Pembroke range east restrictions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 timmyhobby 13 Jul 2020

Hi, 

I am off to Pembroke this Saturday for a week and wanted to go to some of the firing range restricted areas on the weekends but cant due to no briefings being held while the corona virus is effecting everything and also for mid week what other venues are there, i have just got the rockfax book but it only has some of the St Davids crags and mothers carey's that are going to be climbable at the moment, if there are other places that need a different guidebook ill pick one up when i get there, thanks in advance,

Tim

Derek Furze 13 Jul 2020
In reply to timmyhobby:

You can go into the Range East firing ranges when the flags are not flying.  You don't need a briefing for this - it is only Range West that is controlled to those who attend the annual briefings.  Loads of Pembroke is accessible much of the time (everything east of Stack Rocks when the range is not in use).  If you haven't been, this includes some of the best climbing around and 1000's of routes

salad fingers 13 Jul 2020
In reply to timmyhobby:

Also check the BMC Regional Access Database for nesting bird restrictions which affect many cliffs

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/modules/RAD/

Ram MkiV 13 Jul 2020

Is the campsite open now?

petegunn 13 Jul 2020
In reply to timmyhobby:

Like others have mentioned, there are thousands of superb routes that you can access without having to go to any briefings, unless there are particular routes in those areas you want to do. The bird restrictions are probably the most affecting thing at this time of year so have a look at those, either in your guide on on the bmc rad pages.

The surfing is good on a rainy day.

John2 13 Jul 2020
In reply to Ram MkiV:

Camp sites in Wales are allowed to open from the 25th - I don't know if the one in Bosherston will be opening then.

spenser 13 Jul 2020
In reply to Ram MkiV:

Campsites in Wales in general open up on 26th July I think.

In reply to timmyhobby:

As others have said, might be ok. They're normally pretty hot on updating the recorded message. Not sure if that's true this year. Anyone confirm?
Call 01646 662367 about 8:30 to find out what's open. Also https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/castlemartin-firing-notice--2/
If it is closed all week, to answer your question, there's loads that's neither in the rockfax book nor the ranges and leaves you with only weather, tides and bird bans to worry about.

In reply to timmyhobby:

Is Mowing Word in the rockfax? Plenty there. 

Post edited at 22:07
 nikoid 13 Jul 2020
In reply to Longsufferingropeholder:

The information on the firing notice is not as helpful as it used to be. 

When I last looked there was a spreadsheet with a row showing the situation for each day of the current month, which was much clearer. Not sure what's happened to that.

John2 14 Jul 2020
In reply to nikoid:

I think that will improve from August onwards. There is usually unlimited access to Range East including weekdays for the whole month of August - as far as I am aware this will be the case this year.

Elfyn Jones 14 Jul 2020
In reply to timmyhobby:

We've been told its highly unlikely there will be any more Range West briefings in 2020 (the main reason being that large indoor gatherings are just not possible under the Covid Regulations and certainly in Wales, this is unlikely to change this year).

Range East is essentially business as usual, except that there are few more nesting bird restrictions, but most of these come off at the end of July if not sooner. There are up to date notices detailing these at all the main car parks along the Castlemartin Army Range., as well the BMC RAD.

Campsites in Wales can reopen from July 25th onwards, but its worth phoning ahead to check if the campsite you intend to stay at is open. Most will probably only be accepting advance bookings due to Covid restrictions. 

Wild camping and van camping at the various car parks (especially the MoD, National Trust and National Park car parks) is prohibited by bylaws which are being strictly enforced this year. 

The BMC local Access volunteer, Steve Quinton is doing a BMC Facebook Live presentation and Q&A  with the most up to date info for Pembrokeshire on Thursday this week  and can answer any questions on climbing information for this area. 

https://www.facebook.com/BritishMountaineeringCouncil

Elfyn Jones

Access & Conservation Officer (Wales)

John2 19 Jul 2020
In reply to nikoid:

The web site has now been updated for the remainder of July https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/castlemartin-firing-notice--2/ca... .

As usual, Range East will be completely unrestricted for the entire month of August.

nikoid 19 Jul 2020
In reply to John2:

Hmm. Somebody's not checked this. The sub headings still say June, although the daily information does have July dates. This website used to be better. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...