing slings/ropes etc.

There's the wall in Northampton, which is about 50 minutes away. Similar time for Milton Keynes.

Post edited at 23:25

Thank you all. You have been very thoughtful and I have lots of options to keep my mental wellbeing intact whilst spending time in sunny Peterborough. If I actually get to do anything of interest(to me) I will be sure to let you know(with photos).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...