Kalymnos - are there parking issues there?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 slawosz 04 Sep 2018

Hi, I am going to Kalymnos mid-October and I wonder how does it work with car park near the crags - is there always place to park a car? I never ride a scooter, so I am not considering renting one.

Orkie 04 Sep 2018
In reply to slawosz:

Never had a problem parking a car. At a few places (e.g. Cave), you have to park a few hundred metres down the road.

full stottie 04 Sep 2018
In reply to slawosz:

Me neither

Dave

Carless 04 Sep 2018
In reply to slawosz:

Once had a car tyre let down parked below Arhi so presumably someone objected to how I was parked

jon 04 Sep 2018
In reply to Carless:

Rather contradicting your user name there, Jon!

Deadeye 04 Sep 2018
In reply to slawosz:

Be careful - apparently it's a warzone

yoshi.h 04 Sep 2018
In reply to slawosz:

You can basically park anywhere. We were just there last week and used a car for a week and had no issues finding a spot near approach routes at any of the crags. When I asked the car rental guy about where we can't park he said 'just not in the middle of the road'. Enjoy!

As for the 'warzone' that is Kalymnos mentioned in a recent thread, I came across one route that was named incorrectly. I'm not sure if this was part of this silly alleged tirade but just check your topo and use your head Enjoy!

Post edited at 22:17
 ashtond6 04 Sep 2018
In reply to Deadeye:

Comment of the week  

What a bloody warzone

OP slawosz 05 Sep 2018

Thanks for info. And regarding rental, should I book now or there is enough cars and I can arrange rental after arrival?

SGD 05 Sep 2018
In reply to slawosz:

You shouldn't have any problem hiring a car after you have arrived. Walk up and down the main street a few times and get a few prices.

or

Book in advance and get them to drop it off at the ferry port for you - this will save you a taxi ride. however if you've never driven there before it might be worth taking option A.

JoshOvki 05 Sep 2018
In reply to Carless:

Did you leave a copy of the rockfax guidebook on your window?

yoshi.h 05 Sep 2018
In reply to slawosz:

We just walked in to one of many car rental places and got a car within 10 mins paid by cash. If you are in Myrties or Masouri there are many rental places around reachable by short walk from any point. Depending on how many of you there are renting an ATV is also an awesome option. You can ride these two by two, they are compact for parking, easy to manuevure (think go karts) and all round great to be out in the island air, and can be rented for around 40eu per day.

Post edited at 12:46
 Carless 05 Sep 2018
In reply to jon:

It was rented under my wife's name - honest!

Carless 05 Sep 2018
In reply to JoshOvki:

I imagine this was well before the rockfax topo was envisaged

John Ww 05 Sep 2018
In reply to yoshi.h:

Despite having ridden 750cc sports bikes for years, by far the scariest vehicle I’ve ever been in (partial) control of was a quad bike in Kalymnos last year!

Steering - random

Braking - non-existent 

Fun factor - huge!

earlsdonwhu 06 Sep 2018
In reply to slawosz:

There have been parking issues from inconsiderate parking which hinders the farmer's access at Arginonta and, not surprisingly, hacks him off. There is plenty of space but some people have been careless.

OP slawosz 07 Sep 2018

Great, thanks for help! Last question - is 35 eur a day good price for a car in October?

SGD 07 Sep 2018
In reply to slawosz:

Yep - we expect to pay anywhere from 28 > 40 depending on what we can get etc etc

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...