It's finally stopped raining, when will pillar rock be in condition?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gravy 28 May 2021

It's finally stopped raining, when will pillar rock be in condition?

Thanks!

LakesWinter 28 May 2021
In reply to gravy:

My estimate would be 4 dry days after all this rain? so monday pm into tuesday for the west faces of high and low man.

North face of low man takes longer

OP gravy 28 May 2021
In reply to LakesWinter:

Fab, thanks - looking for Wednesday and beyond...

LakesWinter 28 May 2021
In reply to gravy:

Should be good to go if it stays dry. Enjoy! There's so many fantastic routes.

OP gravy 28 May 2021
In reply to LakesWinter:

I'd quite like to (eventually) walk off and up to the summit of Pillar rock and then back down to Ennerdale.  Do you know if it's easy to walk/scramble that way?

RobAJones 28 May 2021
In reply to gravy:

To scramble off Pillar Rock the slab and notch descent is a grade 3 scramble that requires care. The route isn't obvious and would have been tricky to follow in the past, but now you have plenty of polished rock to guide the way. The rest is straightforward. 

OP gravy 28 May 2021
In reply to RobAJones:

so scramble down S+N then circle round left (facing crag) behind the crag (high man) and up to the summit of pillar rock?

RobAJones 28 May 2021
In reply to gravy:

> so scramble down S+N then circle round left (facing crag) behind the crag (high man) and up to the summit of pillar rock?

Yep, I normally refer to High man as the top of Pillar Rock so you will be ascending Pillar Mountain after S+N but I think we are on the same page. There is an obvious path up Pillar Mountain as lots of walker often traverse from Black Sail to look at Pillar Rock before going up to the summit of Pillar Mountain. 

OP gravy 28 May 2021
In reply to RobAJones:

Great - it's always nice to finish the day at the summit!

LakesWinter 28 May 2021
In reply to LakesWinter:

Regarding getting off High Man, its quicker to abseil into jordan Gap and then, with your back to the rock and facing Pisgah/Pillar mountain, climb the right edge of the wall of pisgah. This is 1 move of mod followed by very easy scrambling over pisgah to get to the col between Pisgah and pillar mountain. A track then goes up to the top of Pillar 

tjhare1 28 May 2021
In reply to LakesWinter:

Quicker perhaps but whilst it is only a few easy moves onto pisgah, they are exposed moves. For me, the best combination of easy/quick/safe is probably ab into the gap and scramble down the very easy gully on the E side for a few metres to the start of slab and notch proper. Definitely quicker than cautiously down climbing S&N with a rope and easier than the pisgah traverse. But, each to their own...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...