John Woolley

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rachel Settle 08 Jan 2023

Does anyone remember a climber called John Woolley, active in the Lakes/North Wales in the late 70s? He was my Dad and died in 1981 aged 33. He was a Preston lad originally. My gran always spoke of the time my Dad and Joe Tasker popped in on the way back from climbing in North Wales and Joe demolished her cake supply I was 7 when he died and am a climber myself. Looking for any memories (good or bad!) that anyone may have. Many thanks. 

Dave Cundy 08 Jan 2023
In reply to Rachel Settle:

You might try contacting the Preston Mountaineering Club.  I'm in the Fylde and don't recall the name being mentioned in our club (I joined in 1984).

regards

Dave

Trythallj 09 Jan 2023

Is that the John Woolley who was at Leeds University? I met him through a climbing friend who was at Oxford, Ian Grant. I'm in touch with Ian still, and will contact him if this is your father.

OP Rachel Settle 09 Jan 2023
In reply to Dave Cundy:

Many thanks for replying Dave. That’s a good idea I hadn’t considered! All the best, Rachel.

OP Rachel Settle 09 Jan 2023
In reply to Trythallj:

Thank you so much for replying. I definitely remember my Dad having a doctor friend called Ian Grant. I’ll email you if that’s Ok. Rachel. 

Trythallj 09 Jan 2023

Yes, Ian is a retired doctor. Feel free to email me. John

Nevans1 09 Jan 2023

It might also be worth contacting the Achille Ratti club,which was centred on that area and my father was a member at that time and spoke of Joe Tasker in connection with the club, this is supported by their on line records, but individual members may have some useful information.

regards

Neil

OP Rachel Settle 10 Jan 2023
In reply to Nevans1:

Thank you so much for that info, Neil. I’d never heard of Achille Ratti but it could certainly overlap with my Dad’s activities in the 70s. I’ll look into them. Thanks again! Rachel 

lpretro1 11 Jan 2023
In reply to Dave Cundy:

The name is not one we have in our records(which go back a long way) so don't think he was one of our members

jon 11 Jan 2023
In reply to Trythallj:

> Yes, Ian is a retired doctor. Feel free to email me. John

I don't want to derail this, but I've climbed in the alps with Ian, but haven't heard of him in ages. Say hi from me - he'll know who you mean!

Jon

OP Rachel Settle 11 Jan 2023
In reply to lpretro1: Thanks for taking the time to check - really appreciate it!

wercat 12 Jan 2023

What a lovely thread

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...