Is it insensitive to develop a crag in a place with a former fatality?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Exksalted 27 Feb 2024

Last spring I was scouting for some new climbing locations to sevelop. I came upon this historical quarry with good climbing potential. On the base of it though, were candles signed by grieving relatives.

I couldn't find any news about a death happening there, so I have no information to go on. From what I understand the land is owned by the city, and climbing wouldn't land me in legal troubles etc.

What I'm asking is: Is it insensitive/bad taste to develop this area for climbing? Especially if I do it as respectfully as possible, by bringing in candles and flowers of my own.

I'm thinking it would be fine, but I'm interested in hearing what others have to say.

Insensitive or not?

Do not even think about developing this area.
1 vote | 0%
Only if you do it respectfully.
33 votes | 0%
It's fine
183 votes | 0%
Login to vote

Lankyman 27 Feb 2024
In reply to Exksalted:

Going by the photo is it actually worth developing?

jkarran 27 Feb 2024
In reply to Exksalted:

By develop, I guess you mean bolt, leaving something of you there rather than a bit of cleaning and landscaping. You might upset someone, you might not, that's all it boils down to. Knowing the backstory to the shrine might help a little in working out how likely either option is.

jk

OP Exksalted 27 Feb 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

A great question! I know it doesn't look great, but what I have near me this is almost the best I got. Plan is not to do any bolting or such, only clean up routes for bouldering/high balls.

Post edited at 15:42
 George Ormerod 27 Feb 2024
In reply to Exksalted:

I'm sure it will be fine.  Just imagine all the tragic goings on we don't know about at the Lancs quarries, Pex Hill, etc. and yet we still climb there.

jimtitt 27 Feb 2024
In reply to Exksalted:

I pass at least four roadside shrines on my drive into town, doesn't stop me or all the other road users. Fundamentally we couldn't care less.

mike barnard 27 Feb 2024
In reply to Exksalted:

Plenty of routes on Beinn Eighe despite that airplane crash!

JimR 27 Feb 2024
In reply to Exksalted:

A few people have jumped off the top of Cheddar or Avon. I know a few people who have had close encounters with a suicide in these places. 

TobyA 27 Feb 2024
In reply to Exksalted:

Is it in Finland? Looks very like lots of lumps of rock I used to find in Finland. If not Finland, Sweden would be my next guess, as Swedish forest granite lumps look very similar to Finnish ones!

Rog Wilko 27 Feb 2024
In reply to Exksalted:

Is there such a thing as ice bouldering?

TobyA 27 Feb 2024
 Abr 27 Feb 2024
In reply to Exksalted:

Go for it, we’ve all climbed on crags that people have dropped off!! My local crag is Windgather….every year there is a wreath under portfolio where a guy lost his life, I used to climb it for him whenever I saw it….

wintertree 27 Feb 2024
In reply to Exksalted:

You drive to the crag on a road in a car right?

Lankyman 27 Feb 2024
In reply to jimtitt:

> I pass at least four roadside shrines on my drive into town, doesn't stop me or all the other road users. Fundamentally we couldn't care less.

Here's a memorial at Warton Main https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3232937

I used to pray every time I climbed there

OP Exksalted 27 Feb 2024
In reply to TobyA:

Well noticed! 

This is the old Viborgite quarry in Österbacken, west Vantaa.

OP Exksalted 27 Feb 2024
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I have no idea, but I will not be climbing before all the ice and snow melts.

OP Exksalted 27 Feb 2024
In reply to wintertree:

Well, a bus, as the public transportation is quite good here!

TobyA 27 Feb 2024
In reply to Exksalted:

> This is the old Viborgite quarry in Österbacken, west Vantaa.

I'm intrigued now, I lived in west Vantaa (Kivistö) for 8 years so thought I had checked out most of the bits of rock in that time, but can't work out where this is. I had to Google viborgite to realise it's rapakivi, but can't think of a rapakivi quarry in Vantaa (we did find and climb a two pitch icefall in a massive one somewhere near Lieksa) and my brain is totally failing to work out what Österbacken is in Finnish (Itä-something?). Can you give us a bit more of a clue? (I live in Derbyshire now, so am not about to swoop in and nick your first ascents! 😀)

OP Exksalted 27 Feb 2024
In reply to TobyA:

Oh for sure! Here are the coordinates!

60.273062, 24.766684

I have been scouting all over Vantaa for boulderable pieces of rock. I now have over 200km of walking done, and a few decent new places found. Should be only 4-6 weeks anymore before I can start climbing!

And yeah, Österbacken roughly translates to East-Hill in English and Itämäki or something in Finnish, but only the swedish name is used. It ironically is in the westernmost side of Vantaa.

Post edited at 20:47
 pec 27 Feb 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

> Here's a memorial at Warton Main https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3232937

> I used to pray every time I climbed there

Is that for the soul of the deceased or that you will get out of there alive yourself?

Damo 28 Feb 2024
In reply to Exksalted:

Wait until you hear about Mount Everest! :-o 

HeMa 28 Feb 2024
In reply to Exksalted:

One thing to note is, that the cliff base is on a natural protection reserve... so depending on where actually the line goes, any kind of moss or lichen removal can be considered an actual crime.

These natural preservation/protection reserves can easily be checked from the classic finnish maps. Luckily these can be easily accessed online via https://kartta.paikkatietoikkuna.fi/ Use the maastokartta layer.

OP Exksalted 28 Feb 2024
In reply to HeMa:

Yes! I know this quite well. Luckily the line's pretty far from the actual cliff face. Thank you for keeping people in check!

65 28 Feb 2024
In reply to Damo:

> Wait until you hear about Mount Everest! :-o 

Or that heartless bastard Heckmair.

ad111 29 Feb 2024
In reply to Exksalted:

Could it be worth heading either east or west towards Sipoo or Kirkkonummi where the rock quality is better and boulders are more inspiring than the leftovers in Helsinki/Vantaa/Espoo? + There are still some easily accessible unclimbed (at least unlogged in 27 crags) high quality rocks.

OP Exksalted 29 Feb 2024
In reply to ad111:

For sure would be! I'm currently trying to find the best things near me, as I don't have a car and I need to get by with public transportation.

Vantaa is surprisingly quite unexplored - compared to the tens of premium crags on 27 in Helsinki there are only 3 in the area of Vantaa. I have explored west-Vantaa almost completely now, and have east-Vantaa left, where most of the POI:s are and rock quality is better. Already found a few decent places all around here.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...